General Election 2011 - Peel

Declan

Constituency Details - Peel

Two commissioners have declared to contest this single seat constituency.

Manx Radio

Wikipedia

2006 Election

Candidates Declared

Rodger Gimbert (Peel Commissioner)

MF Name: Dodger

Manx Radio Page

Ray Harmer (Peel Commissioner)

Personal Webpage

Manx Radio Page

Sitting Members yet to Declare

Tim Crookall MHK

Tynwald CV

==================

Note I'll try and keep updating this post with links and information as the thread and the election develops.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Mr Gimbert should have put his money down the drain than stand in Peel after the way he was at the centre of the trouble at the Western Amenities Site. All the hassle there and the excuses as to why the guys were not being paid the going rates of pay and then saying he was going to pass the savings on for the rate payers of Peel to benefit from....not a good move. Perhaps Rodger Dodger should let the world know if he is in favour for the IOM to introduce Age Discrimination Legislation, do away with the default retirement age and introduce the TUPE Regs. Given how the two old boys were treated at the site and all the support they got from the public it would be interesting to see where Rodger the Dodger stands on the above and if he could clarify how much involvement he had at the site and perhaps give us all an answer as to why the employees there were not allowed to join the Whitley Council Manual Workers Pension Scheme,and be paid at the same rates as other employees at the other sites around the Island. Just a few things that need answering given the number of names on the petition supporting Brian and Mike from the site.

Ray Harmers website: http://rayharmer.im/

Economy

To seek to reverse the UK’s seizure on VAT agreement, to tackle the

pension deficit and see a reduction in financial waste.

Diversification of Economy

Environment

We need to plan the next steps in implementing renewable energy.

Create and explore more opportunities for recycling waste

Planning

This needs to be independent from the department of Infrastructure and needs with local representatives from each area.

Regeneration

We need increase the investment for regeneration and engage charities, businesses and community groups.

Transparency

To see a more open, transparent and listening government

I will be asking Mr Harmer his opinion with regards to the Ballawattleworth Action Group / Oak road dispute. He has previously been quite vocal on the subject and yet there appears to be no reference to it on his website or posted literature which I think is deliberate. As a resident of Peel I feel he has not represented the town and has purely used his position to help his own cause in protecting his own interests. Mr Harmer MHK and Mr Cushing in the Peel Town Commissioners would be quite a double act....

I am surprised that Ray Harmer even knows where the harbour (super-imposed on his website picture) is. I have yet to meet anyone who has ever seen, let alone met him.He gets a couple of hundred votes from new "residents" of cheaply built houses on the fringes of town and expects the locals to be in awe of him.Oh and we still have to swim in a bay that basically is a cess-pit.If your child has any eye/hearing/internal problems after swimming off Peel Beach contact Peel Town Commissioners and ask why a new sewage plant was rejected....AND sue..you know who voted against it...

Here are my flyer points, enjoy!

Amended to add - This was sent out middle of April, also highlighting my first public meeting on the 28th April, since then I have done 2 outdoor surgeries on Michael Street and will be doing one a month (3rd Saturday 10-12).

Kind regards

Rodger

"For Peel my aims are to protect and enhance the uniqueness of our community. To this end I will, if elected, work towards supporting improvements for the following areas:-

Parking is a major issue for Peel and has been for many years. I will endeavour to improve parking by promoting a second level on the Douglas Street/Market Place car park which will benefit businesses and residents alike.

IRIS regional strategy means that Peel is due to get an open treatment works within our town boundary. This will have a visual impact as well as a smell that will detract from the beauty of Peel. I will continue to oppose this option.

Social Housing needs to continue to be provided and appropriately modernised. We have started, but it is important that this doesnt stall due to the current economic constraints.

Sympathetic regeneration of Peel using private and public funding needs to be encouraged. The Sailors Shelter on Peel Quay is a facility that needs to be protected as part of our heritage and if the area is re-developed, it should be enhanced as part of any proposed scheme.

Peel is a cost effective option for relocation of business as our rents and rates are competitive with other areas of the island. I would actively promote Peel as a supportive environment for niche business opportunities.

Available retail and office space could be used to create job opportunities to help rejuvenate Peel. I would work towards making this a reality, by encouraging partnerships with property owners and Government to best utilise the available asset and internal space.

Open communication channels for the electorate are vitally important if an MHK is to represent the constituents views accurately. If elected I would reintroduce monthly surgeries as part of my commitment to represent Peel people in Government.

Roads around Peel are a major issue with HGVs using the town as a short cut, I will work towards a weight restriction on the roads through the town apart from the dedicated HGV route to the power station and busses. I will also endeavour to work towards a long term solution for Peel in the form of a properly designed and situated relief road; transferring the traffic to Oak Road does not resolve the issue.

