House Prices On The Isle Of Man

germann

Its a pity that houseprices.co.uk does not list Manx prices. All you need is the post code and you get a list of all sold prices over there. Is there any alternative website for IOM?

If someone was looking for a great website idea / project - that would be it. The data required would need to be gathered and collated from different sources - but it is basically in the public domain. Nobody else is doing it and it would get lots of hits locally.

The reporting would obviously get more useful over time as more data was fed into the system. As far as tracking asking prices - you would basically need to get the estate agent brochures or print out their listings on a regular basis. Or - better still - write a clever bit of code to harvest the raw data direct from their websites.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its a pity that houseprices.co.uk does not list Manx prices. All you need is the post code and you get a list of all sold prices over there. Is there any alternative website for IOM?

If someone was looking for a great website idea / project - that would be it. The data required would need to be gathered and collated from different sources - but it is basically in the public domain. Nobody else is doing it and it would get lots of hits locally.

The reporting would obviously get more useful over time as more data was fed into the system. As far as tracking asking prices - you would basically need to get the estate agent brochures or print out their listings on a regular basis. Or - better still - write a clever bit of code to harvest the raw data direct from their websites.

There was a chap doing it, it was harvesting the asking prices, but of course the sale prices have to be manually added. He got bored, unsurprisingly. It's not something that'd pay.

sold prices are in the papers about 6 weeks after completion. You would just need to database the asking prices from the estate agents and sit tight until the sales are published.

sold prices are in the papers about 6 weeks after completion. You would just need to database the asking prices from the estate agents and sit tight until the sales are published.

The paper just prints a selection, not all sales. You'd have to go to the registry to get them all.

No idea why the registry can't be put online given its public info and already computerised, but there you go.

The paper just prints a selection, not all sales. You'd have to go to the registry to get them all.

No idea why the registry can't be put online given its public info and already computerised, but there you go.

Why just a selection? That seems a bit unfair to the ones that get published. I looked at a few houses and eventually bought one a while back. Every house that I had my eye on that sold appeared in the paper.

It may be that sales are so slow that they have to publish them all to fill space!

Why just a selection? That seems a bit unfair to the ones that get published. I looked at a few houses and eventually bought one a while back. Every house that I had my eye on that sold appeared in the paper.

It may be that sales are so slow that they have to publish them all to fill space!

Last time we bought the lawyer actually asked us whether we wanted the sale to appear in the paper or not. I think that they can make sure it dosen't if you have issues with it.

The ones printed in the paper are just a taster for public consumption.

eg. all those new estates this past 10 years. How many of those houses appeared in the paper?

I think the reporter for the Isle of Man house sales has been too close in bed (metaphorically speaking) with all the advocates and the likes all these years.

I think the reporter for the Isle of Man house sales has been too close in bed (metaphorically speaking) with all the advocates and the likes all these years.

The reporter goes down the registry once a week. Nowt to do with the advocates.

Do you think the worst of everything?

I don't think house prices will ever go down, there is always a huge market for people wanting to move over here for retirement,low crime, better schooling and health system.

If locals can't afford the houses, people from overseas just buy them instead.

£200,000+ for a 1 bedroom flat in Douglas is definitely not ideal :)

Also incredibly annoying that you pay the same amount for rent as you would a mortgage on same property at the moment.

Also incredibly annoying that you pay the same amount for rent as you would a mortgage on same property at the moment.

I'm now paying £460 a month on a large 3 bed semi with gardens and a driveway...doubt you could rent for that :lol::lol:

Apparently, I would be paying about £900 pcm to rent.

I'm now paying £460 a month on a large 3 bed semi with gardens and a driveway...doubt you could rent for that :lol::lol:

Apparently, I would be paying about £900 pcm to rent.

you were probably on a tracker mortgage and the payments would have gone down after the rate cut. A first time buyer will never get such a low rate.

I don't think house prices will ever go down, there is always a huge market for people wanting to move over here for retirement,low crime, better schooling and health system.

If demand is so high why are estate agents laying off staff?

If locals can't afford the houses, people from overseas just buy them instead.

£200,000+ for a 1 bedroom flat in Douglas is definitely not ideal :)

Why? Right now you are better off paying rent. At least you are not risking a big capital loss.

And don't forget that a property owner has to maintain the property.

S

Archived