Road Closures For Tt

the_kitty

I've looked at the road closures list but I still have a question. We were going to head down to watch the senior race tomorrow, I assumed as it was only one race and a parade the roads would not be closed all day. It says on the list that they are closed until 6pm! We were going to watch from a field off the Cronk Y Voddy which I believe doesn't have any other access apart from on course. Does anyone know if they will open the course at any point tomorrow?

I think the times they quote are usually "no later than..."

I'm sure, if all goes according to plan, the roads will be open well before 6pm.

The only parts of the course they open between races are the crossing points and I believe these are only opened if there is a police officer there.

I don't think there's an official crossing point from where you intend to view the race tomorrow.

• 11 months later...

To settle an argument can anyone state categorically which is the first bit of course to open after practice session has finished. I reckon its Bray Hill Corner Shop Junction (Glencrutchery Road remains closed while the final lap is completed)

To settle an argument can anyone state categorically which is the first bit of course to open after practice session has finished. I reckon its Bray Hill Corner Shop Junction (Glencrutchery Road remains closed while the final lap is completed)

st ninians traffic lights by the petrol station and school building. same junction as you describe i think

At the Grandstand, the signal of "Flag All" is given. This means that competitors going through the Grandstand get a checkered flag and then carry on down Glencrutchery Road and get red flagged at the end and directed back up the Return Road at the top end of Nobles Park by St Andrew's Church.

A travelling marshal wearing a Red Jacket then sets off from the Grandstand and this indicates to Marshals that there are no more competitors due past them.

The roads open car comes up to St Ninians and joins the course there. Barriers are put across the junctions at Glencrutchery Road to keep this closed.

The Roads open car from St Ninians will go all the way around to Ramsey Hairpin and then wait there whilst the DOT put the cones etc back out.

A Second roads open car will have travelled up the Creg Back Road and when the Travelling Marshal with the Red Jacket comes over the mountain and reaches the Creg, then that Roads open car will travel from the Creg down past the Grandstand and through to St Ninians leaving just the Mountain road section closed.

Once all the cones are out on the Mountain then the first Roads Open Car travels from the Hairpin to the Creg.

If a section of the course needs to remain closed following an accident, then two cards will travel round from St Ninians. One will stop at the beginning of the section and the other will travel via back roads etc around the closed section and rejoin the course opening the rest of it. I understand that the Police Traffic cars also carry Roads Open signs and if needed they can be used to open sections. The Road Races Act that the roads are closed under states that the roads will be opened by a vehicle displaying "Roads Open" signs so this has to be adhered to.

Archived