For the Island To promote an open and accountable Government, I would propose the following:-

A robust and meaningful Freedom of Information Act.

A publicly elected Chief Minister,

Publically elected MLCs.

Continued economic development, through greater diversification.

Greater scrutiny of Government expenditure, through new committees being set up with investigative powers, with similar authority to a Departmental member.

Lead by example, MHK/MLC pensions to be contributable and any pay awards linked to Civil Service.

A reduction in departmental membership to reduce patronage.

Pro-active investment in the islands front line public services, with a high priority given to the most vulnerable in our society.

All Businesses operating on the island to be registered for VAT on the island, as this benefits the Manx portion of the tax sharing agreement and could benefit our Finance sector.

Actively protect the use of the Manx language and promote Manx culture as a means of maintaining Manx identity.

Encourage Government departments to relocate out of rented accommodation in Douglas, to regenerate growth in all areas of the island.

Strong representation of the IOM with the UK and Europe to protect our current agreements and enhance our international standing."

A good list. I don't think it matches my perception of you as a ritual objector though. I know you're going for votes, but it doesn't seem to contain your normal pet subjects.

Don't agree with a publicly elected CM, we vote for a government and they elect a CM. Why should it be a public vote?

Does any other country publicly vote in a head of parliament? What are the costs of another two elections to find MLC's and a CM?

CM is head of Government, President of Tynwald is Head of Parliament & Speaker of the House of Keys is head of lower house.

Can you name another democracy where the Government isn't chosen by the people?

I am surprised that Ray Harmer even knows where the harbour (super-imposed on his website picture) is. I have yet to meet anyone who has ever seen, let alone met him.He gets a couple of hundred votes from new "residents" of cheaply built houses on the fringes of town and expects the locals to be in awe of him.Oh and we still have to swim in a bay that basically is a cess-pit.If your child has any eye/hearing/internal problems after swimming off Peel Beach contact Peel Town Commissioners and ask why a new sewage plant was rejected....AND sue..you know who voted against it...

I have seen him, met him, talked to him and got the impression that he has common sense which disqualifies him from being an MHK! (by the way I do not live in Ballawattleworth!)

As for the cess pit of a bay, under your argument then any Commissioner would not be a suitable MHK candidate.

Dodger, you are against the Iris proposal, surely it cannot be any worse than the eyesore of the power station chimney and the smell from the kipper yard (being one of the few people that can't stand kippers, I find that smell offensive) If you speak to people from the adjoining island they will tell you that properly filtered sewage beds do not smell and I know of a few in the areas where my relatives live and they have had no problems. Are you arguing against for arguments sake??

Dodger, you are against the Iris proposal, surely it cannot be any worse than the eyesore of the power station chimney and the smell from the kipper yard (being one of the few people that can't stand kippers, I find that smell offensive) If you speak to people from the adjoining island they will tell you that properly filtered sewage beds do not smell and I know of a few in the areas where my relatives live and they have had no problems. Are you arguing against for arguments sake??

Same here in the Swiss Alps - you wouldn't even know the treatment plants exist.

A good list. I don't think it matches my perception of you as a ritual objector though. I know you're going for votes, but it doesn't seem to contain your normal pet subjects.

Don't agree with a publicly elected CM, we vote for a government and they elect a CM. Why should it be a public vote?

Does any other country publicly vote in a head of parliament? What are the costs of another two elections to find MLC's and a CM?

The publically elected CM could be done quite easily, the current set of MHK's are asked if they want to be CM, hats in the ring, voted on and then those people with 13 votes get put onto a list that is voted on at the general election, no seperate election and cost to produce additional ballot papers and counting shouldn't be that high as the same returning officers could be used as well as counters with a central location to total up the CM count - I should also also state that I favour Steve Rodan as CM.

As to any other Country voting for a CM, how many country's have the majority as independent candidates? We are unique and therefore should have our own unique system.

The publically elected CM could be done quite easily, the current set of MHK's are asked if they want to be CM, hats in the ring, voted on and then those people with 13 votes get put onto a list that is voted on at the general election, no seperate election and cost to produce additional ballot papers and counting shouldn't be that high as the same returning officers could be used as well as counters with a central location to total up the CM count - I should also also state that I favour Steve Rodan as CM.

You want to ask the outgoing members if they want to be CM? The outgoing members who might not get back in, and excluding new members that may get voted in? Have I missed something?

As to any other Country voting for a CM, how many country's have the majority as independent candidates? We are unique and therefore should have our own unique system.

Jersey and Guernsey.

Why's a publicly elected CM important?

Archived