VDSL Coverage (again)

I asked about fibre optic boxes this morning, and why one wasn't in a area of new houses, answer, they can't get planning permission, my speed is about 5mbps, never hit anything higher since I've had Broadband, if MT can't provide a proper service, they should be made under their licence to charge at least 70% less for Broadband.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your response. I did what you said and talked to WiManx. They say that even when they provide a router, they do not provide access points to extend the signal to the rest of the house. We know by experience that one router will not cover the whole house. And they don't provide an engineer to help with the installation of their router together with someone else's access points/extenders. They send you to ServiceTech instead, which does not answer phone calls on a Saturday and, if you look at its website, only serves business customers. Next stop PC World?

Thanks for your response. I did what you said and talked to WiManx. They say that even when they provide a router, they do not provide access points to extend the signal to the rest of the house. We know by experience that one router will not cover the whole house. And they don't provide an engineer to help with the installation of their router together with someone else's access points/extenders. They send you to ServiceTech instead, which does not answer phone calls on a Saturday and, if you look at its website, only serves business customers. Next stop PC World?

PC Solutions, MannageIT or plenty of others before PC World if you are looking for advice and assistance.

I cant blame wimanx for not getting involved in home wifi. Users want it to work all the time and be as fast as a wire but there are too many external variables for them to be able to guarantee it. I am sure if they suggested service tech they will be able to help.

I am surprised MT, sure or wimanx or a combination do t advise people o. The difference between an Internet provision and the provision of wifi around a house. Most houses won't manage with the single entry level routers supplied for free, and the number of people you hear complaining about "crap internet" because they are on the same wifi channel as their neighbours and are connected to a three year old router located four rooms away is amazing - that stupid shops page on FB is full of it again this weekend.

A lot of the gear you can get nowadays is really quite easy to set up.

Most of it has been designed for one-button configuration, then it will copy the settings from your router and just work quite happily.

Home wifi is an evil thing and ISPs treat it as not being their problem for the most part.

Something like this kit http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WPA281KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Smartphone/dp/B00ECBRGW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413721491&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+powerline

They seem steep but tend to be quite reliable and make an enormous difference, as for the most part, you can put the 2nd access point in a mains socket anywhere in the house. The only thing they don't like is surge protectors.

There's also a triple pack for £15 more which comes with 2 wireless access points. It's the easy option, and means you shouldn't need a technician out either.

YMMV but I used to have a repeater router on the top of my three story town house connected over the Cat5 network as the wireless signal was not strong enough for mobile devices when I had a Netgear router. I switched to a Fritzbox and found the wireless signal was good enough to dispense with the repeater entirely.

• 2 years later...

Flogging a very dead horse I know but.

+3 years (nearly wink.png ) from my original post, can I get VDSL can I buggery and now MT have the affront to say they're going to charge me £3 a month more as I'm not a 'loyal' customer.

Trust me MT if you actually delivered the service that you think you do I'd be a damn site more loyal. Robbing corporate !@£$@£$!!!!!

Have a nice day smile.png

P.S. I eventually nailed a 1m dish to the side of my house and get a more than adequate 40Mb/20Mb (down/up) over Sure's 4G. Just a shame they use carrier NAT and cannot provide fixed IP's but hey nothings perfect.

So essentially MT are putting their fixed line rental up by £3.00 per month and also their broadband services by £0.50 per month. However they will provide a discount to customers who take landline, broadband and contract mobile with them of £4.50 thus saving a £1.00 per month for being a 'loyal' customer.

So basically you get penalised for freedom of choice.

Well that stinks. I have no plans to switch from Wimanx but even if I was tempted, I wouldn't qualify as I have a works issued phone (MT as it happens) so I don't have any mobile phones on my own MT account.

It will be interesting to see if the wholesale landline rates are going up as well, or if this is just a retail commercial decision by MT.

Guest MrFunk

How much cheaper is the Sure landline and has anybody tried it and seen what their support is like? I'd be amazed if it can be any worse than MT anyway but over here you can never know for certain! I guess we are pretty typical of most MT landline customers in that we only have it to enable broadband (Wi-Manx in our case) and I could count the number of calls we make on it in a year on one hand. Looks like we are exactly the sort of customer that MT seem determined to fuck over for the benefit of their shareholders.

If I can get the basic landline for cheaper and still get to stay with Wi-Manx then I'm changing.

https://web.sure.com/isleofman/home-phone/sure-home-phone-charges

£13.50 is their landline rental currently. I'm not sure if this will be changing on the 1st May as well though.

MT Landline equivalent is £14.45 for choice rental which will rise to £17.45 on the 1st May according to their press release.

I completely agree that it's daft when you only want to use your line for broadband, there should be a naked DSL product on the Island thus eliminating the need for line rental if you are just using the line for data.

https://web.sure.com/isleofman/home-phone/sure-home-phone-charges

£13.50 is their landline rental currently. I'm not sure if this will be changing on the 1st May as well though.

MT Landline equivalent is £14.45 for choice rental which will rise to £17.45 on the 1st May according to their press release.

I completely agree that it's daft when you only want to use your line for broadband, there should be a naked DSL product on the Island thus eliminating the need for line rental if you are just using the line for data.

Manx T own the cabling don't they? So if the rental cost is eliminated who pays for using their wires?

Just had Bluewave installed this afternoon - be interesting to see how it performs

Archived