Dti 'is In Competition With The Private Sector'

I would just like to clear up a number of points that have been made in this thread.

DTI already subsidise it outside of this scheme through BSS with most of the islands suppliers !

The BSS scheme is a different type of scheme, it pays 50% of the initial setup of an e-business website, it does not pay for ongoing fees. There is also a different eligibility criteria for retailers under the BSS scheme.

Why dont so many of our small independents have website's already if the local providers can do it, surley they would have captured the opportunity years ago ?

They have not been able to do it probably because of cost, but as the Venda product is free to the retailer (the taxpayer, via the DTI pays 100% of ongoing fees), then they would be silly to reject the offer.

As someone who works at a local web company, we relish the competition, but we can not compete with free. What we need is for the DTI to extend the scheme and allow the retailer a choice of supplier, not just Venda.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What we need is for the DTI to extend the scheme and allow the retailer a choice of supplier, not just Venda.

That would be the ideal scenario. Set out the requirements and any other necessary criteria, then open it up to all the web development firms on the Island. In order to receive funding - they must qualify for the scheme and tick all the boxes. Without a list of points needed to be met - one can assume it was given to Venda, and it would be interested to know what\who provided the research and analysis they speak of - obviously money was no object.

As someone who works at a local web company, we relish the competition, but we can not compete with free. What we need is for the DTI to extend the scheme and allow the retailer a choice of supplier, not just Venda.

Yes, the perfect solution, then each can be chosen on merit and not the sales job they managed to do on some clueless twonk in the DTI.

however, take a walk through strand street. how many companies can a local software house pitch to? whsmiths? h.samuels? hmv? etc. of course not. waltons? maybe...

hahah, thats a rubbish argument ! there are hundreds and hundreds of small retail and crafty businesses all over the island who can be easily found in the yellow pages who might benefit from a website to sell on the internet.

however, take a walk through strand street. how many companies can a local software house pitch to? whsmiths? h.samuels? hmv? etc. of course not. waltons? maybe...

hahah, thats a rubbish argument ! there are hundreds and hundreds of small retail and crafty businesses all over the island who can be easily found in the yellow pages who might benefit from a website to sell on the internet.

that IS the argument. these "hundreds" represent the market that's now probably out of reach to a local web site providers. because they can get it free from venda. (well, kinda sorta free)

i also agree with this sentiment. a nice compromise. the dti could do this and cretney wouldn't lose (that much) face.

You just said there were'nt any businesses like that out there. Make you mind up.

no, i said a local supplier can't pitch to the likes of whsmiths etc. they can, however, pitch to waltons etc. so if the dti give (via venda) those products to waltons etc for free, where does that leave the local supplier?

available answers:

a) in a good place

b) no change

c) in a bad place

see? clear yet? no?

this is the whole point of this thread: the potential market of the local web-site supplier has been massively reduced by the introduction of venda; and the tax-payer is paying the bill.

where "protectionism" is currently the big fear in economic circles - our freakin government are paying overseas companies to "take our jaaaahhhbs"

I for one look forward to be able to have the option to shop locally on the internet for all sorts of things.

I'm curious, what kind of items would you buy online from a local retailer and what wouldn't you buy online from a local retailer?

I tried an online shop on our website in the late 90's and didn't sell a single item locally. I reckon there are some items that people want to see, feel, touch and try and for that it's best to make the short trip to the shops.

I can understand if for Manx speciality items the people outside the IOM may want to buy but can't see there being a huge demand for general run of the mill items.

Dunno, would just like the opportunity to try and buy local via the web when needed. Its up to the retailers to pursaude us with their exciting products and offers isnt it? If its not ordinary stuff then it will work for me.

just had a look at Venda's website, eye-boggling images scrolling about, odd sized pages, no information as to exactly what packages they offer or pricing and 'wysiwyg', just featuring big high-street names, not little independant shops etc, presumably if you have to ask the price you can't afford it !

just had a look at Venda's website, eye-boggling images scrolling about, odd sized pages, no information as to exactly what packages they offer or pricing and 'wysiwyg', just featuring big high-street names, not little independant shops etc, presumably if you have to ask the price you can't afford it !

Venda seem to do a small business version for £49.99 / month http://shop.venda.com/engine/shop/page/Pro...Started/Pricing

http://shop.venda.com/engine/shop/index.html

But to you my friend £300,000

This is really a slap in the face for all the software houses/developers on the island. With this move the DTI has damaged any chance we have in competing in a global market. A client I'm TRYING to sell an ecommerce site to, has just asked me a question ....

" ..why should I choose your company, or any other on the isle of man, when the DTI says the companies on the island are not capable of handling this kind of work"

At times like this, you'd thing the DTI / GOV would be doing things to HELP the local businesses, and the small ones at that. GOV, don't give the smaller businesses a chance at all.

I honestly think there should be a discussion with GOV/DTI ... but not to explain WHY they chose Venda.. but with a move to STOP the deal. I'm sure , I, working with a bunch of others on this forum could provide a better solution...

Archived