Dti 'is In Competition With The Private Sector'

I assume all this nonsense is aimed at developing an off Island market for stuff to be purchased from here?

The reason I and everyone I know buy online is for access to a far wider range of choice at cheaper prices than those available here.

Presumably these factors has been taken into account?

What a waste of money, unless prices and range match those currently available online from vendors outside the IOM, I can't see anyone getting much benefit from local buyers.

Yet another pointless and ill conceived government idea.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure in certain areas it would be worthwhile developing an online presence, certainly where there is something unique (e.g. Manx coins, Scallop shells, Manx kilts, Kippers etc) - the thing is, I'd imagine most of these bases are already covered, whether that be via ebay or by using an off-the-shelf\hosted online shop service. The other function is the online directory; we already have that locally in several guises, most recently isleofman.com and a few other generic ones (thebestof etc). I think in this instance I would tend to agree with the owners and I wouldn't be happy for what is essentially a Government funded competitor. Fair enough, a commercial competitor - but not something off the back of the DTI. I always thought the DTI BSS was there to help fund these types of projects - I get the impression in this instance the vendor did a seriously good sales pitch.

It does seem a crack pot decision, much in line with the e-habitant fiasco. I don't know why our government keep falling for these sales pitches and throwing our money at them. I'm not aware of any demand from within the retail sector for a product like this and as previously mentioned it's easy and cheap these days to get an online store if the retailer wants one.

Can anyone think of an existing local business that would benefit from this, what research have the government undertaken in the market?

Most companies with a business case for getting a website will already have one, and I can't think of many IOM retailers who would want to display their products with prices as this allows for simple comparison to UK suppliers.

My guess is that they are trying to encorage more box shifting websites like picstop / manxprintcare and provide the infrastructure, not sure that this helps existing bricks and mortar business suffering from the recession as outlined in the press release.

Perhaps the DTI could give a better expanation of the logic behind this decision. Also I agree that this is an area that government should stay well out of.

As for directories there are some pretty dismal efforts out there (theworstwebsiteoftheisleofman etc), adding another half arsed government effort to their number won't help anyone.

The directory would suggest that this whole scheme is aimed at the local market. I can only really see a justification for increasing exports or attracting new start up e-business, in which case what use is a new local directory?

I can only really see a justification for increasing exports or attracting new start up e-business, in which case what use is a new local directory?

I don't see any use for another local directory, but I agree the only other justification could be a system to increase exports\e-business. I seem to remember hearing of a similar attempt years ago which involved the freeport.

PicStop seem to manage it, although I'm not sure whether their presence on the Island is due to convenience or a commercial reason, I'm not sure.

Can anyone think of an existing local business that would benefit from this, what research have the government undertaken in the market?

I'd be interested to know which local retailers would benefit from such a presence. Something produced locally, perhaps with a heritage\tourism\Manx angle could do quite well. The costs, you're talking hundreds of pounds.

PicStop seem to manage it, although I'm not sure whether their presence on the Island is due to convenience or a commercial reason, I'm not sure.

Just a couple of local brothers that wanted to start an online business and get out of their jobs.

I set Picstop up for them and when they started they were running out of their dining room with only a drawer full of stock. Their success is due to their A1 customer service record in a competitive sector.

I was at the DTI presentation to local service providers and can confirm that the stated aim of this project is to encourage people to shop local. The DTI seem to think that getting businesses online will make people shop locally. They completely ignore the fact that most people shop online for better choice and price. Many local website developers are unhappy at the DTI. Despite what they say there appears to have been no consultation with local web developers as to what they could offer. The DTI appear to have gone for an off the shelf product.

The service from Venda is priced at £50 per month. The initial scheme is for up to 100 businesses with a joining fee of £250, paid by the business to DTI, with the DTI then paying Venda's monthly fees for about 2 years. That's a potential £120k going straight out of the IOM economy.

As an employee of a local website developer Mr Cretney's comments that no local firm could offer a solution or would take 12 months and hundreds of thousands of pound to develop is way off the mark.

This mess raises serious questions as to whether the DTI is fit for purpose and how the Government goes about getting approval for such projects. Having talked to a number of MHK's this project was not put before Tynwald for approval but rather the Council of Ministers.

SK247

I think this is a missed opportunity to give many businesses, who are worthy, the opportunity to trade on the Internet and also create a lot of work for local website development firms or ecommerce firms - a win-win really. The concept that no one is able to provide this solution doesn't stand up, I know of several companies who've been doing this for years. Incorporating this into the BSS or something similar and maybe having a tender process to develop a list of approved contractors\hosts would have been the better, fairer way of doing things - most of all, it would get value-for-money for everyone, which seems to be seriously lacking.

(And this is probably actually local news)

bottom line: there's nothing we, the public, can do about the dti or other departments squandering money in this way. it's only been a couple of months since the govt justified spending £x on upgrading to vista when (pros & cons of vista aside) we all know their stated reasons were bogus.

when this fails, it'll be swept under the carpet. the press will be suppressed (like with e-habitant) and the civil service will dream up another plot to justify themselves.

the stated aim of this project is to encourage people to shop local

That's a potential £120k going straight out of the IOM economy.

It' a pity the dick heads we have in government can't bloody well shop local instead of going off island for nearly everything they do

It' a pity the dick heads we have in government can't bloody well shop local instead of going off island for nearly everything they do

Yes - there is a certain irony to the whole project

http://www.energyfm.net/news/bulletinstory1.htm

DTI Minister faces questions over online shopping project

The DTI Minister is being asked why no local IT companies were given the chance to bid for the contract for its £300,000 online shopping project.

The Department of Trade and Industry has announced it will be working with European firm VENDA as it plans to help local retailers set up and run their own online shopping websites.

However, local internet service providers are angry the work has gone to an off-island company when the expertise are available here.

They believe the Department is boosting one business sector at the expense of another.

Two MHK’s will raise the issue at this month’s sitting of Tynwald.

Malew and Santon MHK Graham Cregeen will ask David Cretney who made the initial approach to VENDA and when.

Member for Onchan Peter Karran want to know why it wasn't put out to tender.

Archived