Manx 2 Plane Crash Cork Airport

Sean South

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From www.breakingnews.ie

The Irish Aviation Authority has confirmed that there were 10 passengers and two crew on the Manx2 commuter flight that crashed at Cork Airport this morning.

There have been unconfirmed reports that of up to eight deaths at the scene.

The turbo prop aircraft travelling from Belfast crash-landed on a runway at Cork Airport on the third attempt to land.

The crash happened at 9.51am on runway 17.

Witnesses report hearing a loud bang, before the aircraft burst into flames.

It is understood debris from the wreckage has been scattered over a wide area across the runway.

The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) confirmed the incident but said the number of fatalities or injured could not be stated at this stage.

A spokesman said Cork Airport has been shut.

"There has been a crash, a Manx 2 airline, commuter plane. The emergency services are on the scene," he said.

The plane was operating a service from George Best Belfast City Airport to Cork.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/10-passengers-aboard-crashed-aircraft-iaa-confirms-492911.html#ixzz1DYOrf0VQ

Other Info coming in (checked as good as possible against multiple sources)

The Airline Operator was "Flightline bcn" on behalf of Manx2 .

Plane was a Swearingen Metroliner:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Manx2.com-%28Euro-Continental/Fairchild-SA-227AC-Metro/1853021/&sid=9c0f3a832a385080e0a42004a33c3720

Cork County Council spokesman says 3 people are confirmed dead - reports about eight fatalities have not been confirmed.

The news is getting better. according to Cork Ambulance service there are three confirmed fatalities, four people transferred to hospital and three more still stuck in wreckage and emergency services are working to release them from the debris.

This is extremely bad news and our thoughts are first and foremost with the victims and survivors.

This is also extremely bad news for the airline. I think it was Stelios Easyjet who said 'if you think the price of safety is high, wait until you have an accident'. There will, of course, be a full investigation by the IAA and the facts will come out in due course.

However, there are many in the industry who will suggest, based on the witnessing of some of Manx2's operations here on the Island, that an accident in marginal weather conditions was going to happen sooner or later.

The weather reports for Cork at 0930 and 1000 (the incident occurred just before 1000) gave conditions that would have precluded an approach by anything other than a CAT2/3 equipped aircraft and qualified crew. Furthermore, most 'mainline operator' standard procedures state that 2 appraoches and missed approaches are the maximum before diversion; the press report suggests this this was the 3rd attempt.

I think I could write the executive summary of the crash report here and now - but we'll leave it to the experts and I'm always happy to own up to getting it wrong when the time comes.

However, there are many in the industry who will suggest, based on the witnessing of some of Manx2's operations here on the Island, that an accident in marginal weather conditions was going to happen sooner or later.

The weather reports for Cork at 0930 and 1000 (the incident occurred just before 1000) gave conditions that would have precluded an approach by anything other than a CAT2/3 equipped aircraft and qualified crew. Furthermore, most 'mainline operator' standard procedures state that 2 appraoches and missed approaches are the maximum before diversion; the press report suggests this this was the 3rd attempt.

I think I could write the executive summary of the crash report here and now - but we'll leave it to the experts and I'm always happy to own up to getting it wrong when the time comes.

Don't you think it's a bit early to start kicking the airline and crew? Perhaps you'd be better leaving the verdicts to the experts :angry:

I thought we might at least make it through the first page before the arrival of the first internet expert, apportioning blame etc.

What an utter cock.

Archived