[BBC News] Speeding 'video' drivers warned

Newsbot

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Motorcyclists who speed in order to upload videos of themselves to websites are putting themselves at risk, police say.

Why would they speed in order to upload videos of themselves?

That suggests they can't upload the videos unless they feature vehicles going very fast.

Is there a cut-off speed, below which the upload facility no longer works? :P

Yes I like how it's motorcyclists that only do this :rolleyes:

What is the purpose then, if there is one other than to try to look like a racer?

:lol: You are joking aren't you? I would have thought it was fairly obvious what they are for....

Tell you what, i'll take you out on the back of a bike (even mince over the mountain mile) just for you, and you can wear whatever you like, i'll wear my "power ranger suit" and proper helmet and you can wear a tu-tu and a cowboy hat if you want, then when we reach I don't know say 50mph (fairly sensible speed would you say?) you can jump off the back and find out exactly what the leathers are for.

Fucking idiot... <_<

You're just handing out more ammunition - declaring that bikers have to wear protective clothing because they expect to fall off from time to time.

I was baited by the fuckwit unfortunatly...

The same argument can be applied to wearing seatbelts though because you plan to crash from time to time! Sometimes people crash into you and might knock you off, if your wearing a tu-tu and cowboy hat you are more than likely going to die! Leathers and a good helmet might save your life in the same way a seatbelt might!

You're just handing out more ammunition - declaring that bikers have to wear protective clothing because they expect to fall off from time to time.

Surely you're not this dumb?

I should have been more specific - handing out more ammunition to keyboarder. Do you still need to ask about dumb?

What is the purpose then, if there is one other than to try to look like a racer?

I would have thought it was fairly obvious what they are for....

It is obvious - it's as I described.

Tell you what, i'll take you out on the back of a bike (even mince over the mountain mile) just for you, and you can wear whatever you like, i'll wear my "power ranger suit" and proper helmet and you can wear a tu-tu and a cowboy hat if you want, then when we reach I don't know say 50mph (fairly sensible speed would you say?) you can jump off the back and find out exactly what the leathers are for.

I wouldn't get on the back of anyone's bike, particularly inexperienced riders who are living out some childish fantasy.

I was baited by the fuckwit unfortunatly...

The same argument can be applied to wearing seatbelts though because you plan to crash from time to time!

Not really - the law insists upon seatbelts.

Sometimes people crash into you and might knock you off, if your wearing a tu-tu and cowboy hat you are more than likely going to die! Leathers and a good helmet might save your life in the same way a seatbelt might!

Let's clear this up, this is not about leathers per se, it's about the unnecessary wearing of racing leathers in order to look like something you are not. If safety is the ultimate concern the obvious answer is to not ride motorbikes at all. And what about people who are actually serious motorcyclists rather than the summer hobbyists? For example police riders or motorbike couriers? You never see them in silly leathers and knee sliders. I wonder why that is........ lol ; )

And what about people who are actually serious motorcyclists rather than the summer hobbyists? For example police riders or motorbike couriers? You never see them in silly leathers and knee sliders. I wonder why that is........ lol ; )

So it's just the bright colours (adding to visibility) and the knee sliders that are the problem? They wear the same sort of gear aside from that with the same kind of safety features.

So it's just the bright colours (adding to visibility) and the knee sliders that are the problem?

It isn't a problem, it's an observation.

They wear the same sort of gear aside from that with the same kind of safety features.

Do you really think couriers and coppers wear leather G-strings?

So it's just the bright colours (adding to visibility) and the knee sliders that are the problem?

It isn't a problem, it's an observation.

Mmm, ok, problem was perhaps the wrong word to use but you seem to have an issue with these particular elements (and you're being evasive).

They wear the same sort of gear aside from that with the same kind of safety features.

Do you really think couriers and coppers wear leather G-strings?

When were G-strings mentioned? I suppose they might wear them but I'll admit it's not something I've ever thought about before.

Still, I'm not quite sure how you make the quantum leap from people in brightly coloured protective clothing to leather G-strings for men.

• 2 weeks later...
Am I having deja vu or did you and Gavsta have this exact same discussion last year....?

Gavsta and I don't discuss things. I put it to him that he has delusions of being a top tt racer. He counters with some personal insults and then shouts troll and sulks off in a huff, devoid of any justifications as to why he should be allowed to act so irresponsibly, part of which is dressing up. He is curiously absent in this thread, which is a shame as he is one of the silly posters of the footage related to herein. I suspect he's dumbfounded as to why we don't all think he's supercool.

Archived