Education system 'envy of colleagues in UK'

Cronky

Featured again on Manx Radio today:

NUT delegation impressed by Manx schools

http://www.manxradio.com/oNews/uploaded/audio/124662-1.mp3

The Isle of Man's education system has been described as inspirational by a visiting group of head teachers.

. . . The National Union of Teachers, which organised the visit, says the abolition of SATs exams and the lack of OFSTED inspections means Island children are offered more creative lessons - and are more likely to enjoy their time at school.

But if you listen to the broadcast the emphasis is on how much easer the Manx system is for head teachers.

The NUT, of course, represents teachers - not children. And what is good for teachers is not necessarily good for children.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take your example of my initial response to Keith. Keith was ridiculing someone who had suggested that maybe we shouldn't align ourselves with the UK education system, being totally ignorant to the possibility that suitable or even better alternatives could exist.

...immigrants from the UK openly, publically and constantly belittling any differences from the UK with immunity from any criticism in response.

The real irony is the "railing against me" that you have done for daring to suggest that the possibilty of aligning ourselves with anywhere else but the UK in education terms. I don't even think you realise you're doing it. I accept your reasons of proximity and language however I suspect the real reason is more because it's where you come from & and have the common attitude of superior self importance that often goes with it.

That is bollocks!

I was responding to TJ's comment "I think we should do away with all connection to the UK education system and stop comparing ourselves to them" by asking him to clarify what was meant and what would be put in place instead. I have repeatedly asked you the same. What can be put in place that maintains standards, meets the requirements of further education off island, would be free of political interference, would be fair and not open to abuse. And won't cost more to implement?

You suggested that an "exam board" would set the exams. But we don't have one, so this will cost money to set up & run. Will they be directly answerable to The Minister? Are you confident that this would be free from ministerial interference? Or would an education Minister appoint a crony to run the new board, then he'd make exams easier to increase pass marks, thus 'proving' what a great job him mate The Minister was doing?

And students will mark the papers for peanuts. You don't think there's any chance that those students would know the author of the paper that they're marking? In a straight forward exam with right or wrong answers it may be easy to make them anonymous, but for an essay etc it wouldn't be difficult to find out who is marking and give them a 'hint', you could have older siblings marking younger ones papers. On an island this small, it would happen easily enough.

As I said to you in an earlier post... "If you can demonstrate to me that this would not cost money that we don't have and would not lead to lower standards, then I'll happily support you".

You really are a beauty. At no point has anyone suggested that anybody spend money setting up an exam board. TJ simply suggested that we don't align ourselves with the UK or compare ourselves to them.

It is entirely your blinkered & up your own ass opinion that has decided this means setting up an exam board on the Island. Read my initial response where I accuse you of being "another comeover that thinks you fall off the end of the world at the white cliffs of Dover". What do you think I mean by that?

What I mean is that you're so insular about where you come from, you barely even acknowledge the existence of a world beyond it. Wrighty is the same, his reasons for importing comeovers and following the UK education system is proximity and language as well as easier entry to UK universities than there would be with a Danish / Korean system. He doesn't even consider the idea that Ireland for example has the same advantages and an excellent education system.

He also considers me to be "anti comeover" because I regularly "rail " against people trying to force this small minded Britishness on us simple Manx people. I would like to see any example of my railing against a non British comeover or even a British one who hasn't displayed the kind of attitude I have described.

All I'm saying is that aligning ourselves with the UK education system MAY not be the best thing for the Island & alternatives are atleast worth considering. Even parts of the UK don't use it so don't tell me it's not possible.

Archived