Nvidia Project Shield

Shill

Saw this has been announced in the last few days. Basically it is a controller with a 5" screen with the Tegra 4 chipset running Android. However the beauty of this device is that you can play PC games over your home network as long as you have a Nvidia GTX650 or above (Keplar) graphics card in your PC. It also has a HDMI output meaning it can connect to your telly easily.

So basically a PC console with android.

Some more detailed info here, the keynote video is included - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-nvidia-project-shield-spec-analysis

I watched the video with interest and initially quite liked it, but on reflection its just a strange shaped cumbersome android tablet. Why would someone want to stream a game from the next room (compatible card aside) when you can walk into the next roon and play it on the PC?

Apart from that as a USP, its just a weird shaped tablet with a small screen isnt it?

seems to allow similar usage as the new wii u, in that you can play a game while the TV/monitor is in use on a little handheld screen instead. i have a wii u and basically use the handheld as a large gameboy. it has the range to be able to play upstairs where the wii is not situated.. i would expect the next incarnation for nintendo maybe to release a controller for the wii u that doubles as a 3ds and can take the cartridges to play 3 ds games, the main screen could be double sided with the 3d screen hidden inside face to face with a 2d screen and a 2d screen on the back of the 3d screen making it look similar to the current wii u controller. but when you flip up the single screen you expose a 3d and 2d screen inside that then shuts off the screen you could see innitially which now faces away from you..

dave, the main benefit I see is that most people tend to have their PC's in other rooms, with this I can play PC games downstairs on my big telly. Without having to run cables everywhere. Basically a PC console.

Slim, that's quite a sweeping statement. How can your existing tablet play AAA PC games on your TV ?

What this does is via your home network is connect to your geforce Graphics card and lets you play any game via Steam on your TV through a HDMI cable or to the device itself. Ok it has it's limitations, as in you need to have a Geforce 650 or above graphics card in your PC.

I like the idea of playing Far Cry 3 on the bog or in front of my TV in my warm living room :)

Onlive is completely different Slim, that is cloud based gaming over your internet connection. Shield uses your own private network so 100MB+ to your local PC either via wireless or ethernet to play anywhere around the home. I know it wont suit everyone. But my PC is in my office and wouldnt want to bring it all down to the front room. This handheld lets me do that without having to move the PC. Plus I get the added bonus of a small android tablet which I havent got at the moment.

Onlive is completely different Slim, that is cloud based gaming over your internet connection. Shield uses your own private network so 100MB+ to your local PC either via wireless or ethernet to play anywhere around the home. I know it wont suit everyone. But my PC is in my office and wouldnt want to bring it all down to the front room. This handheld lets me do that without having to move the PC. Plus I get the added bonus of a small android tablet which I havent got at the moment.

Have you tried onlive? Works a treat, still wouldn't use it though. Same with the PS3 with remoteplay to the PSP/Vita. Can do it, Don't do it.

I predict a massive flop. I think the big new gaming gadgets may well be smart tv's/android mini consoles instead. That may involve some form of streaming from a desktop, but it won't be proprietary like this.

Onlive was terrible n ADSL2, better on VDSL (I get full 40mbit down) but it still lagged far too much for me

For example Unreal Tournament 3 at 5760x1200 at well over 100fps locally or onlive running it at 800x600 at 30fps (if that), so doing the streaming locally would help that considerably.

For me the big thing will be the price, reasonable and it will do well

Nope, just don't get it, the button layout looks horrible the sticks look to short and far to close, and I can't see a use case for it.

If you have to be on your local network to stream why wouldn't you just use your PC?

If you want to play your PC on your big TV in another room why not use a long HDMI cable, or if having wires around is an issue wireless HDMI?

I'm sure their is a niche market out there and its good to see manufacturers doing something "outside the box" but not for me, at least not with out a killer app and some compelling pricing.

Onlive was terrible n ADSL2, better on VDSL (I get full 40mbit down) but it still lagged far too much for me

For example Unreal Tournament 3 at 5760x1200 at well over 100fps locally or onlive running it at 800x600 at 30fps (if that), so doing the streaming locally would help that considerably.

For me the big thing will be the price, reasonable and it will do well

Right, so an Onlive solution that works locally then. Doesn't need specific hardware.

That's the part I'm objecting to really, it's such a fringe requirement anyway, to remote control a gaming rig, to fragment it further by making it Nvidia gpu only + a dedicated hardware device is suicide. It'll flop.

Archived