Www.shopiom.com

Declan

Regarding what the £300,000 was spent on. I understand that there was a fixed amount to Venda for up to 100 sites for 2 years. Then there was funding to get the sites customised by local business that signed up to be trained by Venda (more money to venda). An additional amount was spent on the ShopIOM portal and hosting it for 2 years. Finally there was the marketing/advertising of the whole ShopIOM concept.

How this all broke down I don't know. Whether it was value for money is for MHK's to investigate.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The £300,000 was for the first 2 years for upto 100 stores and the shopiom.com portal.

The businesses weren't really trained by Venda (I went to one of the 'seminars'). These businesses were then put on a preferred venda providers list providing they dedicated a page on their own company web site to say they were approved by venda.

The trouble came when the shops that signed up for £50 weren't then going to spend 10/20 times that for a professional web design company to design the site for them, hence why they got the 'one man band' cowboys to design the sites for a few quid and why they look so horrendous.

If proper research was done in to this then they would have realised they were never going to get 100 stores, then if they still wanted to push forward with this scheme they could have done a pretty decent deal with local companies but I'm guessing that is too much to ask.

• 4 years later...

Archived