Podcasts

guzzi

Ooh, thanks for the recommendations everyone!

On mine:

Fitness:

• NHS Couch to 5K - really good this one for absolute beginners
  • (looking for more fitness podcasts, especially cycling if anyone can recommend good ones I'd be grateful!)

Astro:

• 2020 Astro - Practical Astronomy in 20 Minutes in a pub! - Ok, this one's mine :) Two of us in a pub chatting about practical astronomy. Although we haven't recorded anything new since I moved to this island we've got some new episodes planned for the not-too-distant future and the back catalogue isn't too dated, mostly recorded in 2012.
  • The Infinite Monkey Cage
  • The Jodcast
  • ESOcast
  • Science Magazine Podcast
  • Deep Astronomy

Techie/work related:

• CNET UK Podcast
  • Freelance Advisor
  • .NET Rocks
  • HMRC Podcasts
  • Channel 9
  • Herding Code
  • Build and Analyze
  • The Talk Show
  • Engadget

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, I gave up on Mike after a few days, I thought he was awful. May give it another try then.

Always sounded like Sarah was very aggressive with him, and he definitely floundered. She's been wellied off now, and they have a guest on every day. It's much better now, and given time to explain himself, he's very good.

Couple I've not tried there Mikew, will give em a go!

Bobb: aye, and I recommend Squarespace to everyone too despite never having used it, it's hard not to!

Ah, I gave up on Mike after a few days, I thought he was awful. May give it another try then.

Always sounded like Sarah was very aggressive with him, and he definitely floundered. She's been wellied off now, and they have a guest on every day. It's much better now, and given time to explain himself, he's very good.

I enjoyed him a a guest on TWiT and MBW but was disapointed with him on Tech News. Will give hime another go

Two downsides with the American podcasts.

The signal/noise ratio tends to be lower than UK ones ("coming up on...", "today we're talking about...", "here's a clip you've already heard twice...")...and I have an irrational desire to subscribe to Trunk Club.

Two Brit podcasts that I'm about to give up on are The Big Show and The Mac Show from British Tech Network. Occasionally funny, but far too much noise most of the time

Awesome! Since expanding my podlist, I've learned about

How snakes move

The real story of Typhoid Mary

The Football, and The Biscuit

How CPI data is gathered

Creeping privatisation in the UK

The medical basis of fear

Where AIDS came from originally

The story of the High Five

and much much more. Thanks all.

Slim, thanks for the info about 'Invisibilia', I've had a listen & really enjoyed it. Very thought provoking and refreshingly presented. I must say that there are some excellent things coming out of the US NPR system.

Slim, thanks for the info about 'Invisibilia', I've had a listen & really enjoyed it. Very thought provoking and refreshingly presented. I must say that there are some excellent things coming out of the US NPR system.

Great, glad you enjoyed it. All Songs Considered is superb too from NPR.

Yes, interesting that they're particularly strong on Audio at NPR, I guess they've got a massive reach domestically so are very well resourced. To be fair the BBC are right up there too globally.

Oh, I forgot one.. it was a local one from Hampshire but very entertaining in a Radio 1 esque way. It's called, "The Boys in the Basement". They have some local bands on, and generally good banter. Worth a listen if you're up for some light entertainment.

Accidental Tech Podcast is often very interesting with Marco Arment, Casey Liss, and John Siracusa. Mostly iOS and Mac developer related. Obviously that touches many other areas. Properly recorded, soundwise.

20 secs at atp.fm will tell you whether it might be for you.

Joe Rogan Experience has a fascinating broad range of guests and discussion. High quality broadcast with video if you wish. Usually 3 hours long which is the only fence sitting area.

Archived