Who are and what is?

thebees

Perhaps its just like the beach mission they used to have on PSM & PE beach back in the day - but at Rushen Abbey?

That used to be good fun when you were young - with minimal bible thumping

They do look like a bunch of god bothering freaks though

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the postings up to now appear to be from anti christians.

wrong

just don't like the look or manner of these hippies prancing about like fairies, I have no idea what impression innocent children would take home from a session like that, maybe some teachers could let us into the secret

Innocent children won't have sussed the prancing fairies, they will just see fun and enjoy the day rather than be stuck in a class room..

I wonder about these people also, but in this instance there is no harm being done.

I am absolutely certain that my grandkids teachers would suss the occasion and protect accordingly.

Journey guides? The day is a journey? Collective worshipping in a fun way?

They've even ripped off La Bamba.

They keep mentioning how it reinforces and ties in with the curriculum, to keep the DoE bunch happy. Oh and the 5 R's.

I don't like it and am immediately suspicious of it. I'm not anti-Christian, but I think Lifepath is just barmy. I wouldn't call it a cult, but brainwashing? Who knows...

I spent the day at Rushen Abbey today as a grand parent / helper and thoroughly enjoyed it as did the children. There is obviously a christian bias, not overdone and a lot of historical input about the Abbey and the monks. The staff have an excellent relationship with the children and the emphasis was on fun and respect for others. There is no bible bashing or praying and the Christian content is put over very subtly. I have also experienced their input in a school and they inspire some fascinating discussions opening up the children's minds and preparing them for secondary school. Religion is hardly mentioned although the leader makes them aware of his faith but not pushing it.

I'm not a Christian but I liked the assemblies in primary school when pastors from different churches would read stories to us from the Bible. It's good to remember there is more to life than chasing after money, career and social climbing.

Like a lot of people I'm ambivalent towards the God-botherers in schools. I was at primary school on the island in the 1990s and even then we had prayers and hymns every day, and there were regular talks from various bible bashing folks (Sally Army, CofE, Methodists). I'm pretty much an atheist now, but at the time I enjoyed the songs, the sermons, even the prayers. They gave structure to the day; they brought us a good deal of cultural and historical awareness; and gave us some musical education too. Not that all this can't be achieved through secular means.

But then I take after my dad in being highly skeptical, rational, and generally suspicious of people wearing silly costumes. I don't think I would ever have really believed in God, no matter how many rounds of "how did Moses cross the Red Sea?" we were made to sing.

Maybe those kids who are drawn in by religions are inclined to it anyway. It has been found that propensity toward belief is a genetic trait (of course upbringing plays a part).

On the other hand, allowing a set of beliefs which have historically caused a fair bit of trouble to take a privileged place in society (even in schools) is affirming and validating them. We shouldn't encourage that.

Remember, religion has caused many wars, based on a simple principle. "Well, my imaginary friend is the only imaginary friend and he doesn't like you!"

"Well, he'll let you be friends with him, but only if you aren't friends with people who aren't friends with him and always do as I say he says to."

Religion still causes as many problems as it allegedly solves.

The scary thing is, this must have passed the DoE approval.

I don't think the people who are posting here really understand why it is wrong to have any religious message or representation given in school.

It doesn't matter how subtle it is or whether the kids are having an amazing time.

The issue is about having people push their beliefs, however, subtly onto those who aren't in a position to critical examine and assess what they are being told.

Think about it. If a school introduces someone to the children then the assumption made by the latter is that it is a credible authority on the subject or someone who has some credibility with regard to knowledge - I mean, why else should they be invited.

But religious shouldn't be given any credibility in a school RE is fine, but not mentioning God in any way that makes the idea of God seem credible. It's a form of indoctrination no matter how subtle.

I don't think the people who are posting here really understand why it is wrong to have any religious message or representation given in school.

How the hell do you know that? Are you omniscient? Maybe you are God... but then you are an atheist... if you are also omnipotent, can you deny yourself? Can you deny yourself out of existence?

Because a number of posters seem to be taking the bizarre line of thinking that outright bible thumping is bad but somehow subtle indoctrination is ok, especially when it involves fun. If they have a problem with bible thumping that is very obvious then they should naturally object to subtle indoctrination. The presumption is on indoctrination being the issue and not how obvious something is.

I suppose the issue is less about other posters lack of understanding but their lack of thinking on the issue.

All state institutions should be strictly secular, and if any religious education is delivered in schools it ought to be aimed at equipping children for critical thought in this area, not at inculcating any particular belief.

Letting various religious groups in to talk to children is an awful idea for the reason that LDV mentions. Whatever they may say, I simply cannot accept that they would not be proselytising at some level, subtle or not.

Archived