[BBC News] Speeding 'video' drivers warned

Newsbot

This is probably becoming a circular argument as usual - but to qualify my earlier post and the points subsequently raised.

I have travelled at 140mph on the Mountain mile. There was nothing else in either carriageway for as far as the eye could see, I was in a supercar (and once also on a superbike in similar circumstances) and deemed it safe. I didn't factor in a wandering goat, but there's always a chance I might have seen it and avoided it, had it materialised by magic. There are very few derestricted roads suitable for a high speed hoon, but that's one of them.

I'm a former club-class racing driver, campaigned in modsports and Formula Ford for some years and won two championships. I take driving and safety VERY seriously, and last year became an IAM member after some superb tuition.

I'm admittedly not as confident on a bike though, and am considering doing an IAM course on my Yamaha. I DO make mistakes, and am quick to admit to them in the hope that others can learn without the pain.

Of course, I could be killed tomorrow by driving at 140mph. Or hit by a loose slate, electrocuted by faulty wiring or caught by a cuckolded husband. My only intention is to do my best not to take anyone with me.

It is a circular argument and the more so as most of us believe we have superior driving skills whether we have or not. There are some people on the road with the skill and experience to drive fast because they have got the experience and training elsewhere of driving fast. I believe some of the car companies who sell fast cars used to insist that before you bought one of their cars new you went on such a course.

Most of us have not and some drive and expect to drive at what I consider to be very high speeds without any training or assessment with regard to driving at those speeds.

My personnal view is that if you are deemed safe with the appropriate ability and skill to drive at a high speed having been probably assessed you should possibly be allowed to. Certainly I would have much less of an issue with that than the current position where any Tom Dick or Harriet without the required training can. On that basis I would introduce an all Island speed limit but those who had passed an appropriate test etc etc were allowed to exceed. Maybe an S plate for speedster! We have plates which restrict you below the standard limits so whty not plates allowing you to exceed the standard limits.

I have to admit similar views apply to the UK where as soon as you past your test you can go straight on Motorway without any training which being an old fuddy duddy I have my doubts over. Passing your test gives you little or no training for driving on a motorway. I always remember my first time on a Motorway and with wides roads and every other vehicle going 80 you quickly forget how fast you are going. It was quiet frightening the first time I came across a stationey line of traffic to learn how hard and quickly you must break or how quickly you come up to a junction after you have come off.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do i always get stuck behind the git farting along at 30mph :crying:

Because you're too scared to drive at 50mph? God, you should be overtaking them with your eyes closed at that speed....film it too, to show everyone how ace you are.

I was watching men and motors last week and they had a load of bikers, famous ones maybe, testing 1000cc bikes on the mountain road. They had cameras placed on the fuel tank to get a good view of the speedo as they got up to 147mph going up towards Kates from the Creg. Imagine my surprise to see that they were doing this on open roads! During rush hour by the looks of things too! They couldn't really review the bikes as it happens because there was too much traffic around for them to test them properly....Is this worse or better than posting vidoes on youtube? Yes, they're professional racers but it's a great advert for all of those fair weather bikers who ride around in the dry on weekends from April to September.

Presumably they'd need some kind of permit to film, or would be required to notify the police of what they were doing? I suppose it was because they were only here because it's the 'road racing capital of the world' and who'd say a thing against it in that case. I find it very hypocritical.

Keyboarder - rather than the usual 'I don't do it so nobody else should' knee-jerk response, why not consider that your own limitations aren't universal.

Ooh, another buffoon. Knee jerk response to what? My points of view on speed and the mountain road have been extremely well thought through over a long period.

I'm happy to drive safely at high speeds, you are apparently not.

Wrong again. I'm perfectly happy to drive at high speeds when safe to do so.

The fact that you might be able to play football or know the dance steps to 'YMCA' and I can't/don't doesn't offend me or have me calling you names or calling for a ban on others doing things that I find silly or pointless.

I can do neither of those things. And they're irrelevant as I don't see how they can be a danger to others - you're just waffling.

Similarly, colourful one-piece bike leathers make me look like a pregnant frog with a fat arse - but if others feel happy wearing them, crack on.

You can't blame that on the leathers.

Come on KB - stop being a grumpy and offensive little man - I know that under the internet tough guy bile there's a considerate human lurking...

