Iphone Questions/advice

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, the poor camera is something I'll have to live with but I do actually use that slightly less than I used to and only for reference rather than anything that has to be beautiful as such.

Fastie - I've found an iPhone I've very tempted to take the plunge with, so it could be very imminent. Will send you a PM later on...

I'd rather a 16gb i4 than a 32gb 3gs - the 3gs is much slower and the screen resolution is woeful compared to the i4. On battery life complaints, yep - it does die after a few hours if youre constantly faffing with it and smartphones are constantly faffed with (in the first few days especially). The signal loss issue is a nuisance for a lot of iphone4 owners and the rubber band is a somewhat mandatory bit of kit. The software upgrade that essentially manipulates the visible indicator of signal strength is probably less important :)

If space for music is a concern, just use a thid party compressor to reduce the bitrate further than itunes would (itunes only goes down to 128) - i managed to get 6700 songs on an 8gig nano, compressing them at mono 32kbps - it was for use in a gym and the owner is not an audiophile so it meets the need. Be honest about what you'd need the space for, really..

I understand the reluctance to get an iDevice; i dont even own and iphone, but I do have to say the iPod tough 4 is the best device I own. Whether it's worth the 210 i paid for it, I dunno. What I do like is that, regardless of the feelings toward apple, there is a massive drive to produce good quality apps. I'd rather fire up skype and use it on my ipod than on the pc if I'm video calling, just because it's that much easier, slicker etc. There are a lot of sitations where I just use the ipod rather than drag a PC/laptop out. Remote controlling the home theatre pc is one great example

Photos are crap on them, so dont be expecting great pics like u do on dslr! lol

I tried using my i4 to fix a hole in my double glazing, what with the phone being made of glass an all it was clearly designed to be used as such and it got me thinking that it was a valid comparison to your argument. As it was, the phone got wet and stopped working, so I'd recommend anyone think twice about using the iphone to fix a hole in a window just because theyre both made of glass :rolleyes:

ok

You have PM mate.

Interesting - I've not heard complaints from 3GS owners about speed at all. I thought they were meant to be pretty good, although possibly on the newer ios if they're multitasking maybe they struggle a bit with that? Battery wise I'd hope it'd be on a par with any smartphone with similar screen size really. New batteries are about a fiver on ebay if it needs replacing and ones are available with 1600mah rather than the standard 1200mah or so, although I have my doubts about such claims, from experience of such things.

Re' screen res, the 3GS resolution isn't by any means bad, it's rather a nice screen in reality. It's just it's trounced by the i4 one. It's all relative. The HD2 screen is way better than a 3GS one for both screen real estate and pixel density, but since I can rarely get the bus to work any more it's quite infrequent that I can watch films on it. So that in mind the drop in quality to a 3GS one doesn't matter too much. One thing I will miss though is the camera light on the HD2. As a torch it's worth its weight in gold!

And I'd read just about everywhere that the signal thing was largely overblown and not really an issue, but who knows.

Space is an issue because I currently have 16gb on the HD2 and it's not enough. I have tons of music but with 32gb I'd be able to more or less squeeze on the majority of stuff I actually like & listen to, plus some video and other docs/apps etc.

On a temporary solution 16 would suffice, but not if I was spending the amount needed to get an i4. I'd end up pretty frustrated at spending so much and still not having enough space. No way I'd compress the music more either. Generally I have mine at 320 or if possible nothing lower than 256. I can hear the difference with anything less - not all the time but frequently and I like good sound.

Really would much rather have the i4 compared to older ones, but if I got one I'd be paying 200+ extra over a 3GS for basically a more refined version of the same thing. I could stretch to it probably but there are other things I also want to buy and it'd mean going without for quite some time. Don't think I can justify it.

Well, I went and did it, and turned to the dark side.

I know I said I wanted a 32gb one only but I got such a nice bargain on a 16gb iphone4 (a chunk less than Ebay prices, unlocked, no postage as local) so all is well.

