Douglas Promenade

Lonan3

If they do sort the prom out they should make the horse tram lines into one single horse tram track running in-between the existing horse tram lines. This would alleviate most of the congestion problems they cause as bigger vehicles would easily be able to pass them and hopefully stop further calls to get rid of them. There is no longer the need for both tracks to be running at the same time.

i think the horse tram tracks hold the prom together!!

He also says that it will cost a minimum of 10 million to repair. This I find strange since, a few years ago, when I spoke to the then minister, John Shimmin, he quoted a minimum of 12 million. Phil Braidwood gave much the same figure, while Anderson talked of 17 million! Have prices come down?

Not wishing to attempt to poke holes in your post, but just to mention something interesting. It seems as if, in general, transport infrastructure construction costs may have indeed come down (Metro costs fall by one third):

The project was expected to cost €3.7bn but bidders are providing estimates much lower than anticipated [€2.5bn], sources said.This is partly due to an across-the-board reduction in costs and a lack of major projects across the EU at construction stage.

He also says that it will cost a minimum of 10 million to repair. This I find strange since, a few years ago, when I spoke to the then minister, John Shimmin, he quoted a minimum of 12 million. Phil Braidwood gave much the same figure, while Anderson talked of 17 million! Have prices come down?

Nah this is the Department of Transport we're talking about - it will actually cost just short of £100m to complete the job, the promenade will be closed until at least 2020, they will have to compulsory purchase every hotel on the front for £5m a piece to widen the road rather than use a few feet of pavement they already own, and when its finished they'll discover that the tarmac was laid upside down by a company that went bust just after the £100m cheque cleared.

Let's face it, its likely to be the worlds biggest fuck up when it happens because on past performance none of them could organise a piss up in a brewery.

1. He actually said that just doing THE MINIMUM necessary would cost £10 million.

2. Many of the bumps, especially on Queens Prom, are the repairs in 1945 when they moved the piles which held up the barbed wire when it was an Internment Camp

3. There are room for three lanes of traffic on the Prom - make it two lanes into Douglas from Summerhill in the morning,one out to Laxey and two lanes out of Douglas from Broadway in the evening.

4. Result - no more stodgy crawling congestion morning and night.

If the trams end up being put where the parking spaces are and the parking spaces moved forward it could do some good, it would mean there would be no room for people to park alongside of the spaces whilst they wait for a space thus making it safer, the same on the other side, we have a taxi rank at the tower, make another one down near Regent St then book all who double park.

Why on Earth they didn't do it in the 90s/early 2000s when the cash was rolling in is beyond me.

The prom road is awful and the prom isn’t that much better either, aesthetically.

I think they just need to treat it/plan it/pay for it as they do every other road on the Island - just do it a bit at a time.

Archived