VDSL Coverage (again)

Has there been any update from MT since the 2013 'state of the nation' report about the VDSL coverage?

On their website they claim to have the 12 exchanges + 26 Fibre cabs, which is nice, but don't provide any location for same or coverage maps info?

Since 2011 once a year I ring up MT to find out when VDSL is coming to my area only to be told 'its coming'. About a year ago a medium size green box appeared on the coast road just outside Ramsey proudly displaying 'Fibre Broadband is here'. My house, if you measure the road path not 'as the crow flies' is 1.1km from this box but no VDSL. Talking to Telecom the response was 'ah there must be a reason'. I'm so glad I live in the sticks, as must be the other 30/40 house holders who live right next to me!

Anyone have any updates on whats happening? given their previous efforts I'm worried they've reached the 'good enough' stage and are now onto the next big money making thing.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Shill, it just confirms what I already knew.

Speed Estimates for 81XXXX ADSL Download 2.5Mb/s - 3.5Mb/s(A) ADSL2+ Download 4Mb/s - 5Mb/s(A)

My Cisco 887VA manages 6Mb/s so can't complain on that front but..... common MT I still want VDSL its not as if I live on the top of Snaefell!

Has there been any update from MT since the 2013 'state of the nation' report about the VDSL coverage?

On their website they claim to have the 12 exchanges + 26 Fibre cabs, which is nice, but don't provide any location for same or coverage maps info?

Since 2011 once a year I ring up MT to find out when VDSL is coming to my area only to be told 'its coming'. About a year ago a medium size green box appeared on the coast road just outside Ramsey proudly displaying 'Fibre Broadband is here'. My house, if you measure the road path not 'as the crow flies' is 1.1km from this box but no VDSL. Talking to Telecom the response was 'ah there must be a reason'. I'm so glad I live in the sticks, as must be the other 30/40 house holders who live right next to me!

Anyone have any updates on whats happening? given their previous efforts I'm worried they've reached the 'good enough' stage and are now onto the next big money making thing.

It depends where your telephone wire is connected and so forth, it might not follow the route to that green box, instead going via somewhere else.

For example, in Ramsey, the pondy can get VDSL but Greenlands Avenue can't, because all the wiring snakes through the Pondy first, and despite being within 100m of the box, the residents can't get it, or at least that was the case a few months ago, long after the new box was installed.

I think you'll find that the green box with "fibre broadband is here" written on it is about as accurate as any of MT's advertising. There are many green boxes the Island over who have those stickers on which don't have fibre broadband anywhere near them.

Take whatever MT tell you, especially if it's by way of an advert, with a bucket full of salt. If you don't believe me ask the Advertising Standards Authority who know them well.

Exactly Monkey Boy, looking at the larger Fibre to the cabinet unit outside B&Q and others I strongly suspect it isn't, just random MT hyperbol. For the record I'm well aware of whys and wherefores of who can and cannot get it and why, so again I come back to my questions, where are the 26 fibre cabinets, what is the coverage map and what future roll out plans are in-place? As Jack Nicholson's character said 'Is this as good as it gets?'

It depends where your telephone wire is connected and so forth, it might not follow the route to that green box, instead going via somewhere else.

For example, in Ramsey, the pondy can get VDSL but Greenlands Avenue can't, because all the wiring snakes through the Pondy first, and despite being within 100m of the box, the residents can't get it, or at least that was the case a few months ago, long after the new box was installed.

Basically this.

It might be worth asking MT what the chances are of getting you re-routed to the fibre cabinet that is 1.1km away from you instead of to Ramsey which I'm sure looking at your results you are going to now.

Thanks Shill, I have tried that only to be told that wasn't an option, again I suspect that the cabinet in question _isn't_ a fibre cab after all and that my line already goes through it.

Unless MT choose some extremely convoluted path from my house to Ramsey the 'green' box is a logical junction i.e. it's a straight line from my house to the box to the exchange. The topography around the whole area is one of woodland/hills and rocky coastline which are all non conducive to cheaply laying cable ducts. Follow the road (and the MT access hatches) and you logically end up at 'the box'.

Whilst this is fun, my guess is 'no one knows' outside MT in regard to my questions, and they are not telling.

We are now truly in the age where broadband coverage is a factor in house purchasing, had I known I'd be stuck in this black spot I'd certainly have thought twice!

Has anyone tried Blue Wave? What was your experience? We have Manx Telecom ADSL at present with Netgear router and access point but find the wifi connection slow and unreliable. Our wireless printer hates it and Sky box doesn't work with it at all. 2 PCs connect to it but my Apples (iPad and iPhones) drop the wifi connection frequently. All devices work fine elsewhere. MT say we are too far away from their green box to upgrade to their Ultimate high speed package. Is Blue Wave more reliable? Thanks for any advice.

Archived