Talk Me Through Taking A Car On The Boat

sarahc

Yes I know it seems really obvious. But I've not been on the ferry for 10 years at least, and then only on foot. When I go away I usually fly.

I'm taking the car to Liverpool one way then coming back from Heysham a week later.

So could someone walk me through the process? How long before the sailing time do you get there? Where do you go? Do they put up signs or do they just expect you to know where to go? Do you have to park up and check in 9and if so where), or do you just sit in the car till you get on? Any general tips?

Thanks smile.png

just turn into the blue fenced area off the small sea terminal roundabout at the latest 45 mins before sailing time, there will be someone on the gate, join the queue and move up to the checkin booth and have your booking printout handy with the reference number on it, they will hand you boarding cards and tell you where to go (lane number) where there will be another bod directing you, etc until you are parked up on board

At Heysham you join a queue and the chap usually comes around the queue collecting the booking forms and comes back with your boarding cards, then just follow instructions etc

just avoid low slung long wheelbase vehicles especially at low tide at Liverpool - make sure you lock the car whilst on the boat - the Ben is easy to load, Manannin is not quite so easy as some parking spaces are tight - remember to fill up at Asda on the way back to Heysham (much cheaper - card operated pumps) - ignore the port direction as you get out of Lancaster along the riverside road and take the local access route - Asda is just down that road + much much cheaper - if however you park in Asda for more shopping (usually very worthwhile) make sure car is secure and somewhere visible (once had someone try to open up petrol cap on my Smart!)

If it's dark - don't use you headlights on deck or in the yard - use side lights - the handlers can see you, and you don't blind them when driving up/down/on/off ramps.

Leave the car in gear and apply the handbrake. If the car starts to slip on a wet deck the engine compression stops the front wheels turning.

Fill up before you get back to the port on your return - but do not brim the tank.

Like the guys say the process of putting a car on the boat is very straight forward. What you may find difficult though, especially in the current economic climate, is arranging the second mortgage that you will need to pay for it. Look on the bright side though, at least traveling with the racket will help to put any other customer service experience you ever have into perspective.

The Steam Packet men are just super helpful so you really dont have to worry.

I got so upset trying to reverse into a park that one of them took over the driving for me and told me lots of people find it difficult to park on the boat.

The last 2 times I havent even tried to do it myself. Ive just asked discreetly and the ever helpful steam packet men have come to my rescue.

Of course when my other half has been with me there is no question of him asking for help ..even if he is struggling.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived