General Election 2011 - Ayre

Declan

Constituency Details - Ayre

Last time out Eddie Teare was uncontested this time he faces a challenge from former forum regular Pat Ayres of the Liberal Vannin Party. Has Eddie frugality as minister for Health and later Education, found support from the electorate or will his handling of Reciprocal Health Agreement cost him?

Manx Radio

Wikipedia

2006 Election

Candidates Declared

Pat Ayres (Liberal Vannin Party)

MF identity: Pat Ayres (formerly Skrappey and occasionally Jehovah)

Manx Radio Page

Eddie Teare

Manx Radio Page

Wikipedia Entry

Tynwald CV

==================

Note I'll try and keep updating this post with links and information as the thread and the election develops.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first post. It looks as if the Ayre thread is not of particular interest - so here's hoping for a response. At least we have competition this time. Unfortunately, I still haven't met the challenger but as an LV candidate perhaps there's a chance of some change. Although change isn't necessarily an improvement. It's just different. I'm hoping for someone who won't automatically go with fluoridation or Children's Bill just because it goes with the department. How do you decide if your candidate is the right choice when you don't know how they will react to imported legislation?

My first post. It looks as if the Ayre thread is not of particular interest - so here's hoping for a response. At least we have competition this time. Unfortunately, I still haven't met the challenger but as an LV candidate perhaps there's a chance of some change. Although change isn't necessarily an improvement. It's just different. I'm hoping for someone who won't automatically go with fluoridation or Children's Bill just because it goes with the department. How do you decide if your candidate is the right choice when you don't know how they will react to imported legislation?

Hello Reikiist....I know pretty well bugger all about Ayre, so I'm relying on my hairdresser's sister for comment as she lives there....! and I thought you deserved at least 1 response.

Here's the news...Eddie Teare to walk back in untroubled by PA of LVP. ET regarded as a true son of Ayre by the farming fraternity who remember his father; is well in with the church lot and appeals to the right-of-centre nature of that part of the world. Not my words; those of hairdresser's sister...must be true.

• 3 weeks later...

A real gentleman, hope he does well.

A real gentleman he may be but his 'manifesto' is poor. It came through the letterbox yesterday with lots of 'this isn't good enough' but nothing in the way of any alternatives.

From the manifesto it reads as if he wants things to change but doesn't really know what or how.

A real gentleman, hope he does well.

A real gentleman he may be but his 'manifesto' is poor. It came through the letterbox yesterday with lots of 'this isn't good enough' but nothing in the way of any alternatives.

From the manifesto it reads as if he wants things to change but doesn't really know what or how.

You're quite right he is a poor candidate & not half as charming when he isn't electioneering, usually very quick to critise anything Manx.

Once again Teare is the only decent candidate in this constituency, having listened to his mandate interview I also like the fact that he laboured the point that the new RHA is costing the Manx tax payer a lot of money, rather than the likes of Rodan et al who just seem hell bent on taking the credit for it.

Once again Teare is the only decent candidate in this constituency, having listened to his mandate interview I also like the fact that he laboured the point that the new RHA is costing the Manx tax payer a lot of money, rather than the likes of Rodan et al who just seem hell bent on taking the credit for it.

Teare is a bean counter - however much he denies it. He's simply trying to get past the fact that he claimed it was impossible to save it.

I listened to Andrew Newington-Bridges on Talking Heads yesterday and I have to say it sounded like he's got more balls - and more intelligence - than anyone in the Keys at the moment. I wish him well.

Once again Teare is the only decent candidate in this constituency

You're being far too generous to Teare. Anyone with more than half a brain is well aware that the RHA costs money, and any dunce can read a figure off a balance sheet out loud and talk about expense. Schools are expensive, hospitals are expensive, the police service is expensive: the question has never been about expense, but of value, which is exactly what Teare fails to appreciate or is happy to ignore; possibly because he and the government he has been a part of has been much more enthusiastic about pissing money up the wall on grandiose schemes and the like.

