MER services halted by overturned tram

The Sick Moon

Be careful on the trams out there guys . It's crazy! cool.png

"This was the scene at Laxey this morning after a Manx Electric Railway tram overturned.

Services between Laxey and Ramsey remain suspended following the incident by the road crossing outside Laxey station.

It is thought the trailer car overturned while being shunted and there were no passengers on board at the time.

MER services between Douglas and Laxey and the Snaefell Mountain Railway are running as usual."

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ther have been several "incidents" there since the "new improved safer" crossovers were installed at this location. Putting sharp radius pointwork on an already sharply curved track is not the greatest idea.

But hey I am Manx, the highly qualified experts imported from the UK know much better than I.

Struggle to see how it happened though, that type of trailer is very stable normally

Did you speak up at the time or are you wise with hindsight?

Putting sharp radius pointwork on an already sharply curved track is not the greatest idea.

But hey I am Manx, the highly qualified experts imported from the UK know much better than I.

Putting sharp radius pointwork on an already sharply curved track is not the greatest idea.

Not wise with hindsight, just experience.

I know people with years of experience who have done so about several aspects of the MER/SMR upgrade. Unfortunately, if you are not from across with a nice certificate and letters after your name, the powers that be are not interested in listening.

Archived