Dredd

K.os Theory

Heard that Kurt Urban is playing Dredd this time around. Kinda like asking Sheouf LeBouf to play the next Terminator.

I disagree about that. Karl Urban is a big imposing bloke (ok not in Star Trek) but check him out in the Chronicles of Riddick. He's a decent actor too, not that that is required for this movie!

He isnt that big. In CoR thats all padding under the armour. And check his awesome acting skills in Doom: The Movie.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked it a lot. It was faithful to the original and not 'grim' like many modern reboots, a good story and it was cast well particularly Spock. To quote the leading IMDB review "optimistic, exciting, thrilling, humorous, and thoroughly enjoyable", pretty much everything your posts aren't.

Faithful? Its a shameless reboot.

A good story? Please its a tired "lets change time" cliche.

And every single character was a exagerated characture of the original characters...Karl Urban haming up bones, Chekov and his Wictor, Wictor bollocks, and Simon Pegg shoe horned in as Scotty (and sounding more like Welshy).

The sets were awful, the dialouge painful. I prey to god they don't follow it.

And check his awesome acting skills in Doom: The Movie.

How much acting range do you need to play Dredd exactly?

I'm not generally in favour of reboots or remakes, but when it's done well, and isn't a shot for shot refilming of an original, it's fine. You look at something like the Elm Street remake a couple of years ago that was competently done, but made no effort to demonstrate any originality. I worry for the upcoming Robocop film in this way too, but there's a good cast signed on so it may not be that bad.

Star Trek is actually a very good example of doing it right. The reboot went back to a time in the characters lives that had never been filmed and rather cleverly played out a storyline that allowed them to completely shift away from the previous films and create their own universe to tell their stories in. The film was pitched just right for me. It's Star Trek, it's not some deep and meaningful masterpiece, it's popcorn sci-fi and I personally think they got the tone, the casting and the whole "feel" of the film spot on. They referenced back to canon events established in later films and were respectful of the characters without imitating them. I'm not even that big a Trek fan, I just thought it was really well done.

Anyway, back to Dredd. As has been pointed out, this isn't a remake of the film from the 90s, this is a new film based on the character. If you want a comic book character to get one film series and that's it, we'd never have seen either Nolan's or Burton's Batman films, they wouldn't have made a new Spiderman film and they'd have not made two Fantastic Four films this side of the millenium. Actually, maybe that last one isn't such a bad thing.

I prey to god they don't follow it.

I imagine you're going to get veins bulging out your neck when you realise they already completed filming on it for next Summer's release. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1408101/

Oh and Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan's in it. Played by Benedict Cumberbatch. You know, the guy who played Sherlock recently, who if we had your way on characters never getting to tell new stories, would never have been in that role either. You must really hate that guy now.

Faithful? Its a shameless reboot.

Yes, faithful. For the reasons I gave. Care to respond to them? What's shameless about a reboot?

A good story? Please its a tired "lets change time" cliche.

You've really picked the wrong film to deride reboots. As Ans said, this is one example of it going right. The plot's great, it paints a backstory for the characters that we know well and is faithful to them the time travel and action bits are only a part of it.

The sets were awful, the dialouge painful. I prey to god they don't follow it.

You really are a miserable human.

StarTrek has some of the laziest stories I have seen in ages.

The whole story is based on screaming coincidences.

Kirk just happens to meet Uhura in a bar.....

All the main characters happen to be at the Acadamy together.

Nero travels back in time. Does he warn the Romulan Empire of its impending doom? Does he warn the Alpha quadrant about the Borg, or the Dominion? No he blows up Vulkan....

Pike promotes Kirk to First Officer....on a whim...even though there would have been an established chain of command on the ship.

We are going to "skydive" on to a target the size of my back garden (from orbit)...lets give all the explosives to one guy....and who then (shock horro) dies.

Kirk is stranded (by new Spock) on an ice planet Delta Vega (not in the Vulkan star system). Do they not have brigs in the future?

Kirk bumps into future Spock (shock horror). Spock tells Kirk that Nero stranded him there so he could watch the death of Vulcan (but Delta Vega isn't in the Vulkan system) and if the planet (visible to the human eye) is being eaten by a black hole, the planet you're stood is going to be next.

They then wander into a Federation base (that they just happen to be in walking range of) that just happens to have one Montgomery Scott stationed there (were they even trying at this point?) and Spock breaks the Temperal Laws and hands Scotty technology that isnt due to be invented for another 60 years.

• 3 weeks later...

well now you've all stopped talking about Star Trek...looks like the film has been getting some pretty good reviews!

quote taken from SFX.

The word is out Earthlets, and the word is zarjaz. It’s official: Dredd is fantastic, and we can all rejoice that finally 2000AD’s finest has the movie he deserves. Making its debut at San Diego Comic Con, Dredd is 90-odd minutes of pure exhilaration. Thank Tharg for that.

From a high-octane opening salvo to a truly spectacular finale, via ultra-violent shoot-outs and super-stylish 3D, Dredd pulls no punches. Effortlessly laying the ghost of Sly Stallone’s 1995 atrocity to rest, it’s gritty, brutal, packed with stand-out moments and tonally faithful to the source material.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/07/12/dredd-the-sfx-verdict/

Count me in!

WOOT indeed Slim....check this clip out ( definately NSFW )...

I love how they have the blood effect dropping outside of the frame of the movie...very comic-book-like!

I'm getting a real "Raid Redemption" ( trapped in a building working up floor by floor ) vibe as well, if it's half as good as that movie it's gonna be brilliant!

• 1 month later...

Archived