Of course, Teare has an ulterior motive on focusing on the expense of the RHA because it distracts from the piss poor handing of the matter by him, Bell and Brown. Even if we were to accept that they were right on that specific issue, the sheer contempt with which they treated Tynwald and how they kept everyone in the dark until the very last moment is enough to raise serious questions about their suitability for any role in government.

As Terse has already said, Teare is little more than a bean counter. He's a perfect example of the unthinking, bookkeeper politician who would happily cut everything and triumphantly declare, without the slightest hint of irony or self awareness, that society was more prosperous than ever. Were we three hundred years in the past I wouldn't be surprised to find him espousing the merits of slavery and serfdom as the most cost effective, and hence best way of organizing labour.

My understanding is that the 2.5 mil was a cost incurred by the new agreement that wasn't by the old one. Call it bean counting if you like but in my opinion it is a complete waste of money. We don't have a RHA with any other country in the world, why do we need one with the UK ? While it was freely available then yeah fine but now it's costing us serious money then get rid of it. I don't think it is any coincidence that those who were most vocal in advocating this shameful waste of public money were all from the UK originally & no doubt have more reason to frequently visit the place than the rest of us.

So good on you Eddie, he may not be the perfect politician (I think he handled the college canteen fiasco very badly) but at least there is a better than average chance that what he says is honest. Unlike the fella with two plums in his mouth & lots of money who claims he has fallen in love with the island & doesn't want his quality of life threatened. What he really means is that he's in love with the income tax rate & thinks 70K a year would help make up the shortfall the low interest rate is having on his savings.

If he really fell in love with the place 40 years ago then why did he base his manufacturing businesses in the philippines? I'll tell you why, because people are more easily exploited there, he could get his crap made for pretty much fuck all out there, making him filthy stinking rich & free to retire to his beloved IOM which just happens to be a tax haven for rich fuckers. If we allow this type of people to get into government then we really are up shit creek.

My understanding is that the 2.5 mil was a cost incurred by the new agreement that wasn't by the old one. Call it bean counting if you like but in my opinion it is a complete waste of money. We don't have a RHA with any other country in the world, why do we need one with the UK ? While it was freely available then yeah fine but now it's costing us serious money then get rid of it. I don't think it is any coincidence that those who were most vocal in advocating this shameful waste of public money were all from the UK originally & no doubt have more reason to frequently visit the place than the rest of us.

So good on you Eddie, he may not be the perfect politician (I think he handled the college canteen fiasco very badly) but at least there is a better than average chance that what he says is honest. Unlike the fella with two plums in his mouth & lots of money who claims he has fallen in love with the island & doesn't want his quality of life threatened. What he really means is that he's in love with the income tax rate & thinks 70K a year would help make up the shortfall the low interest rate is having on his savings.

If he really fell in love with the place 40 years ago then why did he base his manufacturing businesses in the philippines? I'll tell you why, because people are more easily exploited there, he could get his crap made for pretty much fuck all out there, making him filthy stinking rich & free to retire to his beloved IOM which just happens to be a tax haven for rich fuckers. If we allow this type of people to get into government then we really are up shit creek.

Nail on head I reckon.

1. Manx residents visiting the UK will receive free NHS treatment if they become ill whilst in the UK, apart from statutory charges which UK residents have to pay, such as prescription charges.

2. UK residents visiting the Isle of Man will receive free NHS treatment if they become ill whilst in the Isle of Man, apart from statutory charges which Isle of Man residents have to pay, such as prescription charges.

3. No payments for such treatment will be made to the Isle of Man by the UK, nor by the UK to the Isle of Man.

4. The treatment of Manx residents referred to the UK by the Isle of Man will continue to be paid for by the Isle of Man Health Service.

5. Each party to the Agreement can, if necessary, give 12 months notice of termination of the Agreement.

SOURCE

It seems that you (and Mr Teare) are talking a complete load of bollocks - again.

Archived