Callow's Yard 'jewel Of The Island'

manshimajin

Despite all the rumours that Callow's yard was being sold it appears not to be the case.

'If Callow's Yard does not succeed then we can kiss goodbye to places such as Peel and Ramsey developing.'

Hopefully Callow's Yard will improve and will prosper. IMO it has been floundering in an attempt to find a business model that will work. Maybe actual business owners, with expertise and a stake in what they are doing, renting space could be a concept worth thinking about?

Anyway I see we will be getting an Indian restaurant, a Thai restaurant, a steak bar and a 'sports bar' (????), 26 luxury tourist flats as well as potentially a coffee shop under a glass dome (great for seagulls).

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That has to be one of the most amazing press releases of all time.

Callow's Yard is a second-rate speculative development. While over in May I went to see the flats they're selling. The workmanship outside leaves a lot to be desired, inside the cheapest possible materials and the prices can only have been dreamt up after a night out on the local brew.

I hope they lose a packet - they deserve to.

Despite all the rumours that Callow's yard was being sold it appears not to be the case.

'If Callow's Yard does not succeed then we can kiss goodbye to places such as Peel and Ramsey developing.'

Hopefully Callow's Yard will improve and will prosper. IMO it has been floundering in an attempt to find a business model that will work. Maybe actual business owners, with expertise and a stake in what they are doing, renting space could be a concept worth thinking about?

Anyway I see we will be getting an Indian restaurant, a Thai restaurant, a steak bar and a 'sports bar' (????), 26 luxury tourist flats as well as potentially a coffee shop under a glass dome (great for seagulls).

Not to mention a £ pound shop! Now that's what we really need.

What is needed is more charity shops down there, try the ramsey model one every other shop

And don't forget to ensure that the woodwork rots as fast as it does at Ramsey's 'Victorian Arcade'.

Not sure why everyone has a downer on it and wants it to fail. Manx crabs with a mixture of fear of change? People are often complaining that everything is focused in Douglas. However I wandered into the courtyard one Saturday at about 4:30 in March and the place was deserted and it looked like nothing was opened. I came across it quite by accident and there were no apparent signs indicating where it was. Is there any parking near it? It seems to me to be a very grand idea but not fully thought out as it seems to be struggling to find it's niche. I hope it does well because the towns outside Douglas do need a bit of life injected into them.

Not sure why everyone has a downer on it ...

Because they heard the marketing jingle on MR about 10,000 times and were expecting something a notch or two above what has become par for the towns on the Island?

It's nothing - just nothing. The chipshop round the corner offers more...

Not to mention a £ pound shop! Now that's what we really need.

My wife needed some new wiper blades for her car, she came home and told me that they were selling them in Callows yard pound shop so we went to purchase a pair only to be told that they had withdrawn them from sale as they had received a complaint from a local garage :angry:

Not sure why everyone has a downer on it and wants it to fail.

You've never spent 5 minutes in the company of the developer then?

Is that not a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face?

Not sure why everyone has a downer on it and wants it to fail.

You've never spent 5 minutes in the company of the developer then?

Is that not a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face?

Its a case of establishing that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

The centre of Castletown is self evidently in a state of equilibrium at present.

Archived