Hmm, wrong on all counts - you're mistaking me for someone else.

how is 140mph over the moutain abusing a law??? there is no speed limit.

You go to an office party and the bar tab is taken care of by the company. Happy Days! You milk it by swilling as much in quantity and variety as you can handle. Except you can't really handle it and unfortunately vomit all over an attractive young barmaid. It spoils any chance you had of getting off with her and you were well in there as well, lol..... Apart from the fact that she had you down as an uncivilised oaf who was really getting on her nerves. Now, you weren't altogether out of order by quaffing too many free drinks, that was your firms reward for a full if a little lacklustre in performance terms year, but you overdid it, everybody thought so, lol....... ; )

You're confusing breaking the law with abusing the law...........

as long you are in control and pose no danger to other road users or yourself what's the issue? many vehicles ( motorbikes especially ) are quite stable and safe/happy to be moving at those speeds on days when visibillity and road conditions allow. too much speed in the wrong places, or on wet or icy roads is what causes accidents and bad press. look how many crashes there were with the last little snowfall!! not driving to road conditions is the problem, and thats just bad driving, nothing to do with speed. speed alone does not kill, missuse of speed can.

You are living in Speed Cliche City. At those speeds you are a danger regardless of the law, which is after all, an ass. And speaking of asses ; ) ,

I'm a former club-class racing driver, campaigned in modsports and Formula Ford for some years and won two championships. I take driving and safety VERY seriously, and last year became an IAM member after some superb tuition.

Well done you. But what has any of that got to do with the thread apart from nothing.

I'm admittedly not as confident on a bike though, and am considering doing an IAM course on my Yamaha. I DO make mistakes, and am quick to admit to them in the hope that others can learn without the pain.

God you need to do courses to gain a bit of confidence? It's worse than I thought - you should do a course in taking the bus. : (((

Of course, I could be killed tomorrow by driving at 140mph.

You said it.

Or hit by a loose slate, electrocuted by faulty wiring

More pointless red herrings.

or caught by a cuckolded husband.

Lol,lol.. ; ) Now we know you're in Fantasy Land..........

Of course, I could be killed tomorrow by driving at 140mph. Or hit by a loose slate, electrocuted by faulty wiring or caught by a cuckolded husband. My only intention is to do my best not to take anyone with me.

Even the best racing drivers make mistakes and thats on race tracks with other racing drivers, not like the mountain road where around any corner there could be someone doing 30-40mph or some twat overtaking on a blind bend.... 140mph on a public road (that isn't even straight) is fucking ridiculous.

I'm just hoping your speed attempt was done on mad Sunday, during TT 2007 or on closed roads in one of the rallies with other speed freaks......

Similarly, colourful one-piece bike leathers make me look like a pregnant frog with a fat arse - but if others feel happy wearing them, crack on.

You can't blame that on the leathers.

:lol:

Nice bit of quoting too KB!!, i'd have stuffed that up after 6 individual quotes!

Why do i always get stuck behind the git farting along at 30mph :crying:

Because you're too scared to drive at 50mph? God, you should be overtaking them with your eyes closed at that speed....film it too, to show everyone how ace you are.

I was watching men and motors last week and they had a load of bikers, famous ones maybe, testing 1000cc bikes on the mountain road. They had cameras placed on the fuel tank to get a good view of the speedo as they got up to 147mph going up towards Kates from the Creg. Imagine my surprise to see that they were doing this on open roads! During rush hour by the looks of things too! They couldn't really review the bikes as it happens because there was too much traffic around for them to test them properly....Is this worse or better than posting vidoes on youtube? Yes, they're professional racers but it's a great advert for all of those fair weather bikers who ride around in the dry on weekends from April to September.

Presumably they'd need some kind of permit to film, or would be required to notify the police of what they were doing? I suppose it was because they were only here because it's the 'road racing capital of the world' and who'd say a thing against it in that case. I find it very hypocritical.

i too was thinking of the above program earlier today, as i recall some of the riders kept pulling wheelies too which i'm sure is a no no, not to mention well into 3 figure speeds. so why, with the video evidence in the public domain have there been no prosecutions?? perhaps because it wasn't actually dangerous eh??

Archived