Iphone Questions/advice

Cret

Just a quick tip for the ip4 turn off all the location services etc as they suck the life out of your battery as they are searching day and night!

I get 2 full days out of my battery and I use it all the time.

Great phone and the best I have ever had.

LT

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got one of those "mobile" phones from Manx Telecom a dozen or so years ago, and I find it wonderful for making and receiving phone calls. It costs me £12.50 a month. I have no worries about taking photos, being online, and I am not beseiged by emails at any time.

If you want to speak to someone not actually standing beside you, I find it an excellent device. Highly recommended.

I thought any location services were only working when the offending app was running in the foreground and the location services icon was visible in the status bar?

My location services are enabled and I can get 2 days standby and 9 hours usage from a full charge (90% web browsing via wi-fi).

Personally, I think an Ipod touch and cheap Android or Nokia phone is a better combination. Buy both of those new, and you still have change left over to buy a netbook.

Pop all 3 in your camera bag, and you have 3 great gadgets for the price of a single Iphone. But with more functionality.

And a cheap Nokia, connected via Ovi suite on the netbook will give you real internet almost anywhere. Even over 2G.

Cret

Just a quick tip for the ip4 turn off all the location services etc as they suck the life out of your battery as they are searching day and night!

I get 2 full days out of my battery and I use it all the time.

Great phone and the best I have ever had.

LT

Cheers mate - I have got it turned off for most things. Think it's only on for google maps for gps.

I'm pleased with the battery so far. It's usually on maybe 80% at the end of the day with fairly minor meddling during the day albeit frequent automatic email downloading etc.

I got one of those "mobile" phones from Manx Telecom a dozen or so years ago, and I find it wonderful for making and receiving phone calls. It costs me £12.50 a month. I have no worries about taking photos, being online, and I am not beseiged by emails at any time.

If you want to speak to someone not actually standing beside you, I find it an excellent device. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the useful info. I'm very pleased for you.

Personally, I think an Ipod touch and cheap Android or Nokia phone is a better combination. Buy both of those new, and you still have change left over to buy a netbook.

Pop all 3 in your camera bag, and you have 3 great gadgets for the price of a single Iphone. But with more functionality.

And a cheap Nokia, connected via Ovi suite on the netbook will give you real internet almost anywhere. Even over 2G.

Thanks for the suggestion but been there and done all that and it's just far too much mucking about when I can have one thing that does it all. My HD2 did all the stuff the iphone did to be fair, and did certain things better in fact, but I really love this thing. Yes I have a netbook (that I use with tethered phone link) and I like that too, but no way I'd have an ipod separate to the phone as I just don't see any point - just means two things to remember/carry/charge/break etc when there's no need or really benefit from.

Each to their own so I'm not knocking what you're saying and have done that kind of arrangement, but your maths are a bit iffy perhaps. I got this iphone4 for £360. You wouldn't be able to buy an ipod touch + android phone + netbook for that I suspect, but even then from experience I'd say that's 3x the hassle for a very limited benefit in terms of flexibility (unless you have very specific needs).

Anyway - interesting but kinda academic now since I have it and the more I use it the more I love this thing.

Plus, best of all, since I've had it has not accidentally unlocked in my pocket once, called anyone by itself once etc.

Each to their own so I'm not knocking what you're saying and have done that kind of arrangement, but your maths are a bit iffy perhaps. I got this iphone4 for £360. You wouldn't be able to buy an ipod touch + android phone + netbook for that I suspect, but even then from experience I'd say that's 3x the hassle for a very limited benefit in terms of flexibility (unless you have very specific needs).

Well you can get a net book for £200 and this Samsung runs android 2.2 and is £99 including shipping to the IOM

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/SAMSUNG-I5800-GALAXY-APOLLO/PPAY

or you could just buy a Galaxy Tab, for £299 from Asda Direct http://direct.asda.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab/000504480,default,pd.html?cm_mmc=Google-_-Asda%20Direct-_-Home%20Page-_-samsung%20tabletB

Well you can get a net book for £200 and this Samsung runs android 2.2 and is £99 including shipping to the IOM

You forgot the ipod touch that was in that recipe as well ;)

But it doesn't really matter, I was just sort of saying that it's not exactly a big money saver to try doing that suggestion if that's any of the intention and you have lots to cart round then too.

It's all by the by really.

I must admit I would rather like an android tablet (ie probably in place of my netbook) once the market settles down in terms of price/options/quality etc. But then now I have an iphone it would be an odd choice I guess, so an iPad would make more sense in terms of compatibility and easy life etc. I don't like the fact you can't expand the memory on those though, or can't plug in a USB memory stick to get files etc.

You forgot the ipod touch that was in that recipe as well ;)

But it doesn't really matter, I was just sort of saying that it's not exactly a big money saver to try doing that suggestion if that's any of the intention and you have lots to cart round then too.

It's all by the by really.

I must admit I would rather like an android tablet (ie probably in place of my netbook) once the market settles down in terms of price/options/quality etc. But then now I have an iphone it would be an odd choice I guess, so an iPad would make more sense in terms of compatibility and easy life etc. I don't like the fact you can't expand the memory on those though, or can't plug in a USB memory stick to get files etc.

You would not need an ipod touch as that phone does the same and more. I guess I was mainly highlighting that you can now get a fully featured Android 2.2 phone for under £100 and that Samsung have just slashed the prices on Galaxy Tabs.

Yep. Fair enough.

The tab is an interesting piece of kit and the price drop is welcome, although personally I think that 7" is a bit of an odd size for such a device. The screen on my netbook is 9" and I find it spot on for idle browsing etc (it's one that converts to tablet format so is comfy in one handy, and touchscreen so you can prod and drag etc with other hand). My HD2 was 4.3" and that's as big as I'd want on a phone. So at 7" it's too big really for a pocket generally, but a bit small for spending much time browsing or reading etc I'd have thought.

Still, I'm sure many people will find it ideal for whatever reason so it doesn't matter what I think.

I do think there's going to be some interesting stuff by way of android tablets in the next year or two though...

Archived