American Computer Cases

A friend of mine just sent me a smart computer case over from California and its got an american power supply unit in it. On the back of the case there's an switch which allows for 115V or 230V and the power cable is a typical american plug.

What would be the best thing to do, take out the power unit and replace it with an english one, or is it safe to use the american one with one of those plugs that allow you to use US plugs (similar to shaver and travel plugs). Or is there other solutions?

Or is there other solutions?

Possibly frowned upon in these days of moulded plugs but I'd be tempted to cut the plug off and fit a UK style plug instead.

Edit to add - of course, as the case is presumably still empty and you haven't fitted the components then swapping the PSU might be better in the long term

do THIS:

on the PSU switch it to 230v then use a normal PC type kettle lead that u can buy from any electrical outlet for about tuppence, plug it in the back and off you go. It will work fine - don't waste your cash buying another PSU.

NB if you don't switch it to 230 you'll blow it up.

*IMPORTANT* The american wiring colours are different, so unless u KNOW what the wiring colours represent i suggest you don't cut the plug off the lead that came with it and rewire.

this has been a Government IT department bulletin on behalf of the spasmotronic electrical reform party.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

*edited because i either can't spell, can't type or because i suddenly thought of something amazingly witty to add.

I wont be taking the plug off if its easier to get a new lead, although:

NB if you don't switch it to 230 you'll blow it up.

worries me slightly :blink:

The case is empty now though, decided to just get a new motherboard+cpu instead of transfering my old one, its too much of a headache, so a new psu might get chucked in as well ;)

Thanks for the info guys :)

Archived