Www.shopiom.com

Declan

i've never seen that article - thanks for the link

funny how he concentrates on the "my high street" functionality, which was never finished and legally dubious - the clever bits don't even get a mention

however, at least the DTI of back then sank money into something unique (however awful). the more recent spending on the likes of venda & shopiom (which any bedroom web-monkey could produce) is plain stupid

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

however, at least the DTI of back then sank money into something unique (however awful). the more recent spending on the likes of venda & shopiom (which any bedroom web-monkey could produce) is plain stupid

They sank money into something that they were told would make millions for the IoM in the technology boom. That's all. They were duped as much as they were with this sort of shite. They were duped because, fundamentally, they are not that clever and if someone tells them that something is a brilliant idea for the IoM they believe it rather than saying 'That's a pile of shite that will just burn our cash and generate nothing'. The only thing that has changed is the climate. With e-habitant we could afford to write the investment off as a total crock as the economy could support the write off. Now we can't.

at least the DTI of back then sank money into something unique (however awful). the more recent spending on the likes of venda & shopiom (which any bedroom web-monkey could produce) is plain stupid

Something which big project top-down people often fail to understand is that most of the best of the web over the past ten years have begun life as bedroom web-monkey projects.

The govt should not be putting money into any such schemes (since if they will fly then they will fly on their own merits). Especially given that so many better ways exist for people to fund start-up ideas using the power of the web itself.

No commercial web project which it would be worth the govt investing in should need govt money.

ISD could never have produced the engine behind E-habitant

How do you know? Bet they could! If they had the money E-habitant was throw, flippen heck I think even I could rustle up something cool with that kind of cash. Now I want to know how much it cost, the only thing I could find was something about Aston (lol lol lol) and Invisimail and then I got bored of it all. How much did you get Mr Shoe?

How do you know? Bet they could! If they had the money E-habitant was throw, flippen heck I think even I could rustle up something cool with that kind of cash. Now I want to know how much it cost, the only thing I could find was something about Aston (lol lol lol) and Invisimail and then I got bored of it all. How much did you get Mr Shoe?

Ha ha those were the days - when Silicon Valley was poorly re-created in Douglas for 18 mad months. Most of them seemed to do ok out of it in the end. Did they ever find the office furniture that allegedly vanished overnight and then allegedly reappeared at another dotcom start up just across the water? I'm sure someone will write a book about it one day as nobody is still able to say what actually happened as its been airbrushed out of everyone's collective memory to save the DTI any embarrassment!

trust me, they couldn't.

anyway, all the hard stuff was done before the iomg threw all their money at it. as pongo said, the real magic is done by nerds in bedrooms (as it should be)

the government money paid for some very swish (mostly empty) offices, the occasional executive jolly and all those flags around douglas.

the government money paid for some very swish (mostly empty) offices, the occasional executive jolly and all those flags around douglas.

........ and the trucks leased to drive around the place with e-habitant banners on them ..... oh and of course the £1m government debenture mention of which has almost totally been erased from the web. Some old links never die though and this order paper is a good one to jog memories for anyone interested (questions 12 and 15 are good):

www.tynwald.org.im/papers/orders/2001-2002/ko26022002.pdf

Yes those were the days that make this latest shopping bag of absolute cack look tame.

A good few years ago, wasn't there a guy who went to the DTI with a revolutionary method of shell fishing?

The story was that they funded this wonderful idea and kitted out a vessel. All the MHK's went down to the harbour to see it off on it's first voyage. Then they waited for it to come back, and waited, and waited, and waited......

The thing was last seen somewhere in Spain!

• 5 months later...

I've heard rumours of another hat being sold but these are yet to be confirmed.

No doubt the people respinsible for yet another waste of public money will be keeping their heads down and hoping nobody notices (well it worked for the launch)

Few months ago Govt were trying to sell/unload the site to a private operator but never heard that they had any joy with that. Good luck I'd say.

I've heard rumours of another hat being sold but these are yet to be confirmed

This thread has prompted me to look at the site and it has to be one of the shittest ideas ever. How they ever managed to pursuade shops to sign up to it is beyond me as it does not appear to do anything other than provide a link to your own website through which people then transact business through your website which you have paid for yourself. Why would anyone pay for that?

Archived