Saint Patricks Day

TheDruid-3X3

Awens to All:

I was wondering if Saint Patricks Day is Celebrated on our Isle of Mann.

It must be Celebrated in some form in Peel since the Fortress is built on an Island called "Saint Patricks Island".

So is Saint Patricks Day Celebrate on Mann?

3X3

Wasn't St Patrick from Scotland?

I'm sure a St George's day English booze up (that Syrian chap) would go down well in Irish pubs too. Don't know why anyone hasn't thought of marketing that idea too...

...er...oh yeah, all that shit in Ireland started by the English monarchy from Germany.

Have you not concocted a delicious nutritious St Patricks day feast for us to salivate over?

I have Scalloped Potatoes of my own design with Two Fried Eggs.

I had only Two Eggs left, so it is not a Triad Breakfast.

I originally posted my Triad Breakfast Idea cause I thought some Manx Restaurant or Hotel in Douglas or Castle Town might find it and go, "What A Brilliant Idea! A Breakfast Plate That Sort Of Resembles The Three Legged Symbol Of Mann!", and put it onto their Menu for various Tourists to enjoy.

3X3

For Saint Patricks Day, if I were on Mann, I would pack a Picnic Lunch with a couple Cans of Guinness and go into Peel Castle on St. Patricks Island and have a Saint Patricks Day Picnic in the Old Lawn Bowling Field in the NW Corner of the Fortress.

Then after the Night Falls, go off to the British Legion and have more Pints of Guinness.

That would be a well rounded Saint Patricks Day IMO.

3X3

I'm sure a St George's day English booze up (that Syrian chap) would go down well in Irish pubs too. Don't know why anyone hasn't thought of marketing that idea too...

...er...oh yeah, all that shit in Ireland started by the English monarchy from Germany.

I think you will find that the Irish problem was created by one Cambro-Norman Richard de Clare aka "Strongbow" (Yes, they named the cider after him!) who was invited by an Irish king to come over and help reclaim his kingdom and in return "Strongbow" married his daughter....(And took a lot of land and sparked off the Anglo-Norman colonisation of Ireland...

This was all in 1100 and tiddly wotsit as I can't be bothered to look it up.

Incidentally, the Isle of Man sought to prevent the Cambro-Norman (Welsh-Norman) invasion and sent about 30 ships of the Manx Navy to head off "Strongbow" but they were twatted by the Normans and that was that!

"Strongbow" recruited mercenaries from the Low Countries and their Flemish names eventually became Irish ie "Poe" is now "Power" and of course Bolger...There are others but I am not bothered tonight!

I think you will find that the Irish problem was created by one Cambro-Norman Richard de Clare aka "Strongbow" (Yes, they named the cider after him!) who was invited by an Irish king to come over and help reclaim his kingdom and in return "Strongbow" married his daughter....(And took a lot of land and sparked off the Anglo-Norman colonisation of Ireland...

This was all in 1100 and tiddly wotsit as I can't be bothered to look it up.

Incidentally, the Isle of Man sought to prevent the Cambro-Norman (Welsh-Norman) invasion and sent about 30 ships of the Manx Navy to head off "Strongbow" but they were twatted by the Normans and that was that!

"Strongbow" recruited mercenaries from the Low Countries and their Flemish names eventually became Irish ie "Poe" is now "Power" and of course Bolger...There are others but I am not bothered tonight!

Is that Paddy Power? I'll drink to that,hic

The manx patron saint is St Maughold apparently and his day is 27th April .

In the mid-1980s a gnarled old Manxman bearing a striking resemblance to Terry Cringle spoke to me (via Manx Radio) and explained that the real but long forgotten patron Saint of the Isle of Man was St Runius who has a church to his name in the landlocked Parish of Marown (?)...

Maughold was the evangelic or Apostolic Saint send by St Patrick to pacify and convert the Manx Heathen to the one true faith...(Alcohol?)

Apparently St Maughold aka St Michael ...(Some of you older ones may yet still possess Y-Fronts/Boxers &/or fragrant Undies annointed in his Holy Name)... had been a bad lad and the Manx posting was a form of penitence...a bit like an eighteen month unaccompanied RAF posting to Gan or Diego Garcia or the Falklands.

Then there is St German who is known throughout Christendom as the Patron Saint of Luftwaffe bombers targetting Scouse chip shops.

Paddy Power is an Irish bookie..."Powers" is an Irish Whiskey....Nevertheless you are a man of impeccable taste and therefore I shall allow you to buy me a drink which is not a privilege I accord to many....

Well, I was a little 'confused' yesterday I guess I was combining Powers with this http://www.paddy.ie/index.html Next time you are over here in the IOM PM me and I will buy you a drink.

I celebrated it by getting entirely ringpieced.

So what you having for tea druid? Might i recommend a triad of sausages and 3 dolops of mash? You could even have 3 spots of mustard to really finish it off.

• 2 weeks later...

Awens to All:

I was wondering if Saint Patricks Day is Celebrated on our Isle of Mann.

It must be Celebrated in some form in Peel since the Fortress is built on an Island called "Saint Patricks Island".

So is Saint Patricks Day Celebrate on Mann?

3X3

Bit late posting, so sorry. But there's lots goes on for Paddy's Day (or should I say at night). At least 3 Traditional Irish music sessions in different pubs (there's some great Irish musicians live here) and Peel Golf Club always have a special Irish entertainment night. I suppose the placenames associated with St Patrick were a result of the Irish missionaries who came here in the 6thC but their influence sort of lapsed over the centuries what with subsequent Welsh, Scottish, Viking and English invaders!

Archived