Douglas Promenade

Lonan3

According to the story on Manx Radio CLICK the deteriorating state of Douglas promenade is being addressed.

It isn't.. and its disgraceful that it isn't.

If you listen to the clip, he says that its 'beginning to deteriorate.' Its been in a state of severe disrepair for many years. He suggests that it can wait until the economy recovers - in 2 or 3 years time. It can't - first time visitors being driven along there must wonder if they've arrived in a third world country.

He also says that it will cost a minimum of 10 million to repair. This I find strange since, a few years ago, when I spoke to the then minister, John Shimmin, he quoted a minimum of 12 million. Phil Braidwood gave much the same figure, while Anderson talked of 17 million! Have prices come down?

Douglas Promenade is - or ought to be - a showcase; something to be enjoyed that we can all take pride in. Instead, when I'm driving people along it I constantly feel that I ought to apologise for its condition and explain that the government have been too busy throwing money at unnecessary schemes to be bothered doing f**k all to restore it to a reasonable condition.

3 million for a corner on Richmond Hill? How much to sort out the lights etc at the end of Groves Road? The list is endless and, despite successive ministers being asked when something could be done about the Prom, we're still being told that it has to wait until some magic fairy makes us all rich and happy before we can address the problem!

Which Douglas Prom are you on about? I went out for a walk this morning, went to the park on the prom, then had a lovely little walk over to the Sayle Gallery. The rest of the prom is full of flats, what did people expect? Where I was looking it was rather nice :) The flatvilles are there now, nowt to be done about it.

Which Douglas Prom are you on about? I went out for a walk this morning, went to the park on the prom, then had a lovely little walk over to the Sayle Gallery. The rest of the prom is full of flats, what did people expect? Where I was looking it was rather nice :) The flatvilles are there now, nowt to be done about it.

What you say is correct - but this is about the road surface. I apologise for not making that clearer.

If they do sort the prom out they should make the horse tram lines into one single horse tram track running in-between the existing horse tram lines. This would alleviate most of the congestion problems they cause as bigger vehicles would easily be able to pass them and hopefully stop further calls to get rid of them. There is no longer the need for both tracks to be running at the same time.

Well Lonan3 I would say the centre where the trams are is in good nick which is where most of the taxis seem to charge down in their own lane so it shouldnt worry you much.

One of the reasons I rarely post nowadays is that there's always some complete dickhead prepared to turn any of my contributions into a rant against taxi drivers and compound the myths that so many have come to believe.

I normally do my best to be reasonable but I really would like to say that if you don't have anything constructive to add to the subject, will you please fuck off.

Whatever the scheme, they need to massively increase parking and sack most of the business prevention officers (traffic wardens) leaching the streets and get people shopping again - with 3 hrs free parking. Shops and businesses in town are being strangled. Take the bus station back and create a bus station and multi-storey car park at the same time.Put the horse trams on a single track and get angled parking both sides.

Put it out for private tender - and it will be half what the DoT could do it for. With the remit:of course that 75% of the workforce are locals.

why should it be local.

If the manx cant keep or want the jobs with the type of company that do this type of work than so be it.

Forget the Prom being resurfaced anytime soon, 10-17million is money we just don't have. Drive a little slower along there and the bumps are not too bad.

Yeah, think of it as an inexpensive traffic calming scheme.

Archived