I figure I will manage with 16gb by being a bit more 'selective', and if it becomes a frustration I can sell it know I've got it at a good price then get a 32gb one.

So far as a device, it's a pleasure to use. Really like how it feels to hold and to use.

Seems a bit thirsty on juice just meddling with menus and settings etc, but at the same time it also charges up faster than anything I've owned in the past, so mixed bag I guess. I'm sure the bumph on apple's site claims 40 hours of music playback but given that it loses 1% maybe each few minutes of tinkering that seems ridiculously ambitious. We'll see, but I love it anyway.

Appreciate all the suggestions on here anyway - thanks to all concerned for info shared. :)

Apple are known for being accurate about battery life. If anything you should get better than stated performance out of the battery. They tend to under estimate performance.

Though if you have wifi switched on or the thing is struggling to find a signal for some reason then that will quickly deplete the battery

Thanks for the tips chaps. Seemed like it was only running down fast when it was at a low level, eg around 30%.

Now I've charged it up to 97% it's stayed at that for quite some time while I've been setting things up, so that seems a lot more reassuring.

I've turned off 3G as the signal down here is rubbish and I believe iphones can guzzle juice when they have a poor 3g signal.

I've got wifi and bluetooth on so we'll see how it behaves but I'll have to get some sort of profile timer app so I can automatically switch on/off wifi/bluetooth/volume etc according to time/location etc.

But so far I have to say that the more I meddle with this thing the more I love it. I still hate itunes but hopefully with ongoing exposure I might learn to tolerate/like it.... The phone itself is ace though. Everything about it feels superb.

Just need to flog the HD2 now I suppose. I know I was getting pretty upset with it because of the screen locking stuff but I'll miss it in many respects.

Fastie - you interested at all? Sent you a PM the other day after your comment above but not sure it's been read yet.

Look into jailbreaking it with Cydia. Since it's already unlocked, you've got no major fears with bricking it. Then take a look at some of the Cydia apps and some of the goodness you can get from the likes of sinfuliphone. A jailbroken iphone really gets the most of the device, and can also relieve you of some of the crystal meth iTunes dependency.

Take a google gander at devteam, sinfuliphone, installous and cydia.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did look into jailbreaking since I want a profile timer and toggles for wifi/3g etc so I can quickly switch them on/off. Apple have decided people shouldn't do this (one of the reasons I hate them despite how much I am chuffed with this phone), but jailbroken there are apps which allow you to have this extra convenience that I'm used to with Android/Winmo.

This iphone is on ios 4.3 though and at present the jb options are a bit rudimentary. I'll investigate in a while.

On the whole though I love this thing. It's a joy to use, as long as I try to forget that I've been sucked into 'the collective' and ignore my own thoughts about Apple & their stupid restrictions on stuff. :)

One thing that is bothering me though is the clock keeps resetting itself to 10 minutes slow. When I first noticed this, I disabled the automatic time settings as I couldn't see any other way around the problem, but even on manual time setting, it's changed back to 10 minutes slow, twice so far. I'm at a loss as to how/why this has happened. Time zone is set to London for what it's worth.

One question if anyone can help (doubt it but you never know) - is there any sort of app which allows looping video recording to be done with it? As it records HD that could be very useful, but while I've found a couple of looping players I can't find anything that does it as recording alas.

are you syncing it with a computer which is 10 minutes slow?

Brilliant! Thankyou. You're bang on.

I can't believe I didn't notice that myself since the phone was sitting within inches of where the clock displays on my monitor, so how I managed to pick the phone up, notice the clock was wrong, and not notice the pc matched is beyond me. :lol::rolleyes:

Re' 3G - I just leave it off most of the time now. I'm sick of turning it on each time I drive in to work in Douglas and back off when I get home down south because of the lame 3G signal here. <_<

BTW - anyone interested in a wonderful HD2?

No response from Fastie having sent a nicely detailed description nearly a week back, so I'm assuming they're not interested after all.

Archived