Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

Its Sister ship will be joining it soon, so how long before the Steam Racket Company start screaming, its unfair trading, as we can no longer charge what we like whether the customer likes it or not,then we will discover that the profit on freight charges subsidises the passenger fare,

Am I the only one that thinks that the whole user agreement is just plain daft? They have two Ro Ro link spans in the Harbour and still Mezeron have to use a crane to drop trailers onto their vessel? What the f*** is that all about? Will we have to wait until someone gets killed in an accident with a falling container before sense prevails and they are allowed (albeit on a fee paying basis) to use one of these linkspans, which lie idle most of the day, to load their Boats?

Edited by Sean South

Am I the only one that thinks that the whole user agreement is just plain daft?

that agreement was (is?) worth well over £100M - I'll leave it to others to eventually find why the Govt renewed it just as the 1st of the asset strippers was about to sell the Packet to another equity group. There will be no way the SP will just roll over and accept competition - the money paid for the agreeemnt (most of which went to the asset strippers) adds nothing to the Island but the required return on this money probably costs us £10M+

Am I the only one that thinks that the whole user agreement is just plain daft?

that agreement was (is?) worth well over £100M - I'll leave it to others to eventually find why the Govt renewed it just as the 1st of the asset strippers was about to sell the Packet to another equity group. There will be no way the SP will just roll over and accept competition - the money paid for the agreeemnt (most of which went to the asset strippers) adds nothing to the Island but the required return on this money probably costs us £10M+

... and how long before it's cheaper to put your car in a container for shipping and jump on easyjet to pick it up at the other end ?

Did the IOM Government actually receive any money for the extension of the User Agreement (which added millions to the company's worth on the open market) or was it just the undertaking to provide a certain level of service to the Island?

Anybody know the answer to that, other than man in pub rubbish?

Did the IOM Government actually receive any money for the extension of the User Agreement (which added millions to the company's worth on the open market) or was it just the undertaking to provide a certain level of service to the Island?

Anybody know the answer to that, other than man in pub rubbish?

This is what Matk Woodward wrote - part way down

Woodward states, correctly, that they didn't want the 1995 agreement as no doubt they thought they had emerged the winner from the competition - however the later agreements were sought and judging from the sale prices of the SP added much to its commercial value.

The unwanted part of the agreement must relate to the Irish service which I cannot see being at all profitable - however the choice of a much larger fast craft to handle the Liverpool service (and one that seems to be incapable of handling the freight traffic of the Ben ) seems to be strange choice and has saddled them with an expensive to operate boat.