Knocking down a supporting wall

Cliff Hazard

Does anybody know the rough price of knocking through an internal supporting wall, installing an RSJ and making good? I'm not sure yet if it's Manx stone or brick, I imagine it would cost a bit more on labour if it is Manx stone.

many thanks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had something similar done a few years ago. You'll need a structural engineer to calculate the size of the RSJ required and the size of the padstones.

Is it just a door you're putting through or opening up the whole wall between 2 rooms? If the latter, the neatest way will be to have the RSJ put in the ceiling space with joist hangers in it for the floor above, rather than having it as a visible beam across.

Cost - don't know. Depends on size of the opening, how thick the wall is, what the side walls are like etc. I can recommend the builder that did mine a few years ago if you like via PM.

Thanks. Yes we want to open up the 2 rooms, I hadn't considered that the RSJ could be put into the ceiling, that would look better.

We do have a builder in mind already but yes, if you could also recommend someone so I can get a comparative quote, that would be great?

cheers

Does anybody know the rough price of knocking through an internal supporting wall, installing an RSJ and making good? I'm not sure yet if it's Manx stone or brick, I imagine it would cost a bit more on labour if it is Manx stone.

many thanks

just make sure you put support in first before you knock the wall down.....

Make sure that any builder has public liability insurance before you let them touch a thing. Putting an RSJ under the ceiling level and leaving slightly protruding sections from the side walls will probably be the least expensive option.

Thanks very much for the advice. I haven't moved in yet so am unsure of exactly what needs doing. The wall is supporting the joists above, I think. It's one of the 1st things we want to do with the place. will I need to get planning permission? I didn't consider a structural engineer, I hoped just a quote from a builder would do.

Gaffer tape!? Probably overkill I think, I only want it to hold for a few minutes. It's not the Guggenheim.

The wall will need support ("needles")when you break through as will the ceiling joists to each of the rooms (with "acro" props). If the construction is brick it's relatively straight forward if it's random stone/ lime mortar it could be " problematic ". I've had the odd nightmare with a flint /random rubble wall .

It may be possible to 'lose' the wall protruding down into the room resulting in a flat ceiling throughout the two rooms but it is a tad more expensive , but I think it looks better

If you have no experience with this type of work I would think it prudent to take on board the advice you have been given (above) and involve the local building control officer.

Good luck and I wish you well

Archived