Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

Thank you Manxman8180 for trying to explain to Gazza but seeing as he's not replied to you I'll ask him, how can you use a supposed SP freight rate multipy it by Mezerons daily total carryings and say the result is what Tesco pay?

Based in the above figures you then say "yes the ferry is not that much".

In the final paragraph you state you've heard the SP charge £800.

Where have Manxman8180 been the last few months ? You both seem to have taken over this thread? No doubt both of you are brown noses working for SP? Yea I think so 

That's why you're figures and arguments don't add up, you use any number as and when, just as long as you get the result you require and then you argue against yourself.

My God, it took me an age to work out that there was a new post in there somehwere.

It's always the sign of a good contributor when all they can muster is to claim that you 'must be one of them'.

Anybody any skeet about what's happening at Mezeron.

4 hours late on Friday, 8 hours late on Saturday and no boat at all on Sunday.

Kalana left douglas this morning heading for liverpool, Kursk loading ready to leave liverpool today :)

Any idea why they missed a few days?

Thick fog in the Mersey overnight Friday/Saturday delayed the Friday night Seaforth departure until mid-morning Saturday, arrived IoM Saturday evening. IoM to Seaforth from Friday delayed for the same reason. My guess is that yesterday's non sailing was knock-on from that, especially if Graylaw transferred to te BMC because of the disruption.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite what was said on the letters page of the Examiner? about big fare increases, I have just booked a trip away in April for a car, 2 adults and 2 children (13 and 11yr old) return for £243.00. Seemed reasonable in comparison to flights and car hire.

That fare was less than it was about 2 months ago when I looked at possibly doing an Easter break, so as far as I can see the IOMSP have not bumped up their passenger fares to cover the Mezaron situation.

Anybody else had recent experience of IOMSP fare reductions/rises?

I just happened across this trade article:

DFDS's sale of its Irish Sea routes to Stena is being investigated by the Irish Competition Authority (ICA) and, separately, hauliers are concerned that DFDS's withdrawal from the market could push up prices.

The ICA said an initial investigation into Stena Line's €50 million (US$62.2m) proposal to purchase DFDS Seaways' Belfast-Birkenhead and Belfast-Heysham services had been inconclusive, and it would look into the deal in more detail.

It said: "Following a preliminary investigation, the competition authority is unable to conclude that the acquisition will not substantially lessen competition in markets for goods or services in the state without carrying out a full investigation."

Stena Line was unable to comment on the investigation.

The ICA has until 13 April to make a decision on the proposed sale and has invited interested parties to make submissions no later than 5pm on 4 February.

The UK's Office of Fair Trading is also looking at the deal, as standard practice, and told IFW it would announce a decision on 8 February.

By the end of the month, three routes on the Irish Sea will close – DFDS's services between Dublin and Birkenhead and Heysham and Stena's service between Larne and Fleetwood – leaving four ferry firms operating 14 freight-carrying routes.

If the acquisition is given the green light by competition authorities, Stena will operate six.

Meanwhile, hauliers are concerned that Stena's acquisition and the loss of routes will result in increased prices on the trade.

One industry observer said: "Stena Line, which is already dominant in shipping passengers, will increase market share instantly.

"Prices for overnight ferry tickets are likely to increase dramatically as it starts to milk the freight v passengers [situation] on extremely full ships."

A spokesman for Stena Line said there would still be enough operators on the Irish Sea to ensure that prices would still be governed by market forces."

UNQUOTE

Dublin-Birkenhead has been axed, but Dublin-Liverpool still operates

http://www.poferries.com/tourist/content/pages/template/routes_dublin_-_liverpool_routes_-_Liverpool_to_Dublin.htm