Dredd

K.os Theory

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm going to stick my neck out and say it looks pretty good, Mega-City1 really should be a bit more built up/crowded but i'm liking the overall vibe, and from the looks of things he's not taking his helmet off!

Certainly a big improvement over the last effort.....but....

Doesn't it all look a bit 'real'? The judges look all skinny and normal, they're supposed to be big wide badass mofo's. Wonder if CGI wouldn't fit Dredd better than live action?

dredd.jpg

Total Recall, Footloose, StarTrek, Judge Dredd....what next?

I don't think Dredd belongs in that list. This is a new film, a new story with a character that's been around for 30 years and is still going.

Total Recall, Footloose, StarTrek, Judge Dredd....what next?

I don't think Dredd belongs in that list. This is a new film, a new story with a character that's been around for 30 years and is still going.

You could say the same with StarTrek. And look how awful that turned out.

8/10 on IMDB Awful?

I don't see the complaint. Rehashing old 80's stuff fair enough, but this is a new film based on an ongoing comic not a remake/reboot of an old property.

I guess you do hate everything...

8/10 on IMDB Awful?

I don't see the complaint. Rehashing old 80's stuff fair enough, but this is a new film based on an ongoing comic not a remake/reboot of an old property.

I guess you do hate everything...

Not true. I dont hate you. I have no reason to as your just an anonymous avatar of an anonymous internet poster.

Now shit films. Those I hate. And shit redos/reboots I hate even more.

And using IMDB as any sort of evidence for a film being any good....you know half the reviews are written by interest groups right?

I mean look at Transformers 3. That was pure unadulterated shite from start to finish. Yet there was still 10/10 reviews from it.

I have noticed that all the mega 10/10 reveiws for films tend to just a couple of lines or the usual "you just don't understand the films message" bollocks, where as negative reviews tend to be longer and alot have listed reasons for the negative reviews.

"Monsters" is another good example of the so called sophisticated film reviewer (wannabes). All the "the film has an underlying message about Americans mistreating Mexicans...blah...blah...blah 10 out of 10" reviews were torpedoed when the director said there was no underlying story or hidden meaning to it.

And StarTrek was awful, pitiful portrayals of established characters and dreadful dialouge which was filmed on an industrial estate with the bridge being filmed in the lighting department of Ikea with all the lights turned up to maximum.

Yeah Slim I know what you mean, Dredd has that "JAW-LINE" that I don't think really exists in the real world, plus all the other things that make that universe so special, the fatties instantly spring to mind...but I'm really kind of liking this, i'll save my "judgement" until the movie comes out, but I know my mum is going to just a sceptical...

There's so much great source material in 2000AD...The Ballad of Halo Jones I think would work amazingly well as a movie ( as long as it was cast correctly ), so would Robo-Hunter or maybe even Strontium Dogs...

edited for spelling

Now shit films. Those I hate. And shit redos/reboots I hate even more.

I mean look at Transformers 3. That was pure unadulterated shite from start to finish. Yet there was still 10/10 reviews from it.

And using IMDB as any sort of evidence for a film being any good....you know half the reviews are written by interest groups right?

Transformers 3, 6.3 on IMDB, seems about right for a mediocre film? Not sure that proves your point exactly.

So every film has to be original? No sequels? No re-using old characters? No Dark Knight? No Lord of the Rings? Cape Fear? The Departed?

How about Dracula, Bond, Winnie the Pooh

There's no new stories under the sun, a reboot/remake can bring up todate a good story and apply modern tastes and techniques to make the whole thing better and worth while. Look at the True Grit remake. Great original, great new version. Both stand on their own and show the journey of cinema in between.

Dredd's a great (british) character and deserves far better than that shit awful stallone flm (5.1 imdb), bring on the reboot.

I have noticed that all the mega 10/10 reveiws for films tend to just a couple of lines or the usual "you just don't understand the films message" bollocks, where as negative reviews tend to be longer and alot have listed reasons for the negative reviews.

Welcome to the internet, some peoples opinions are wrong as ably demonstrated here by your good self. The scores aggregate well over time, and combined with other sites you get a sense of what is good and what is shit. Look at the top 250, it's pretty spot on. Look at the bottom.

And StarTrek was awful, pitiful portrayals of established characters and dreadful dialouge which was filmed on an industrial estate with the bridge being filmed in the lighting department of Ikea with all the lights turned up to maximum.

I liked it a lot. It was faithful to the original and not 'grim' like many modern reboots, a good story and it was cast well particularly Spock. To quote the leading IMDB review "optimistic, exciting, thrilling, humorous, and thoroughly enjoyable", pretty much everything your posts aren't.

There's so much great source material in 2000AD...The Ballad of Halo Jones I think would work amazingly well as a movie ( as long as it was cast correctly ), so would Robo-Hunter or maybe even Stronium Dogs...

I think we're seeing a trend of film and TV makers being braver with the source material too. Things like Inception and Hunger Games taking on harder subjects in blockbusters might mean films like Dredd stay truer to the comic.

Heard that Kurt Urban is playing Dredd this time around. Kinda like asking Sheouf LeBouf to play the next Terminator.

I disagree about that. Karl Urban is a big imposing bloke (ok not in Star Trek) but check him out in the Chronicles of Riddick. He's a decent actor too, not that that is required for this movie!

Archived