House Prices On The Isle Of Man

germann

Agent gets back to me (after a couple of days, no sense of urgency here)

Actually now I think about it, the tosser didn't get back to me at all, I had to chase him up.

Why is it that doesn't surprise me, there have been so many times we have been chasing esate agents about various items, either when we are selling or buying, it's not like they are rushed off their feet, you wouldn't believe at times they are on commission, so laid back, it's unreal

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The general registry records are public, anyone can go look them up, including the papers. There's nothing you can do about it.

Most people can't be arsed, or don't know about that, so keeping it out the paper is enough.

You don't have to sell for what the agent advises. If you're in a hurry to move, you can always drop the price accordingly.

The number of times that I've heard "I want the best price, and a quick sale. Cash buyers only, and I want the full asking price"

Most people can't be arsed, or don't know about that, so keeping it out the paper is enough.

What I mean is, the press can go to the registry.

I had a similar experience keyboarder, put an offer in and got a no, so contacted the seller direct and he said they hadn't passed the offer on and he accepted, but then I changed my mind and found something better.

Current house I'm in now was through Cowley Groves, and I was very happy with the negotiations on that one.

I had a similar experience keyboarder, put an offer in and got a no, so contacted the seller direct and he said they hadn't passed the offer on

I guess that the law must be different here because, assuming this is correct:

the Estate Agent is required by law to pass-on your offer to the seller, immediately and in writing. However, if the seller has told the Estate Agent not to pass on certain offers, such as those under the asking price, then the Estate Agent is not legally obliged to do so, but they have to let you know why your offer has not been passed on.

I think next time we sell (eons away I hope) I think I'll ask the EAs what they think a realistic market price is. Then I'll tell them that if they sell it for more than that they will have a share of the upside and if they sell it for less an equivalent share of the downside. I hate this idea of saying that your house is worth £XXX and then when it is on the market informing you that an offer £20,000 less is reasonable. Just because they operate on greed does not mean that everyone else is taken in by it.

Be careful with that, we had two estate agents around when we sold our last house, one of them said our house would be similarly priced as a house on the Greenlands Avenue estate (£170k) despite it not being: a) on an estate b) semi detatched. The other EA seen it as a fully detached house in a secluded location yet central to the town and priced it at £250k. We accepted and offer of £240k a month later after the chap really pushed for the sale, promoting it as a featured house in their glossy broshure.

I'm not sure why the first EA priced it so low, but my thinking was to achieve a quick sale and get their commission in..... Will be interesting to see what both companies value the new place at once it's finished....

I'm not sure why the first EA priced it so low, but my thinking was to achieve a quick sale and get their commission in.....

Probably had a mate waiting for the house. I'll not name any names for fear of being sued, but there's one company on the Island with a reputation for skullduggery - maybe not deserved, but it's something I've been hearing for over 30 years now.

not wanting to defend estate agents, but.......

Most overpricing is done by the seller. Every time I have had dealings with EA's they have been very sensible with their valuations. The old burbage about wanting to squeeze out more commission doesn't reall stack up. If you're talking about a 300k house, you may be looking at 4 grand odd in commission pon sale. They would rather a reasonably quick sale at that price, rather than trying to squeeze another 200 quid by upping to 320k etc.

No point in delaying a potential sale for such a little increase.

You may be right. My experience tells me otherwise. For example, within the past few years I purchased a property that had been empty and on the market for at least 15 months @ 225k. I offered, via the agent 205k which was immediately turned down so I upped it to 210k which the agent said he would discuss with the seller. Agent gets back to me (after a couple of days, no sense of urgency here) and says no chance, vendor will only take full asking price. I then said I would go to 212k, but really didn't want to pay more than that. I never heard back from them, so assumed that was that.

Any way, the property to which I am referring stayed on the market for several months after that before eventually going multi agency. I approached the new agent and offered 200k, and eventually agreed a price of 205k, the equivalent of my original offer. The vendor was very pleased to get shot, and it transpired the first agent hadn't even informed him of any of my offers. I can't imagine any reason for this other than a maximised margin. I won't name these clowns here, but I wouldn't buy a shed off them in future.

Wish I knew which agent it was, so I could avoid them, as we are house hunting at the moment

Wish I knew which agent it was, so I could avoid them, as we are house hunting at the moment

Put the offer in writing and ask them to reply in writing with the response, or with the reason why the offer has not been passed on.

Good luck! (I'd love to know that name too.)

Have you experienced the "question" yet?

No it's not - "can you tell us more about your ideal property specification?"

But - "what is your price range?"

Brianna make sure that you only go to see properties that meet your spec!

When I was told about a property I asked them 'why are you suggesting I look at this one? How does it meet the specification we have given you?'

This was after being recommended to look at modern bungalows all over the South when we had specified an old cottage in Castletown!

Good luck! (I'd love to know that name too.)

Have you experienced the "question" yet?

No it's not - "can you tell us more about your ideal property specification?"

But - "what is your price range?"

Brianna make sure that you only go to see properties that meet your spec!

When I was told about a property I asked them 'why are you suggesting I look at this one? How does it meet the specification we have given you?'

This was after being recommended to look at modern bungalows all over the South when we had specified an old cottage in Castletown!

I do wonder why they work as estate agents, don't have the right criteria in my opinion. I've experienced a lot of questions regarding our position for our search and don't want to waste time showing properties if we still haven't sold our own house. They don't seem to mind wasting my time showing us dumps that don't even come close to their inaccurate descriptions I have noticed!!

I'm not sure why the first EA priced it so low, but my thinking was to achieve a quick sale and get their commission in.....

Probably had a mate waiting for the house. I'll not name any names for fear of being sued, but there's one company on the Island with a reputation for skullduggery - maybe not deserved, but it's something I've been hearing for over 30 years now.

Hmm. I had a funny experience like that too. There was a house in the brochure, as 'For Sale', I enquired about it, and was rudely brushed off "Oh you wouldn't like it. The photos are wrong. It's not like that" etc. etc, they wouldn't even give me a viewing <_<

Curious!

I can't say I've had these problems myself (dealt with two local agents so far on two seperate properties - different agents on the selling of the first and the buying of the second). I DID have to pester the fuck out of both of them to get things done within my timescale though.

I also remember being in an advocates office one time (not related to a purchase or sale concerning myself btw) where a telephone conversation ended and the person handling it came out with "*sigh* do these people live in the real world?" whilst being chivvied up on the final stages of an exchange!

Yes, "these people" do, maybe it's you that need to get that finger out of your anus.

There's nothing worse than waiting for a set of keys once you've loaded up the van and vacated your old gaff on a Friday afternoon and have nowhere to go but the new place you've just bought.

:rolleyes:

There's nothing worse than waiting for a set of keys once you've loaded up the van and vacated your old gaff on a Friday afternoon and have nowhere to go but the new place you've just bought.

Says he, facetiously, of course that's your problem not theirs...and the EAs get their commission before you get the keys. No COD.

As they used to say about the oldest profession "a service is worth more before you have paid for it" - so get your money before the punter gets the service.

Archived