Jump Leads

cheesypeas

OK it's been years since I had to jump start the car, so I checked on you tube how to use jump leads properly.

What's all this crap about connecting the negative cable to the chasis of the dead car?

Is there a problem just connecting + to + and - to - ??? :xmas:

Confused.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there a problem just connecting + to + and - to - ???

I've always done it that way, and as recently as a couple of days ago.

NB I know that the cold snap always catches the weak batteries out, but I've been told that one of the local automotive suppliers had a bad batch of batteries earlier this year. The mechanic that told me said he'd had to replace quite a few. I think he said they were 'Platinum' brand. I'm going to see if I've got my receipt.

Yes positive to positive, you can normally tell if you get it wrong as there will be a big flash and a shower of sparks just make sure you have the ignition turned off on the car you are 'Jumping' before you connect the leads also make sure you keep the leads apart so the do not touch the clamps together

Is there a problem just connecting + to + and - to - ???

I've always done it that way, and as recently as a couple of days ago.

NB I know that the cold snap always catches the weak batteries out, but I've been told that one of the local automotive suppliers had a bad batch of batteries earlier this year. The mechanic that told me said he'd had to replace quite a few. I think he said they were 'Platinum' brand. I'm going to see if I've got my receipt.

Cold snap not a problem.

Mrs Peas leaving the car radio on for three and a half days - big problem. :whatever:

The reason for attaching to a block is around avoiding the (slight) possibility of igniting battery gases.

on a modern car if you dont know what your doing,dont do it! as you can cause untold damage with surges in current,a lot of cars now have specific places on engine to jump start from,

CP, if you don't use the negative terminals, the best place to use to get a good earth is the engine lifting eyes. They are handy, easy to find and access and very safe.

If I knew what the fook 'engine lifting eyes' were, I would probably have known how to use jump leads ! :D

Tee hee, they are what are used to lift the engine out of the car, there's usually 2 and are metal protusions with a hole in them to hook a chain hook through, they stick up, stand out, and look like they shouldn't be there. They look useless. I've jump started hundreds and hundreds of cars battery to battery with no problem.

I always stand back as I make the last connection with the jump leads, (I put the lifted bonnet between my face and the battery) purely because I know a mechanic who has one eye and looked like he was sprayed with acid, coz he was, coz he lent down over a battery with a fag in his mouth and the battery went bang.

Probably more chance of winning the lottery though. I'm just a cautious chap though.

Tee hee, they are what are used to lift the engine out of the car, there's usually 2 and are metal protusions with a hole in them to hook a chain hook through, they stick up, stand out, and look like they shouldn't be there. They look useless. I've jump started hundreds and hundreds of cars battery to battery with no problem.

I always stand back as I make the last connection with the jump leads, (I put the lifted bonnet between my face and the battery) purely because I know a mechanic who has one eye and looked like he was sprayed with acid, coz he was, coz he lent down over a battery with a fag in his mouth and the battery went bang.

Probably more chance of winning the lottery though. I'm just a cautious chap though.

''they stick up, stand out, and look like they shouldn't be there. They look useless.'

Sounds just like Tynwald !

Archived