VDSL Coverage (again)

2 hours ago, somewhatdamaged said:

Are you on one of their vectoring firmwares Joey?  I had to install one of them since MT started enabling vectoring on lines, and causing problems island wide

ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2860/Firmware/v3.8.5/

My draytek was having tons of drop offs, and after much back and forth with WiManx, it transpired (after having to find out myself) that MT changing my (and many others!) line to vectoring enabled and had all but killed my internet connection, with me having up to 30 drop offs overnight.  

On a side note, i'm ditching Wimanx after 9 years and moving back to MT.  Really feel WiManx has massively gone downhill since the engineers like Matty have left, and the tech guys you speak to now, although nice, are more akin to school leavers than the previous top quality guys they had.  Had a ton of poor feedback about them in my office, and know a few people who have either moved to MT, or switched to 4G.  Looking forward to being able to watch YouTube without constant buffering, as i suspect WiManx are using pretty heavy traffic shaping.  Manx Telecom, i would suspect, have vastly more bandwidth available

What's the feedback on 4G been like?  I set it up for a relative 18 months back but it was a poor experience all around back then, I know there has been on going investment in the infrastructure so would be curious to know if it's worth another try.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, somewhatdamaged said:

Are you on one of their vectoring firmwares Joey?  I had to install one of them since MT started enabling vectoring on lines, and causing problems island wide

ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2860/Firmware/v3.8.5/

My draytek was having tons of drop offs, and after much back and forth with WiManx, it transpired (after having to find out myself) that MT changing my (and many others!) line to vectoring enabled and had all but killed my internet connection, with me having up to 30 drop offs overnight.  

I did have the Draytek 3.8.5 vectoring firmware installed and it was (until this week) working relatively well at ~70Mbps. With the recent issues, I am now working my way through the four variations of 3.8.4 vectoring firmware. The challenge (as I found yesterday) with swapping firmware is the subsequent reboot... and it not obtaining sync again. 

To be honest, I haven't needed to raise a support case with Wi-Manx for years. In this instance, their help desk has been very responsive and diligently assisting wherever possible.

I think the challenges with vectoring,  profiles and compatibility is not just limited to Wi-Manx. The fact Draytek felt it necessary to have four different vectoring firmwares to try is testament to that! 

2 hours ago, MrFunk said:

I'm backwards and forwards with Wi-Manx at the moment.  We've had a lot of disconnections and generally a drop in speeds of about 25% since we first signed up for VDSL2.  The disconnections started over the summer.  They mentioned vectoring but we've got the latest firmware installed so that shouldn't be an issue.  The disconnections seem to be related to having "anything" else plugged in to the phone line, all of a sudden our line to the green box has become a delicate little flower!  Not sure whether our speed drops have been a gradual thing or all of a sudden but I know that when we first got VDSL2 is was syncing at around 60Mbps and right now it's stuttering along at 45ish (if we don't plug a phone in).

Just as I finished typing my previous response... I noticed the DECT phone displayed 'Check Line'. On ringing my landline from a mobile as a test... the broadband died. 

Yep that's the one.  Our phone isn't clever enough to detect line issues but the error log on the router coincides with when we're likely to have made or received phone calls.  It doesn't drop the connection every time, but a lot.  I'm half expecting to be told to buy a new phone where as in my head I thought maybe our master socket was playing up (speed issues as well) but I know MT have been playing with the cabinet all summer.  Quite good to know it's not only us.  Can you do me a favour and log it with Wi-Manx, if it's not an isolated case they might be more likely to escalate it as something worth looking at?

With regards to the 4G stuff, my boss was getting around 28Mb on his WiManx connection, and said it was sometimes dropping down to below 9 in the evenings.  He has four kids, each with Xbox One or PC, and then you add in Netflix etc.  He's had the 4G router for a couple of weeks and said he has been absolutely blown away by how good it is.  Says averages around 35 down and 10 up.  All for a good value £25 a month.  Truly unlimited too, as he stressed to them about how much bandwidth his kids use and said there couldn't be any limits

I am with sure and have a openreach huawei hg612 3b purchased from ebay currently syncing between 60 and 70.

I think vectoring is being enabled tonight on my line so it will be interesting to see what happens as crosstalk has lost me about 40% over the last few years.

I thought the installation of a vdsl faceplate prevented telephone interference?

Guest MrFunk

Ours is sorted.  Long story short is that after making a fuss of it a couple of times our line has magically stopped dropping out.  Speed @46'ish is still way down on when we first upgraded but it is at least stable.  Nothing at all has changed with the setup here but ISP and MT saying nothing has been done, just a happy coincidence that after months of crap connection within a few weeks of moaning it's fixed itself. 

Edit - Just compared our line settings from when it wasn't working and now, SRA and G.INP has been disabled on our line.  

Do your modems actually show vectoring is enabled?  Mine is saying it isn't and I have had no speed change after the maintenance window in which it was supposed  enabled on my cabinet.

In the couple of weeks leading up to that I also noticed that G.inp had been disabled but in my case it has increased my ping and lost me about 4 -5 mbps on throughput with it off.

I believe vectoring is definitely active and working

There are two factors in my case. I suspect there is some iterative tweaking of DSL profiles (or a change in profiles) and a hard line fault. My guess is the latter is the primary factor here - but I am still waiting for an engineer to look.

v_Capture.JPG

This is reinforced by the fact my stats are horrendous

stats1.JPG

[ I have no devices except the router plugged in, no extensions, etc. ]

MT fixed a fault with the incomer to my house. Now syncing at full whack. 

Safe to assume (so far) that Drayteks work with vectoring. In my case, the deterioration due to the fault coincided with the presumed profile changes

speed1.JPG

Archived