Have Your Say On Government Services

dandavies

Talking to service users

You mean talking to people? I know it sounds less management speaky but basically you mean your talking to people about how they would like to use services that they pay for through their taxes.

Yes.

Plain English works here even though we are not in UK

www.plainenglish.co.uk

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talking to service users

You mean talking to people? I know it sounds less management speaky but basically you mean your talking to people about how they would like to use services that they pay for through their taxes.

Yes.

Plain English works here even though we are not in UK

www.plainenglish.co.uk

I agree with you. It happened so naturally I didn't even realise I was doing it. Note to self. Try and speak plain English in future.

Could this type of set up work here?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/joepublic/2009/dec/22/ibm-essex-council-contract

IBM has landed a far-reaching deal with Essex council.

The eight-year partnership means the computer company has persuaded the council that it can run back office processes and, crucially, frontline services, too................

IBM was chosen, in part, because of its experience in Canada, where it worked with the government on streamlining services and set up an online gateway for government services.

IBM has succeeded in persuading Essex council that it possesses the business knowhow to run not just back office processes but also potentially frontline services. The aim is to streamline services to avoid duplication and to take out costs.

The council needs to save £100m a year from its £2.2bn budget and IBM has already said that efficiencies could be made not just in processing and procurement but in frontline services, for instance by sending one worker, rather than two, to help bedridden people............

The council issued a tender notice last November for what is the biggest local government outsourcing scheme in Britain. It said the successful bidder could potentially run all of its services during an eight-year contract, including schools management, social care, highways and libraries.

If not, why not?

Dan's gone quiet.

Is he in a meeting?

No he has gone to hire a team of consultants to get advice on all the failures of the questionaire.

Good plan. Will you be putting yourself forward?

In the meantime, I hope you've filled in your questionnaire.

You can't please all the people all the time. This is an honest attempt to try and find out what people want in a slightly different way on something important. It's not obfuscation, it's not ticking a box and it's not something which is going to be filed under 'stuff we have to do to look like we care what people think.' It's entirely genuine. In addition to this we are:

Collecting data on usage patterns of front office areas

Talking to staff

Talking to service users

Gathering web and phone usage stats

Talking to the Government Officers' Association

Looking at comparative organisations such as other small Island jurisdictions and small Local Authorities.

You're right - the questionnaire probably isn't perfect, but there you go. It's possibly better than what we've done before from a 'whole of Government' approach. Which is nothing. If you'd prefer to submit your comments in an entirely different format then feel free. I'll accept it from you in plain text or whatever.

Have a nice weekend

Dan

Wow! Looks like a lorra lorra 'work' there Dan. A quango indeed. Looks to me like a classic paper clip counting exercise.

Could this type of set up work here?

IBM has landed a far-reaching deal with Essex council.

The eight-year partnership means the computer company has persuaded the council that it can run back office processes and, crucially, frontline services, too................

I understand from a friend over there that Essex CC has also made significant cuts in management level positions (I think approx 200-250) in order to focus spending as much as possible on the provision of frontline services.

Again, could it be done here? Maybe the public who pay for the services could decide? <_<

Looking at comparative organisations such as other small Island jurisdictions and small Local Authorities.

Oh dear Dan, you'll never make it in the Isle of Man Civil Service if you (quite correctly) compare us to small local authorities and other small Island Jurisdictions. The Isle of Man is all about bigging itself up, lad.

There is no reason (er, other than incompetence, ineptitude and apathy) as to why the Isle of Man should not be leading and setting an example, rather than seeing how things is done elsewhere.

Wow, I wonder how much thought, effort and highly paid Civil Service time has gone into producing this little thumb twiddler.

In my recent experience, the civil servants are looking on with sheer astonishment at the mess the politicians are making of everything. Don't blame the soldiers for the folly of the generals.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I wonder how much thought, effort and highly paid Civil Service time has gone into producing this little thumb twiddler.

In my recent experience, the civil servants are looking on with sheer astonishment at the mess the politicians are making of everything. Don't blame the soldiers for the folly of the generals.

Dan is very quiet. I see the closing date for this consultation on government service delivery is March 19th.

I wonder what the response has been so far.

Dan

I'd like to see the IOM Gov get a grip on the amount of money being needlessly wasted & bring in some Private sector accountability. I have personally spent a fair bit of time working in various IOM Gov Depts and it beggars belief the amount of money that is just being thrown away. I'd love to give examples (and there are many) but because of a signature on a document I can't..... funny that

But I will say... If 'we' are scaling down frontline services.. Will there still the requirement for the same old bloated administration?

Dan

I'd like to see the IOM Gov get a grip on the amount of money being needlessly wasted & bring in some Private sector accountability. I have personally spent a fair bit of time working in various IOM Gov Depts and it beggars belief the amount of money that is just being thrown away. I'd love to give examples (and there are many) but because of a signature on a document I can't..... funny that

But I will say... If 'we' are scaling down frontline services.. Will there still the requirement for the same old bloated administration?

Closing date Friday March 19th

Last chance to tell Dan how we want to see government services delivered.

I would like to see local authorities having some sort of standard websites that explain clearly what they are responsible for and what services they offer for local people.

I would also like to see some sort of 'welcome pack' of information when people move house. Otherwise it take ages to work things out.

Archived