On-board Graphics

My mum's PC stopped working a few weeks back, so she sent me down to have a look at it. The PC switches on but there's nothing on the monitor - in fact it comes on briefly then just goes back into stand-by mode.

My brother had the same problem a few years ago and back then it was his graphics card at fault, However, I tried several different things - different monitor, seating and re-seating the ram a stick at a time, tried and tested the hard drive in my machine (shows up fine) and basically it seems to be that it might be the on-board graphics that are at fault. I put in an old nvidia agp card but nothing changed, but I presume thats because I'd need to change the settings in the bios (which I cant see obviously) - but I thought that even on a new graphics card the startup screen would appear?

So if it is the on-board graphics (Asrock mobo - SiS integrated gfx I think) is there a workaround for it or is the motherboard screwed now? Or did I overlook something else that it could be? Any help would be appreciated :)

Most modern motherboards (ie anything in the last five years pretty much) should auto disable the on board graphics when they detect an auxiliary graphics card in a PCI/AGP slot. I'd suggest that the fact it doesn't is pointing to a wider issue with the PC.

My mum's PC stopped working a few weeks back, so she sent me down to have a look at it. The PC switches on but there's nothing on the monitor - in fact it comes on briefly then just goes back into stand-by mode.

My brother had the same problem a few years ago and back then it was his graphics card at fault, However, I tried several different things - different monitor, seating and re-seating the ram a stick at a time, tried and tested the hard drive in my machine (shows up fine) and basically it seems to be that it might be the on-board graphics that are at fault. I put in an old nvidia agp card but nothing changed, but I presume thats because I'd need to change the settings in the bios (which I cant see obviously) - but I thought that even on a new graphics card the startup screen would appear?

So if it is the on-board graphics (Asrock mobo - SiS integrated gfx I think) is there a workaround for it or is the motherboard screwed now? Or did I overlook something else that it could be? Any help would be appreciated :)

If you put in a separate graphics card and moved the monitor over to it and the monitor is still not displaying then it isn't the graphics as you have now bypassed them. Is the machine actually booting, HD activity light flashing or is it just powering down before complete boot up?

No its actually booting as far as I can tell, there is plenty of activity on the HD, and there's no error message beeps on startup.

Its not really an old machine, perhaps 2 or 3 years, so would have thought it'd override the on-board settings for the graphics when I installed the graphics card (which is working by the way, I tested it my machine just to make sure). Could it be possible that it isn't overriding the default settings?

No its actually booting as far as I can tell, there is plenty of activity on the HD, and there's no error message beeps on startup.

Its not really an old machine, perhaps 2 or 3 years, so would have thought it'd override the on-board settings for the graphics when I installed the graphics card (which is working by the way, I tested it my machine just to make sure). Could it be possible that it isn't overriding the default settings?

So even on a different card you are getting the same. Any chance of trying a different monitor ?

I tried 3 different monitors, never made a difference, never thought about the monitor cable though, will look into that. Cheers for the other suggestions too, will probably try them all over the weekend.

I tried 3 different monitors, never made a difference, never thought about the monitor cable though, will look into that. Cheers for the other suggestions too, will probably try them all over the weekend.

Jools if you look further down the board I had exact same problem and had to buy a new rig....but a techie mate of mine tried the old one and replaced the ram and hey presto its up and running.

I tried all the usual things and the folks here gave me a lot of guidance but plain and simple it was down to a faulty stick of Ram.

I hope this helps

Archived