VDSL Coverage (again)

So essentially MT are putting their fixed line rental up by £3.00 per month and also their broadband services by £0.50 per month. However they will provide a discount to customers who take landline, broadband and contract mobile with them of £4.50 thus saving a £1.00 per month for being a 'loyal' customer.

So basically you get penalised for freedom of choice.

Presumably PAYG will not count as contract? If that s the case they are real rip off merchants.

Also Manx.net email has been crap all week with lots of outages.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would love fibre. But we all know that the cost from cabinet to house is the most expensive. Recently seen that google fibre is deploying wifi access points onto street lights. Which should reduce the cost.

Seems like a good idea. So just a quick poll to see if there is any interest in something like this. At the momeent just in the idea stage. But i would love a 1Gbps symetric connection.

Reply to this with the area you live, if you have any interest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone get an unexpected speed boost this last week?

I was on ultima and syncing at around 38 mbps. About 12 months ago upgraded to ultima plus and immediately my upload was syncing at over 8mbps but my download went down to 37 mbps!! Considering my sync speed on ultima i was obviously expecting a decent speed increase but i gave them a call and they said everything was fine at their end.

Anyway - fast forward to the end of last week and i checked out the sync speed on my router and it was syncing well over 90mbps (now sitting at 89 mbps)

So the speed has more than doubled!!

Either they have made some behind the scenes improvements or they forgot to flick a switch when mine was upgraded and its somehow come to light and been fixed.

Anyone else notice anything similar?

• 1 month later...

With the recent maintenance work, has anyone noticed a reduction in VDSL2 speeds?

I am probably 100m from the ISAM and my sync speeds seems to have reduced from around 75Mbps down to 35Mbps. Nothing has changed on the router/configuration/etc. DSL was actually off earlier today, sprung back into life this evening.

Router is a Draytek 2860 - been stellar until recently... and now a lot slower.

Are you on one of their vectoring firmwares Joey?  I had to install one of them since MT started enabling vectoring on lines, and causing problems island wide

ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2860/Firmware/v3.8.5/

My draytek was having tons of drop offs, and after much back and forth with WiManx, it transpired (after having to find out myself) that MT changing my (and many others!) line to vectoring enabled and had all but killed my internet connection, with me having up to 30 drop offs overnight.  

On a side note, i'm ditching Wimanx after 9 years and moving back to MT.  Really feel WiManx has massively gone downhill since the engineers like Matty have left, and the tech guys you speak to now, although nice, are more akin to school leavers than the previous top quality guys they had.  Had a ton of poor feedback about them in my office, and know a few people who have either moved to MT, or switched to 4G.  Looking forward to being able to watch YouTube without constant buffering, as i suspect WiManx are using pretty heavy traffic shaping.  Manx Telecom, i would suspect, have vastly more bandwidth available

18 hours ago, joeyconcrete said:

With the recent maintenance work, has anyone noticed a reduction in VDSL2 speeds?

I am probably 100m from the ISAM and my sync speeds seems to have reduced from around 75Mbps down to 35Mbps. Nothing has changed on the router/configuration/etc. DSL was actually off earlier today, sprung back into life this evening.

Router is a Draytek 2860 - been stellar until recently... and now a lot slower.

I'm backwards and forwards with Wi-Manx at the moment.  We've had a lot of disconnections and generally a drop in speeds of about 25% since we first signed up for VDSL2.  The disconnections started over the summer.  They mentioned vectoring but we've got the latest firmware installed so that shouldn't be an issue.  The disconnections seem to be related to having "anything" else plugged in to the phone line, all of a sudden our line to the green box has become a delicate little flower!  Not sure whether our speed drops have been a gradual thing or all of a sudden but I know that when we first got VDSL2 is was syncing at around 60Mbps and right now it's stuttering along at 45ish (if we don't plug a phone in).

Archived