Music Festival Ideas Needed

K.os Theory

Topic pretty much sums it up, I'm looking to get out to a festival or 2 this year. I'm already thinking about Iceland Airwaves in October ( http://www.icelandairwaves.is/ ) but I'm looking for one in the summer.

Basically looking for ideas/recommendations

Musically it doesn't really matter but ideally somewhere warm and sunny.

Did Soundwave in Croatia last year, have done Bennicassim twice( 2007 + 2009 ), and did Fuji Rock Festival( 2008 ).

I've always liked the look of Iceland Airwaves. I wonder if something similar could be a model for a festival here eg - stage where Bushy's tent goes, stage on prom opposite Villa, gigs in Villa, Gaiety, prom room, stage in gardens, get a few pubs involved, function rooms in hotels like the Savoy, wristband lets you in anywhere. Target a niche Market and you've got an interesting boutique festival.

Not the answer you wanted. Portishead/Grinderman ATP organised thing at Ally Pally looks interesting.

I'm going to Lattitude, Pulp in Hyde Park, & Flaming lips/Dinosaur Jnr. at Ally Pally.

I've always liked the look of Iceland Airwaves. I wonder if something similar could be a model for a festival here eg - stage where Bushy's tent goes, stage on prom opposite Villa, gigs in Villa, Gaiety, prom room, stage in gardens, get a few pubs involved, function rooms in hotels like the Savoy, wristband lets you in anywhere. Target a niche Market and you've got an interesting boutique festival.

Drums fingers and waits for someone to say 'why not Ramsey?' :rolleyes:

'Fraid not in Summer nor indeed in a warm country generally but I will be making my way to Electric Picnic in Co Laois in September 2/3/4

Will be my 5th year and for a reason,its got pretty much everything I want from a festival from comfortable camping facilities,good prices(well not rip off )

and a great eclectic line up of music/comedy and the Arts plus the usual Funfairs,Silent Disco and late night Guerilla gigs out in the forests!

What does make a difference for me is that they have never tried to make it any bigger and peaks at 32,500 which is cozy compared to 80,000 at Oxegen or T in the Park etc

www.electricpicnic.ie

'Fraid not in Summer nor indeed in a warm country generally but I will be making my way to Electric Picnic in Co Laois in September 2/3/4

Will be my 5th year and for a reason,its got pretty much everything I want from a festival from comfortable camping facilities,good prices(well not rip off )

and a great eclectic line up of music/comedy and the Arts plus the usual Funfairs,Silent Disco and late night Guerilla gigs out in the forests!

What does make a difference for me is that they have never tried to make it any bigger and peaks at 32,500 which is cozy compared to 80,000 at Oxegen or T in the Park etc

www.electricpicnic.ie

SOLD! thanks Triskel that looks to be the one...OK it's not abroad nor in the summer but going from last year's lineup it's right up my street. :D

See you there then! Handy tip if you are flying-get on the Aer Arran mailing list as they send out Sale offers periodically and I usually get a return to Dublin for £75-80.I go the night before for a "practice run" in Dublin

and the coach direct to the festival leaves by the Finance Centre for about €24return.The train goes through to Portlaoiase which is still a few miles from the site. Coach is best. You can rent wheelbarrows if you are taking a lot of gear or else pre book some of the posher tents and you can even order a slab or two of cold beer to pick up at the campsite-civilised!

I failed of course to mention up and coming fledgling MANNIFEST locally which will be rolled out info wise very soon.........

Thanks for the info Triskel. Just booked the time off work, and will be speaking with my housemate tonite to get the tickets booked and paid for...no sense in mucking around.

Looking forward to hearing some info on Mannifest...dates would be good so I can book the Monday off work ( again :ph34r: )

Archived