Where Can/should You Get A Big Coat?

immortalpuppet

Sirstabby, pleased to hear you've joined the "orange army", I marshal on the mountain and the gear you need could depend on exactly where you marshal, if you have somewhere to shelter or if you are in one of the more "exposed sites". You can get a % discount at a number of 'outlets' if you show your marshals authority. The TTMA only provide you with a tabard, get the largest size as it goes on last and most of us wear layers of clothing when it gets a bit 'parky'.

I wear thermals, and a boiler suit is a good idea as it keeps you warmer than than strides and a top. Waterproof top and trousers are a must if you are not based in a 'shelter'. Wear stout shoes or boots (if there is an 'off' kick bits of wreckage off the road rather than picking them up) and a pair of thick gloves can be useful as some bike bits can be hot and sharp.

If you want any further info contact me and I will bell you ( I've been fortunate enough to marshal for 6/7 years).

Sirstabby, just found out from a mate who marshals - you'll get a high-viz tabard when you sign on. You can apparantly get the orange waterproof jacket from Newsons on the Quay (but you'll have to pay for it). Sorry to give you duff info sad.png

I have already signed on but they forgot to give me a high-viz thing; I was told I'd get given it on Saturday (uh oh identified who I am on the internet to at least someone lol) but cheers for the info anyway smile.png

(On that note I frigging love one thing they did give me when signing on was an ashtray. A brilliant fuck you to politically correct types, that smile.png )

Sirstabby, pleased to hear you've joined the "orange army", I marshal on the mountain and the gear you need could depend on exactly where you marshal, if you have somewhere to shelter or if you are in one of the more "exposed sites". You can get a % discount at a number of 'outlets' if you show your marshals authority. The TTMA only provide you with a tabard, get the largest size as it goes on last and most of us wear layers of clothing when it gets a bit 'parky'.

I wear thermals, and a boiler suit is a good idea as it keeps you warmer than than strides and a top. Waterproof top and trousers are a must if you are not based in a 'shelter'. Wear stout shoes or boots (if there is an 'off' kick bits of wreckage off the road rather than picking them up) and a pair of thick gloves can be useful as some bike bits can be hot and sharp.

If you want any further info contact me and I will bell you ( I've been fortunate enough to marshal for 6/7 years).

PM'd ya - thanks so much!

I will be reporting to 33rd milestone on Saturday. Not sure what happens after that :)

I did say when I signed on that I wanted to do the mountain. It seems that my subsequent research shows that it's a fairly unpopular choice that, which seems totally insane to me if it isn't about the weather. In which case I thought... bettter get something vaguely waterproof for once!

Sirstabby, just found out from a mate who marshals - you'll get a high-viz tabard when you sign on. You can apparantly get the orange waterproof jacket from Newsons on the Quay (but you'll have to pay for it). Sorry to give you duff info sad.png

I have already signed on but they forgot to give me a high-viz thing; I was told I'd get given it on Saturday (uh oh identified who I am on the internet to at least someone lol) but cheers for the info anyway smile.png

(On that note I frigging love one thing they did give me when signing on was an ashtray. A brilliant fuck you to politically correct types, that smile.png )

So that's what it is (an ashtray) we thought it may be a naff salt container for a designer kitchen (lol), in previous years we've had useful things like an insulated cup ,but most useful a blue wooly hat which was an inspired pressie .

I flipping love this thread, it's nice to read something funny where people are willing to (1) be helpful (shocking) and (2) take the piss out of themselves before all the Trolls can!!

Good work fella's, you've made I laaauuuggghhh! thumbsup.gif

maybe you could consider being a marshal not only do we have the choice of the best viewing positions , on the mountain where I marshal, you meet some comical folk who don't take themselves too seriously and you're guaranteed a laugh. That said they are are good mates and are there for you and can be relied on if , thankfully rarely , it does "kick off".

So that's what it is (an ashtray) we thought it may be a naff salt container for a designer kitchen (lol), in previous years we've had useful things like an insulated cup ,but most useful a blue wooly hat which was an inspired pressie .

Are you sure it's not something to put under the bikestand to stop it sinking into the mud?

For the benefit of anyone else who's morbidly obese, please now be aware that the hi viz thing will fit you, cause it un-velcros at the front. Even jabba the hut could manage this smile.png

Oh and tonight was, erm, easy, cause everything was cancelled apart from a newcomers speed controlled lap.... about an hour of standing around, saw bikes go pat for five minutes.... We need more marshalls on the mountain please! If the guys I was with were representative, it's a nice bunch up there :)

For the benefit of anyone else who's morbidly obese, please now be aware that the hi viz thing will fit you, cause it un-velcros at the front. Even jabba the hut could manage this smile.png

Oh and tonight was, erm, easy, cause everything was cancelled apart from a newcomers speed controlled lap.... about an hour of standing around, saw bikes go pat for five minutes.... We need more marshalls on the mountain please! If the guys I was with were representative, it's a nice bunch up there smile.png

May I say, as a fellow mountain marshal, that we welcome perceptive individuals such as your good self , and could do with a few more "locals" on the first few days of practice until the reinforcements arrive from "across".

I'm 25 stone (well nearly), 5ft 11 (the real dimension, I'm taller than quite a few so-called six-feet tall people)

Have they signed you up as a temporary roundabout?

Someone told me the reason he was a 'big fella' was because he was so sexually active , every time he gave a relative of yours "a portion" she gave him a biscuit biggrin.png

Archived