Israel - Unarmed Protester Faces Jail.

Lonan3

SOURCE

Baroness Ashton, the EU's foreign policy chief, yesterday issued an unusually sharp rebuke to Israel over a military court's conviction of a Palestinian activist prominent in unarmed protests against the West Bank separation barrier.

Lady Ashton said she was "deeply concerned" that Abdallah Abu Rahma was facing a possible jail sentence "to prevent him and other Palestinians from exercising their legitimate right to protest against the separation barriers in a non-violent manner".

Though acquitted on two charges – including one of stone-throwing – Mr Abu Rahma, 39, a leader of the anti-barrier protests which have taken place every Friday for five years in the West Bank village of Bil'in, was convicted on Monday on another two: "incitement" and "organising and participating in an illegal demonstration".

He is in jail, awaiting sentencing next month. He was detained last December by troops who arrived at his Ramallah home at 2am in seven jeeps as part of what anti-barrier activists say has been an escalating wave of arrests of protesters in West Bank villages, angry about the barrier and settlements encroaching on Palestinian land.

Pointing out that the European Union regarded the barrier as "illegal" where – as at Bil'in – it was built on Palestinian land, the EU's High Representative for Foreign and Security Policy said the EU considered Mr Abu Rahma, who works as a teacher at a private school, to be "a human rights defender committed to non-violent protest".

Surely, if Israel wants to continue having its special degree of protection from its Western allies, it ought to be made to realise that a reasonable degree of civilised behaviour is expected in return?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ignoring the usual rhetoric about the overall situation, it appears disgraceful that - in this specific case - the Israelis are prepared to jail someone for a legitimate and non-violent protest.

Makes you wonder if they have weighed up the pros and cons of the situation.

Pro: Gets a pain in the arse protestor of our backs for a bit.

Con: The International community is not gonna like it one bit.

I think that Israel is becoming its own worst enemy. I think one day they may push their luck one step too far.

The “Israeli” dont want peace. They want land land land. They also want continued hand outs from Uncle Sam. War with the neighbours pretty well ensures that.

Maybe Obama is the first sign of the end of the line for the jewish lobby in the US and that could be the start of a peaceful middle east by it also being the start of the end of “Israel”.

I think that Israel is becoming its own worst enemy. I think one day they may push their luck one step too far.
But push with whom? It can suffer European condemnation and even American. Only when the States let Israel know that they're 'On their own' will things change.

The “Israeli” dont want peace. They want land land land. They also want continued hand outs from Uncle Sam. War with the neighbours pretty well ensures that.

Maybe Obama is the first sign of the end of the line for the jewish lobby in the US and that could be the start of a peaceful middle east by it also being the start of the end of “Israel”.

So, there was no conflict in this region before the creation of the Israeli state? And there are no conflicting groups within, say, the Palestinian 'nation'?

But push with whom? It can suffer European condemnation and even American. Only when the States let Israel know that they're 'On their own' will things change.

When I say push their luck, I mean they are going to get in the clag with their Arabic neighbours, look to the West saying "you got my back, right?" and which point the West is going to pretend to be doing something else....and then some really big explosions will start going off.

Maybe they will do something that will be so bad that the West will completly drop them and leave them to fend for themselves. Which is what the Arab nations want, an Israel without its Western bodyguards.

Rubbish

They are surrounded by huge hostile neighbours who seek their destruction what they want to do is survive.

So, there was no conflict in this region before the creation of the Israeli state? And there are no conflicting groups within, say, the Palestinian 'nation'?

Of course there is no real Arab brotherhood at all they are kill each other and always have done.

The palestinians are being used as pawns all arab countries save Jordan treat them like dirt.

Archived