The Dalby Spook

simon

I spoke to a few people about the 'Spook', and most didn't know what I was going on about! Do people feel that it has been more or less forgotten by the younger generation, or is there still an awareness of it on the Island? Browsing these forums, it seemed as though quite a few people still know about Gef.

I think a good deal of people are aware of it, people of all ages. But it was just a fanciful story that the paranormal groups in the UK picked up upon which led it to hit the papers. Not of significance for it to be very well known.

On the other hand whole tourist industries have been built on less than the story of the Dalby Spook.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spoke to a few people about the 'Spook', and most didn't know what I was going on about! Do people feel that it has been more or less forgotten by the younger generation, or is there still an awareness of it on the Island? Browsing these forums, it seemed as though quite a few people still know about Gef.

I think a good deal of people are aware of it, people of all ages. But it was just a fanciful story that the paranormal groups in the UK picked up upon which led it to hit the papers. Not of significance for it to be very well known.

On the other hand whole tourist industries have been built on less than the story of the Dalby Spook.

From what I have read, quite a few people - locals and visitors - heard what they thought was the Spook. One or two (apart from the Irving family themselves) even claimed to have seen it. But the photos I've seen are not that convincing.

• 1 month later...

What a load of bollox, everyone knows that Mongooses can't talk, I think it was Alexander the Meerkat's great great grandfather Vitali who visited the IOM whilst convalescing from his fur wound after the great war of fearlessness.

post-15888-079192300 1278080792_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The house was demolished by 1983, as the photograph of the site in Open Files magazine of this date shows nothing but cows at the top of the track, and the outline of the house's foundations. The two buildings mentioned on the earlier map may be outbuildings including the thie veg, demolished at a later date. There were outbuildings to the west of the site in the haggart, including a goat shed, which had corrugated iron roofs.

• 3 years later...

On the offchance that anyone here is London-based, Senate House Library is hosting a Gef the Talking Mongoose Symposium (of which I am a co-organizer) on Thursday 10th April 2014. Further details, full programme, and tickets here.

In addition to the speakers, there'll be a screening of Brian Catling and Tony Grisoni's Vanished! film (on the Dalby Spook case), and a display of materials from Harry Price's archives (including Gef's hair) relating to his investigation of the case.

All this for seven quid!

I know stories like this are fun and history of them interesting, but they obviously can't be taken seriously.

Why not? Isn't it possible, in this vast universe, that there are things we don't understand, that there might be extra-dimensional beings capable of interacting with our dimensional plane of existence, perhaps in ways that might seem unnatural?

I know stories like this are fun and history of them interesting, but they obviously can't be taken seriously.

Why not? Isn't it possible, in this vast universe, that there are things we don't understand, that there might be extra-dimensional beings capable of interacting with our dimensional plane of existence, perhaps in ways that might seem unnatural?

I once had a singing ferret,so I suppose a talking mongoose isn't too far fetched.

Magic mushrooms

How do you explain them all developing the same hallucination? I don't think we should just dismiss the possibility that there are fairies. When you're in a forest and there are no other people about, why is there a feeling of not being alone? How do magic mushrooms explain the Dalby Spook? They don't sound like the sort of family who would be tripping on mushrooms.

Archived