Local Questions

Stavros

I often wonder about things and it's usually when I'm driving. I went through Ballasalla this morning which I have done thousands of time before. Although, this morning for some reason I wondered why things are called 'Whitestone' like the local pub and the Mercedes dealership. I thought that I would check google and get the answer but all I got was news or articles about the pub and food etc. I couldn't find anything on Manxnotebook which doesn't mean that it's not there, I could just be useless at looking in the right place.

I did discover that Ballasalla (Manx: Balley Sallagh) means place of the willow trees. Does anyone know what the significance of 'Whitestone' is to Ballasalla?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calling a hotel 'The Falcon's Nest' or a pub 'Havana' is of course perfectly reasonable but I was wondering about the significance of a 'Whitestone' as it's slightly more unusual than the names you've mentioned and presumably has some kind of significance if both the pub and the garage both use the name in their business titles.

Why 'Whitestone' I can't see one anywhere?

I often wonder about things and it's usually when I'm driving. I went through Ballasalla this morning which I have done thousands of time before. Although, this morning for some reason I wondered why things are called 'Whitestone' like the local pub and the Mercedes dealership. I thought that I would check google and get the answer but all I got was news or articles about the pub and food etc. I couldn't find anything on Manxnotebook which doesn't mean that it's not there, I could just be useless at looking in the right place.

I did discover that Ballasalla (Manx: Balley Sallagh) means place of the willow trees. Does anyone know what the significance of 'Whitestone' is to Ballasalla?

and of course 'Clagh Vane' ( I think clagh = stone, clagh vane = felspar)

and I have always known the willow as a 'sally willow' (latin family name Salix)

and willows grow well down the Ballahick farm road, there used to be a boggy patch with iris etc. opposite the old radio station building

but I still can't help you with where the white stone was ! sorry

I understand your question but isn't that like asking what significance the falcon has to port erin or havana has to the isle of man

Havana...now that does have a significance!

I understand that Fidel Castro visited the Isle of Man for the 1957 TT. He stayed in a small guest house opposite the Theatre Royal pub in Wellington Street with Che Guevara.

Apparently, the only photographic record is a faded picture of the pair pulling a pint together in Joe's Bar in Strand Street.

The pub/club stands on the site of the old guest house which was demolished years ago!

Sorry, haven't a clue about the Whitestone!

Interesting because according to Feegan's Lounge Clagh Bane - 'White Stone' which is similar and quite probably the same meaning.

Just a simple corruption then...lol So it would seem that Ballsalla was once known as the place with willows by the white stone but no mixed grills

Interesting because according to Feegan's Lounge Clagh Bane - 'White Stone' which is similar and quite probably the same meaning.

words often had the initial letter changed to go with what they were describing, vane/bane, meg/beg etc

Frances's Manx Notebook gives this

White Stones.

1539 Comp. Abb. Dem. White Stone (le).

No history. It is possible that there was some connection between this name and the surname Whetstone, once common in this neighbourhood. The White Stone Inn (Ballasalla) may record this name.

v. Ballawhetston. Ab. F.

I understand your question but isn't that like asking what significance the falcon has to port erin or havana has to the isle of man

Havana...now that does have a significance!

I understand that Fidel Castro visited the Isle of Man for the 1957 TT. He stayed in a small guest house opposite the Theatre Royal pub in Wellington Street with Che Guevara.

Apparently, the only photographic record is a faded picture of the pair pulling a pint together in Joe's Bar in Strand Street.

The pub/club stands on the site of the old guest house which was demolished years ago!

Sorry, haven't a clue about the Whitestone!

Any idea where that photograph is would love to get a copy of that

Does the word Peel have a meaning, i have a muggy recollection of Castlewall or something???

peel heritage trust says

The Town's Name

Today's name for the town records but one stage in its history, for the Gaelic speaking Manx know the place as Purt ny h-Inshey - Harbour of the Island. Here 'Island' refers to St Patrick's Isle, the rocky islet at the river mouth. This inspired a Norse version from the invading Vikings-Holm = Island. (cf. Stockholm=Stake Island). Thus the settlement which grew up on the opposite river bank came to be known as 'Holmtown', which, in spite of over three hundred years of English rule, remained in use until quite late in the 17th century.

However, the name given to the Castle by the English rulers was 'Peel'. This could have been from a defensive fence or paling, but more probably from the keep at the castle's main entrance, a type of building known as a 'peel tower'. Such defensive towers are widespread in the Scottish/English border country. Thus the castle was know as 'the peel'. In a similar way to the Norse name, the settlement became 'Peeltown', until about 1860. By the time of the 1883 establishment of the Island's local councils, the Commissioners, the name 'Peel' referred to the town, not to the castle. In fact, today's name of the fortification on St Patrick's Isle - Peel Castle is a repetitive doublet.

An inhabitant of the town can be referred to as a 'Peelite', or somewhat disparagingly as Gobbag=dogfish, in Manx Gaelic. However, most inhabitants take pride in being so called.

isn't google wonderful :P

Also Whitestone is close to Rushen Abbey and all that - is it possible it may have a religious significance?

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and I will give him a WHITE STONE, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it." (Revelation 2:17).

White stones were handed out by the clergy in the past for someone that had previously been found guilty 'and literally branded' (burnt arm etc.) a criminal - and then who was found to be innocent. What was there in the heyday of Rushen Abbey etc. ???

Does the word Peel have a meaning, i have a muggy recollection of Castlewall or something???

peel heritage trust says

The Town's Name

Today's name for the town records but one stage in its history, for the Gaelic speaking Manx know the place as Purt ny h-Inshey - Harbour of the Island. Here 'Island' refers to St Patrick's Isle, the rocky islet at the river mouth. This inspired a Norse version from the invading Vikings-Holm = Island. (cf. Stockholm=Stake Island). Thus the settlement which grew up on the opposite river bank came to be known as 'Holmtown', which, in spite of over three hundred years of English rule, remained in use until quite late in the 17th century.

However, the name given to the Castle by the English rulers was 'Peel'. This could have been from a defensive fence or paling, but more probably from the keep at the castle's main entrance, a type of building known as a 'peel tower'. Such defensive towers are widespread in the Scottish/English border country. Thus the castle was know as 'the peel'. In a similar way to the Norse name, the settlement became 'Peeltown', until about 1860. By the time of the 1883 establishment of the Island's local councils, the Commissioners, the name 'Peel' referred to the town, not to the castle. In fact, today's name of the fortification on St Patrick's Isle - Peel Castle is a repetitive doublet.

An inhabitant of the town can be referred to as a 'Peelite', or somewhat disparagingly as Gobbag=dogfish, in Manx Gaelic. However, most inhabitants take pride in being so called.

isn't google wonderful :P

I'm a Gobbag and i'm ok, I work all night and I sleep all day !!!

Archived