Dogs Home Reborn ?

cheeky boy

18 minutes ago, mollag said:

The smaller image was Jackie Fayles yard, on the site of one of three tanneries in the area, fed from the hides from [cattle] Market street. The arched entrance leads to Well rd Hill.

It's amazing that (some of) these images of old Douglas are more recent than you think. That cracker of Fayle's Yard for instance...the second vehicle from the left is an HB Vauxhall Viva; that variant of Ellesmere Port's finest came out in 1966, so the picture can't be any older than that. (The vehicle in the left foreground is possibly a Hillman Hunter, oddly, also introduced in 1966). Who'd have thought that such an image is "only" 50 years old. (Shite! Firstly, I realise what an old twat that makes me sound and secondly...I AM old!!...and probably a twat!).

I also distinctly remember the metal handrail in the stone wall on Well Road Hill opposite those cottages, with its twin further up on Crellin's Hill.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

It's amazing that (some of) these images of old Douglas are more recent than you think. That cracker of Fayle's Yard for instance...the second vehicle from the left is an HB Vauxhall Viva; that variant of Ellesmere Port's finest came out in 1966, so the picture can't be any older than that. (The vehicle in the left foreground is possibly a Hillman Hunter, oddly, also introduced in 1966). Who'd have thought that such an image is "only" 50 years old. (Shite! Firstly, I realise what an old twat that makes me sound and secondly...I AM old!!...and probably a twat!).

I also distinctly remember the metal handrail in the stone wall on Well Road Hill opposite those cottages, with its twin further up on Crellin's Hill.

I think that Hunter is actually one of it's badge engineered posher cousins the Humber Sceptre but i'll let you off.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, finlo said:

I think that Hunter is actually one of it's badge engineered posher cousins the Humber Sceptre but i'll let you off.

I think you're right and I almost suggested it was a Singer Gazelle (there was an "Arrow" SG) but it isn't; you're on the money with the Humber Sceptre spot.

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

I think you're right and I almost suggested it was a Singer Gazelle (there was an "Arrow" SG) but it isn't; you're on the money with the Humber Sceptre spot.

I didn't want to come over all geeky by mentioning Arrow series, but I think it's the little badge on the  c pillar that clinches it.

Edited by finlo

27 minutes ago, finlo said:

I didn't want to come over all geeky by mentioning Arrow series, but I think it's little badge on the  c pillar that clinches it.

I love geeky and of course I geeked off with the first reference to the Arrow series anyway, so keep your geeking quotient in the red zone!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mollag said:

Anything in partic that you like? I have a large portfoilio, or so the ladies tell me [well one did]  

This shot is my Great Grandfathers Barber shop on North Quay, Douglas, next to the Coffee Palace.

tobins barber shop.jpg

Is that building what is now Nadine House, where the Manx Credit Union operate out of?

ETA: Just looked at the enlarged view and it doesn't look like it is.

Edited by Andy Onchan

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Is that building what is now Nadine House, where the Manx Credit Union operate out of?

ETA: Just looked at the enlarged view and it doesn't look like it is.

Tis up the other end, about 50m from the Barbary coast eatery,  it would be the roadway past the car park now

On 8/19/2017 at 8:43 PM, quilp said:

I didn't believe it when my ma told me about this. But when nearly 100,000 visitors came here we had to have some attractions on the go...

polar-bears-groudle-isle-man.jpg

I was up there a couple of days ago and remembered swimming there.  Looking down, I can't imagine how we got there, but we did and it was one of the best day's swinming I have had.  The other was at the Port Erin swimming pool. 

If you walk beyond that pool, there is quite a poignant grave of a dog belonging to a service man.  I can't remember the detail but it was something along the lines of 'Here lies my good friend. Capt xx'

Shall go up again to find it. 

• Like 2

For the  old pub wallahs,The back bar of the Claree, now the Barbary Coast, it was in New Bond st, a separate premises to the Claree at one time with the marvelous name of "The Mahogany Bar", try saying that when you are bladdered!.

Poignant for me as it was where I had my first drink in a Pub [alcoholic that is] I was 15 and it was a Green Worthington over bitter.

Clarry.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mollag said:

I have read that, due to the upheaval of the first world war, the sealions were released to sea but the "Arctic bears" were shot.

Apparently the sea lions survived and were not released into the sea (a maritime myth) but the fate of the bears is unknown. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=34137&headline=A long read%3A The history of Groudle Glen&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2017

The pub pictures, by the way, are superb.

• Like 1