Internet Addiction!

Endovelicus

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/addicted-scientists-show-how-internet-dependency-alters-the-human-brain-6288344.html

From this article:

Internet addiction has for the first time been linked with changes in the brain similar to those seen in people addicted to alcohol, cocaine and cannabis. In a groundbreaking study, researchers used MRI scanners to reveal abnormalities in the brains of adolescents who spent many hours on the internet, to the detriment of their social and personal lives. The finding could throw light on other behavioural problems and lead to the development of new approaches to treatment, researchers said.

An estimated 5 to 10 per cent of internet users are thought to be addicted – meaning they are unable to control their use. The majority are games players who become so absorbed in the activity they go without food or drink for long periods and their education, work and relationships suffer.

Researchers in China scanned the brains of 17 adolescents diagnosed with "internet addiction disorder" who had been referred to the Shanghai Mental Health Centre, and compared the results with scans from 16 of their peers.

The results showed impairment of white matter fibres in the brain connecting regions involved in emotional processing, attention, decision making and cognitive control. Similar changes to the white matter have been observed in other forms of addiction to substances such as alcohol and cocaine.

I think I would rather my children were on the internet than on the crack...you know what I'm sayin, f' me do people actually get grants to come up with this kind of revolutionary bullshit, can't they think of something decent to repair, like cancer or fatness?

I have recently been trying to do some family history research, which can become very addictive !

Some of the search facilities are brilliant, particularly Cornwall where I have got back to about 1600, 11 generations !

(cornwall.opc)

I am still having difficuly getting further than 1800's in IoM or UK/Ireland on other branches (or is it 'roots' ?) :(

I see that MNH are soon going to put stuff on-line (?) but looks like they will be charging for the use of it !

typical £££££ kerching !

I just hope the search works better than the one on gov.im does !

Archived