Isle of Man Newspapers Faux Pas

Fossils

I find this “commentary” fairly bemusing as well. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-examiner-comment-dont-believe-everything-you-read-everything-you-read-616804

Don’t believe everything you read … just sounds like a bit of a silly rant by IOM Newspapers about internet impersonation and fake news. I’m not sure what actual point they’re trying to make. The bit about the DBC emails at the end is a bit special as well. It sounds like they can’t let certain things lie. I’d have thought a half decent journalist would be able to actually explain what their specific objections are and to what. 

2 hours ago, Broadcasterman said:

Don’t believe everything you read … just sounds like a bit of a silly rant by IOM Newspapers about internet impersonation and fake news. I’m not sure what actual point they’re trying to make. The bit about the DBC emails at the end is a bit special as well. It sounds like they can’t let certain things lie. I’d have thought a half decent journalist would be able to actually explain what their specific objections are and to what. 

They don't seem to be the only ones.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Broadcasterman said:

I really don’t understand the whole piece. I think you picking that bit out is a bit of a dud on your part as it’s a minor point in context. 

It doesn’t makes any sense. I think the editor of the paper just has a real issue with social media. It probably curtails their advertising revenue. 

I read and pay for the paper copies. Every week. There is a lot more reported in there than reaches the general headlines, especially in court. Our Island is full of wee shits and our jail is too small and clearly too cushy seeing the numbers queueing up for a bit of porridge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Manxman1234 said:

Even their facebook stories and at least 3 days after other places have reported it

its almost like they just have people waiting to copy and paste stories from other news outlets, although days behind them 

The stance they take in that makes me laugh when they run a comments section themselves where anyone can set up an account named  “Alf Cannan” or “David Ashford” and make a comment without any checks but they are so sniffy about their view on fake news and the impersonation of MHKs on other platforms. Certainly double standards. 

6 hours ago, Manxman1234 said:

Even their facebook stories and at least 3 days after other places have reported it

its almost like they just have people waiting to copy and paste stories from other news outlets, although days behind them 

It's what Barlow points out above, the priority is their print/digital editions of the newspapers.  To encourage people to buy those, they delay the release of tempting stories (based on the print) on their website by several days.  Most Facebook posts are just trailers for the website versions when those finally appear, so of course those are late by the same amount.

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

The stance they take in that makes me laugh when they run a comments section themselves where anyone can set up an account named  “Alf Cannan” or “David Ashford” and make a comment without any checks but they are so sniffy about their view on fake news and the impersonation of MHKs on other platforms. Certainly double standards. 

With regard to comments they're just doing what Manx Forums doing.  As John Wright has patiently explained numerous times over the years, if you only moderate comments reactively (ie when someone complains) then you don't become the publisher of those comments.  If you moderate proactively, checking them before they appear, then a media organisation may be assuming greater liability.

What you seem to be assuming is that the papers should be applying the same standards of responsibility to content they originate (news stories) and to that they don't (comments).  Which is obviously nonsense if you think about it.

54 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

With regard to comments they're just doing what Manx Forums doing.  As John Wright has patiently explained numerous times over the years, if you only moderate comments reactively (ie when someone complains) then you don't become the publisher of those comments.  If you moderate proactively, checking them before they appear, then a media organisation may be assuming greater liability.

What you seem to be assuming is that the papers should be applying the same standards of responsibility to content they originate (news stories) and to that they don't (comments).  Which is obviously nonsense if you think about it.

I agree but to my mind you can’t complain about a problem when you yourself have a platform that allows your own users to do exactly that. There’s nothing stopping anyone registering as “Alf Cannan” there and saying anything they like. Just like they’re accusing other platforms of allowing. 

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I agree but to my mind you can’t complain about a problem when you yourself have a platform that allows your own users to do exactly that. There’s nothing stopping anyone registering as “Alf Cannan” there and saying anything they like. Just like they’re accusing other platforms of allowing. 

But if a comment appears under the name 'Alf Cannan', pretending to be him, on an IOMN story, we all know to treat it sceptically and not assume it comes from the CM (just as we would here).  And if the real Alf Cannan complains to IOMN that someone is impersonating him, they would take comments down or block the user.

However as readers we have the right to assume that something appearing as a news item has been verified in some way, so Manx Radio should have done so on the fake story - in practice you would think they would contact the nominal sender anyway for possible extra info etc.  

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But if a comment appears under the name 'Alf Cannan', pretending to be him, on an IOMN story, we all know to treat it sceptically and not assume it comes from the CM (just as we would here).  And if the real Alf Cannan complains to IOMN that someone is impersonating him, they would take comments down or block the user.

But that’s no different to someone calling themselves Alf Cannan on Facebook or Instagram or Twitter (where you can even buy a blue tick for a few quid a month) in a fake profile either which looks to be the basic subtext of the story. It just seems odd to have a go at internet (Instagram) fakery when they also provide the readily available means for internet fakery. Consequently I’m not quite sure what the point is.