Manx Radio News

Desperate Dan

I don't know if anyone else picked up on this but yesterday Manx Radio reported that a child had drowned in Peel harbour. Then they changed their story to a child had drowned in a pond in a garden. Then they reported from outside the house and gave out the address!!!

A child had not drowned. The child was infact taken to hospital and is being treated and thoughts must go out to the family at what must be a traumatic time.

A million quid from the gov and more news staff than you can shake a stick at and they get something like this so very very wrong. Shocking!!!

Heads should roll...to give the address out and say a child had drowned! Im appauled.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally agree. We were talking about this last night and the different versions coming out from Manx Radio. Appalling to stand outside someones house and report that a child had allegedly drowned. Police had to issue a statement saying that an incident had occured, it was being treated as an accident and a child had been taken to hospital. The parents have requested that their privacy be observed. Too damn right, it's not a ghoul show. What on earth were the reporters or manx Radio thinking?

I don't know if anyone else picked up on this but yesterday Manx Radio reported that a child had drowned in Peel harbour. Then they changed their story to a child had drowned in a pond in a garden. Then they reported from outside the house and gave out the address!!!

A child had not drowned. The child was infact taken to hospital and is being treated and thoughts must go out to the family at what must be a traumatic time.

A million quid from the gov and more news staff than you can shake a stick at and they get something like this so very very wrong. Shocking!!!

Heads should roll...to give the address out and say a child had drowned! Im appauled.

I heard this. What were they thinking ? It is appalling and they should issue an immediate public apology with a rap on the knuckles for the reporter concerned. I think Manx Radio are getting confused between themselves and Sky News.

Did you see that story about a "missing teenager". He was 19, they knew he'd caught the ferry.

Ok he'd not told anyone where he was. That's selfish but it is his prerogative.

and had anyone told him he was 'missing' ?

he could be blissfully unaware :D

Our tax money hard at work.

Complete joke of a station, hence why I don't listen to it or read the web site.

Love it.

Being a keen none listener, and an avid none reader of the site, yours must be a very valid opinion.

Complete joke of a station, hence why I don't listen to it or read the web site.

Love it.

Being a keen none listener, and an avid none reader of the site, yours must be a very valid opinion.

My taxes pay this just as much as yours, so my opinion is just as valid.

Now fuck off and play in the traffic son.

Depending on your definition, "drowning" may or may not result in death.

Here's a World Health Organization definition from http://www.ripcurrents.noaa.gov/resources/DrowningFactSheetWHO2.pdf:

Drowning is the process of experiencing respiratory impairment from submersion/immersion in liquid. Drowning outcomes are classified as death, morbidity and no morbidity

When I was about ten years old, I spent a minute or two on the bottom of a large pool before a neighbor heard someone shout that I was drowning, swam across the pool, dove down, pulled me out, and managed to revive me. To my way of thinking, I survived drowning.

Love it.

My taxes pay this just as much as yours, so my opinion is just as valid.

Now fuck off and play in the traffic son.

Wow i am getting a hard-on just by reading your reply.

Did you see that story about a "missing teenager". He was 19, they knew he'd caught the ferry.

Ok he'd not told anyone where he was. That's selfish but it is his prerogative.

In the case of whatever happened in Peel, no official statement had been made, and expect that there wouldn't have been. The ambulance service doesn't report on every case it deals with. Instead, Manx Radio took it upon themselves to get the story completely wrong, and I imagine cause much upset to the childs's family. I hope questions are asked in Tynwald on this, as well as a complaint to OfCom (who regulate the radio).

With regards to the missing 19 year old, his family must have had enough concerns over him disappearing to contact the Police. They too must have had concerns as I expect it was them who discovered he had got on the ferry and then disappeared the other end. The Police's job is to then try and find him and ensure that he is safe and well. They aren't allowed to tell his family where abouts in the UK he is unless the 19 years gives permission (as he is an adult), simply tell his family that he is safe and well. In this case, the Police had issued a media release asking for information on his location.

Archived