Growing Your Own Vegetables

Minnie

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was kindly and reliably informed by the Isle of Man Constabulary that Marijuana isn't actually a salad.

however I doubt if they could tell apart a coca shrub from a small privet hedge - and you can use the leaves as a component of rice pudding (a classic Colombian Andes dish)

Drat it! I was just about to sow a box of Trill.

the sunflowers will be good - not sure you really want the hemp though unless you are into home produced clothing for which I suggest flax would do better on the Island.

- and you can use the leaves as a component of rice pudding (a classic Colombian Andes dish)

I'll tell them that next time they come round for tea. "It's a classic Colombian Andes dish and it's traditional to put a leaf on top. I like lots of rice pudding which is why I have a whole basement full of Marijuana leaves...." ;)

Forget books, there's some great websites though, eg http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk

Bee's, Isn't the hemp in Trill treated so it won't grow? The laws a bit bizzare on that one isn't it, it's legal to sell the seeds, but not to grow them or something?

Was watching a program the other day, can't remember what, might have been a Darwin thing, about a place where hemp grew naturally in the countryside. This bloke just walked about picking it. In that context, all the excitement about it seems a bit silly.

Apparently the plot is a bit bigger than I was expecting which is great because we can grow a bigger variety of veg. The kids were out for a little while today weeding and preparing. The one big thing that worries me though is vandalism. They've planted flowers and made a picnic area before at the school.....everything was ruined by vandals. What the fuck is wrong with people today when they can do that sort of thing at a primary school.

if the ground has not been cultivated in some time then plant more potatoes - choose different varieties than those readily available (eg Arran victory is a very late purple skinned spud that makes great mash) - if you need some wind break then try jerusalem artichokes but you need a warm soil - they reach 6 ft or more and the head moves to follow the sun - the tubers are used for soup but also mix very very well with scallops(queenies).

However the best vandal preventative measures were outlawed some years ago but I suspect if the authorities can make the whole school feel owners of the plot it may help.

Apparently the plot is a bit bigger than I was expecting which is great because we can grow a bigger variety of veg. The kids were out for a little while today weeding and preparing. The one big thing that worries me though is vandalism. They've planted flowers and made a picnic area before at the school.....everything was ruined by vandals. What the fuck is wrong with people today when they can do that sort of thing at a primary school.

If they do well in growing veg put me down for some if they sell them

Don't forget that if you have a crop which takes a while to grow that you can grow other quick crops inbetween them. You can also have a corner for bringing on winter brassicas (sprouts, broccolli, - the purple sprouting stuff is nice and rarely seen in shops) which can be planted out into their 'winter quarters' when other things have been harvested.

If they do well in growing veg put me down for some if they sell them

I was thinking of suggesting to the school that the ones who have the little allotments could have a table at the school summer fair to sell some of their produce and raise funds for the school.

My boy is really excited about all this so hope he grows some good stuff. Mind you, having seen the standard of veg in Tesco recently I'm sure we're in for a treat whatever he manages to grow!

Archived