This Saddens Me Greatly ...

I'd suggest "Sapphire" by Jordan as a highbrow alternative ...

It's these type of books that concern/annoy me more than Dan Brown, does any other country produce and purchase as many crap celebrity novels/biographies (usually written before they even reach 30) as Britain? Why would anyone want to read that?

ps, no idea if mixmag is still going, i remember seeing it on the shelves about 15 years ago, I was probably looking for a copy of metal hammer :blush:

It's all part of Dan Brown's plan to pave the way for a post-modernist turn where he writes so many books that eventually his lead character from the previous novels, I think it was professor Yaffle, ends up uncovering every conspiracy that happens to have conveniently broadcasted its existence in a work of art. Yaffle then turns to Dan Brown's own books and finds himself analysing his own narrative as it happens in an attempt to uncover the greatest conspiracy of all. Or something.

The clues are all there in the Da Vinci Code if you know where to look.

The clues are all there in the Da Vinci Code if you know where to look.

I found it! Damn that marvellous mechanical Mouse Organ! Who would have thought that eh?

Underhand sneaky bastids!

There's a hint in the narration.

Oliver Postgate

Colonel Oliver North

Post strikes and other under hand tactics. It's a given sign!

Irangate

To add to all of that - guess who's just fallen foul of Bedford Town (NY) 's Building Laws?

"There is no such thing as diplomatic immunity when it comes to complying with local laws and ordinances," Mr Sachs was quoted as saying by the Associated Press.

Said the zionist oppressor Mr Sachs

ETA - Haven't read the book so haven't a clue what it's about - - I just picked up on Vinnie's bagpuss theme and went on a tangent!

Really don't see what the problem is, it's just another novel. I think it's great if his books are encouraging more people to turn off the tv and read a little.

Why is Dan Brown being criticised in particular?

I'm not sure that reading a book, any book, is somtging that is to be particularly celebrated. You wouldn't laud someone who reads the latest tabloid front page about Jordan & Peter becuse "at least they're taking an interest in current affairs." Reading bad books is not a bad thing but it is not a positive either.

So why Dan Brown? Well he has a poor writing style, that is clunky and heavyhanded, there's little characterisation and doesn't attempt to reveal anything about human nature. It all relys on plot, and I gather this is quite good. The trouble with this you have to buy into the Dan Brown world, if you don't though you notice all the faults (rather like noticing the shaking sets and dodgy in a sci-fi show you don't follow).

And the other issue is Dan Brown fans are rather evangelical about their hero. I've had strangers interrupt me whilst reading to tell me that if I like reading I'll love the Da Vinci Code.

Terry Pratchett fans are worse but how rude!

Archived