More Bad Mgp News

Pierrot Lunaire

It would be a shame if the awful weather conditions contributed to this incident. As I understand it, there were only two or three riders who were keen to start this race in such conditions, and the majority of the field, or certainly of those that Manx Radio interviewed just before the start wanted it postponed.

It would be a shame if the awful weather conditions contributed to this incident. As I understand it, there were only two or three riders who were keen to start this race in such conditions, and the majority of the field, or certainly of those that Manx Radio interviewed just before the start wanted it postponed.

Throttle works both ways, and it is a shame but the riders know the risks.

More sad news from today's racing. 20 year old Wayne Hamilton killed at the 13th milestone. Seems awfully young to me.

Yes I get that uneasy feeling too. I guess the only way to look at it is that he achieved a podium right at the start of his career which is more than a lot of riders do so he and his family must have felt so proud before this happened. Let's hope that it wasn't a mistake to run the race when they did. RIP lad, and commiserations to your family.

That argument does not work in a race situation like the TT/MGP, maybe on the road going for a blast but when you are entering a competition like the MGP/TT you are trying to go as fast as you possibly can.

The riders don't think about the consequences of crashing, if they did they would not race, no they plan on going as fast as their bike will carry them so they can get the best result, adrenaline kicks in and they go for it.

This is where the TT course fails for me, because when they race and make a little mistake it often ends in very serious injury or worse.

The course is inherently dangerous because of walls, trees and the like that line it, that is the problem that will one day end its running.

You cant stand on the start line and ask the competitors to "work the throttle both ways" on their way round during a competition where the winner is the fastest one around the course.

That argument does not work in a race situation like the TT/MGP, maybe on the road going for a blast but when you are entering a competition like the MGP/TT you are trying to go as fast as you possibly can.

The riders don't think about the consequences of crashing, if they did they would not race, no they plan on going as fast as their bike will carry them so they can get the best result, adrenaline kicks in and they go for it.

This is where the TT course fails for me, because when they race and make a little mistake it often ends in very serious injury or worse.

The course is inherently dangerous because of walls, trees and the like that line it, that is the problem that will one day end its running.

You cant stand on the start line and ask the competitors to "work the throttle both ways" on their way round during a competition where the winner is the fastest one around the course.

+1

I look at certain race courses over the world and see how reasonably safe they are compared to ours and even when they fall off, they seem to slide on their backsides for ages, before landing on a gravel trap and then see them jump up and hastily rush towards their bikes in an effort to continue. I very much doubt (and especially in the current climate), that there'll ever be a new modified and safe track over here and my heart goes out to the families (including a friends wife whose husband came third in the same race on Saturday), who must cross their fingers hoping that their loved ones return back to the grandstand in one piece.

Sadly, a young man who has proved his excellence of winning a race recently on Saturday, joins a growing list of competitors who fell foul of the course or conditions and my condolences and commiserations go out to those who knew him.

Picking up the pieces isn't a job I'd want to do, although adding or removing limbs isn't exciting either and the snap, crack and pop just appears to be another year of incidents for the Hospital, but I'd just wish the speeds and distance were reduced and that a new course was introduced with the element on safety......... Ah well..... I can wish.

I can only assume that Ben's death doesn't fit with Pierre the Lunatic's agenda & so doesn't warrant a thread of its own.

What a silly post. That is also very sad, but for one it wasn't mentioned on Manx Radio's site, and for another it isn't local news. And in fact, your post is the first I've heard of it.

I remember well someone else using the expression that the throttle turns both ways, this was during a discussion about the safety of the TT.

His name was Stanley Michael Bailey Hailwood.

I can only assume that Ben's death doesn't fit with Pierre the Lunatic's agenda & so doesn't warrant a thread of its own.

What a silly post. That is also very sad, but for one it wasn't mentioned on Manx Radio's site, and for another it isn't local news. And in fact, your post is the first I've heard of it.

Not a bike fan then?

I remember well someone else using the expression that the throttle turns both ways, this was during a discussion about the safety of the TT.

His name was Stanley Michael Bailey Hailwood.

I guess that means driving home from the chip shop should be banned?

Not a bike fan then?

No, I'm not.

So why are there at least 6 threads on this forum started by yourself within the last week all on the subject of bikes, usually about a crash on both closed & open roads at the TT,MGP & Southern 100? Don't you think using misfortune & in this case a tradgic death to further your own narrow minded argument is in poor taste?

You are entitled to your point of view but eagerly waiting by your keyboard to highlight any bad news which befalls the sport is a bit morbid to say the least. You could at least wait until the poor bugger's cold before using his misfortune to try & force your opinion onto others.

I'm not interested in getting into a discussion with you about the rights or wrongs of roadracing on this thread, but if your point of view is so compelling why not start a thread to discuss it which doesn't involve ambulance chasing

Not a bike fan then?

No, I'm not.

Well then why do you always feel obliged to start a thread every time there's a bike accident on the Isle of Man? I heard this accident reported on RTE news today and immediately I thought I bet Pierrot Lunaire has started another thread on it. You're a despicable creature pedaling your own sad little agenda on the back of other people's misery. Someday you're going to going talk this sort of crap to the wrong person and wake up with a crowd round you.

Not a bike fan then?

No, I'm not.

Well then why do you always feel obliged to start a thread every time there's a bike accident on the Isle of Man? I heard this accident reported on RTE news today and immediately I thought I bet Pierrot Lunaire has started another thread on it. You're a despicable creature pedaling your own sad little agenda on the back of other people's misery. Someday you're going to going talk this sort of crap to the wrong person and wake up with a crowd round you.

Fully agree MM, for someone who is not a motorcycle fan he is quick to pounce on the downside of it. Shame on you PL

Archived