Have Your Say On Government Services

dandavies

Hello

You may or may not be aware that the Government is currently seeking views on how public services on the Isle of Man are delivered, and how people might prefer to access Government services in the future. I should make it clear that this piece of work predates the proposed restructure of Government announced by the Chief Minister and focuses very much on the way that services are delivered rather than whether or not we should have a particular service at all. I see that there's already a lively debate on the restructure taking place on the restructure megathread so it would be great if perhaps comments on the restructure could be kept in there.

We are interested in whether people would prefer services to be delivered more locally to their homes, how much they would like to use the internet as a way to use services and any other suggestions people may have in respect of service delivery. We'd also like to know how easy it is for you to find the service you want first time as well as how you currently contact Government. Would you prefer face to face delivery of services or would you rather do everything over the web?

In order to try and make it easier for people to let us have their views, we've put a PDF on the consultation website (link below) which can be completed and submitted online. I would point out that to use the functionality of the email submit button, you will need to have Adobe Reader installed. If you have a Mac especially, unless you have Adobe Reader then you won't be able to use the online submit function. I appreciate that this isn't an ideal solution, but we're trying to make it a bit easier for people to get in touch.

You can of course simply write to us at the Chief Secretary's Office, 3rd floor, Government Offices, Douglas, IM1 3PN or simply email your thoughts on how Government could improve its service delivery at change@gov.im.

The link to the consultation document and associated information is below. If anyone needs any further information, you can contact me on change@gov.im

Consultation page

Thanks

Dan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see you are settled in Dan. Plenty of your former colleagues around these parts!

When you've got our views what are you going to do? Tick a few boxes, draw up some stats and somehow justify how good our Government Services really are?

No doubt there will be a degree course in spin doctoring soon!

Edited to add:

I have plenty to say about our Government Services and how they are delivered. No point in wasting all that time, effort and heartache complaining to the Isle of Man Government itself and its cosy employees though is there (I've tried that enough).

There needs to be a higher independent authority who will at least take notice. But in a small country there simply isn't a higher authority than the Government itself.

.....or is there?

It seems to me that there is a huge window of opportunity looming on the horizon.

Nice to see you are settled in Dan. Plenty of your former colleagues around these parts!

When you've got our views what are you going to do? Tick a few boxes, draw up some stats and somehow justify how good our Government Services really are?

No doubt there will be a degree course in spin doctoring soon!

Everyone's views will be taken on board and used to inform the ongoing work to make Government services more accessible. This is a genuine attempt - which I'd hoped would not be seen as spin - to try and understand how the people who use Government's services would prefer to access them in the future.

Will you be completing the form?

And we are all wondering how much this 'consultation' is going to cost the tax payer just to be plonked in some archive and ignored because it doesn't say what senior civil servants want it to say.

So wait a minute? A guy sticks his head into the lions den and asks for some feedback in making changes that people want and his first two respondents tell him that there's no point cos it's just a bullshit exercise to squander more taxpayer's money.

Nice contribution guys! Just what was needed! i hope you're both proud of yourselves.

So wait a minute? A guy sticks his head into the lions den and asks for some feedback in making changes that people want and his first two respondents tell him that there's no point cos it's just a bullshit exercise to squander more taxpayer's money.

Nice contribution guys! Just what was needed! i hope you're both proud of yourselves.

Dan's a big boy now piebaps. I would think his skin is thick enough for me not to worry about any possibility of hurting his feelings. That said, I do have plenty of respect for him anyway.

I would have preferred if 'The Form' had provided a method of somehow giving an opinion on Government Services. It is just about delivery of those services. SarahC filled the form out in 2 minutes - what took her so long?

This is just another 'deck-chair shuffling' scenario. Except the deck chairs are on the wee poop deck or something.

Wow, I wonder how much thought, effort and highly paid Civil Service time has gone into producing this little thumb twiddler.

I didn't say it definately would be no point, I did say there is a chance it would, let us see if we are proven wrong, I hope we are but I am not holding any real confidence in it but at least I have taken the trouble to fill this form out shortly aft the thread started just in case. Just one quick question piebaps, are you saying you have never criticised any govt project on here? he is without sin etc

Read through the form - complete bollocks and a waste of time and money.

i wouldn't quite agree but when you consider that 'using government services' can cover everything from buy a ticket for the Villa Marina to finding out about grants to insulate your loft I think there could have been at least a list of government departments and their functions to make it clear the wide range of services your project is covering.

Hello

You may or may not be aware that the Government is currently seeking views on how public services on the Isle of Man are delivered, and how people might prefer to access Government services in the future.

I think that the Government employs far too many communication officers ... can you note that one please Dan.

BTW is everything now that desperate that IOMG are reduced to posting on here trying to whip up support?

Hello

You may or may not be aware that the Government is currently seeking views on how public services on the Isle of Man are delivered, and how people might prefer to access Government services in the future.

I think that the Government employs far too many communication officers ... can you note that one please Dan.

BTW is everything now that desperate that IOMG are reduced to posting on here trying to whip up support?

Noted. Thanks.

I thought that by going to the forum, I'd engage the views of a group of people who generally aren't forward in coming backwards in telling you their point of view, not to mention people who have strong opinions on Government. A natural place to seek feedback on how people might want to deal with Government in the future. Just trying to do things a bit differently for a change - something of an experiment.

I think there could have been at least a list of government departments and their functions to make it clear the wide range of services your project is covering.

Moghrey Mie - you said you'd like a list of the services I'm covering. Well - it's pretty much everything. From paying your dog license to viewing planning applications to phoning Government to ask when the General Registry will be open. It's a broad range, but as you correctly pointed out, Government services mean different things to different people.

This consultation will form part of a broader exercise which will help to determine the best way to provide some services. For example there could be overwhelming support for people who want to use the internet more in their dealings with Government (I do). This could be supported by data for example that we collect at the front line which says that 7 out of 10 people who visit the DOT Sea Terminal simply want to pay a parking fine. This will help to prioritise the development of parking fines payment on the web.

Archived